DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Is the University bubble about to burst?

BearyBear

sancho panza
5 hours ago, Castlevania said:

Parents are supposed to top up the loan. That’s why those from poorer households receive bigger loans.

The irony of enabling poorer kids to get into Uni by enabling tehm to have larger debts ....................Tony,Tony, where did it all go wrong?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Castlevania
14 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

The irony of enabling poorer kids to get into Uni by enabling tehm to have larger debts ....................Tony,Tony, where did it all go wrong?

It’s worse than that as poorer children tend to be the most debt averse.

23 hours ago, sancho panza said:

In itslf, thats not a bad thing.

I was a povo who went to Uni. However, I got a grant, small at the time, but I didnt spend fuckall.

The cuntness is somehow thinking that HE is magic and an 18yo will be magiced up the status/money ladder.

Even back when I graduated in the early 90s, Id guess ~50% of UG had wasted their time.

Now they are are getting into huge levels of debt plus the extra payroll ta is they ever find a job that pays over ~36k.

Even without the debt, the extra ~6 years of lost earnings means most will never catch up.

sancho panza
3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

In itslf, thats not a bad thing.

I was a povo who went to Uni. However, I got a grant, small at the time, but I didnt spend fuckall.

The cuntness is somehow thinking that HE is magic and an 18yo will be magiced up the status/money ladder.

Even back when I graduated in the early 90s, Id guess ~50% of UG had wasted their time.

Now they are are getting into huge levels of debt plus the extra payroll ta is they ever find a job that pays over ~36k.

Even without the debt, the extra ~6 years of lost earnings means most will never catch up.

I'd agree I was one of them.

Also agree on the 6 years of lsot earnings............hadn't thought of it like that.

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, BearyBear said:

Ups...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53280965 

13 UK universities 'could go bust without bailout'

Research intensive unis will have no trouble as they are less reliant on student numbers, and will get additional government funding anyway...those reliant on students that have a good reputation shouldn't have a problem as students will choose to go there anyway....so what are we left with?...the substandard and poorly managed, a natural cull of these should be welcomed!...if the government bails them out we will have the same scenario as the banks, and the problem/issue will just be `brushed under the carpet` until the next time.

Austin Allegro
On 06/07/2020 at 16:31, BearyBear said:

Ups...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53280965 

13 UK universities 'could go bust without bailout'

I am going to start listing the sidebar headlines on any BBC links given here. On this item we have:

• Something about 'women's problems'
  • Met apologises to black sprinter that they dared to question
  • Article about Trump book with dodgy picture of him
  • The Lockdown Drama Group for asylum seekers
  • Article about youngsters who hate Trump but also Obama because he's not left wing enough

1 hour ago, Austin Allegro said:

I am going to start listing the sidebar headlines on any BBC links given here. On this item we have:

• Something about 'women's problems'
  • Met apologises to black sprinter that they dared to question
  • Article about Trump book with dodgy picture of him
  • The Lockdown Drama Group for asylum seekers
  • Article about youngsters who hate Trump but also Obama because he's not left wing enough

This is an excellent reminder, I was going to call TV licensing today to cancel my direct debit. 

Done! Finally after many years. 

• 1 month later...

This made me think of this forum...

"There was a time when academia was society’s refuge for the eccentric, brilliant, and impractical. No longer. It is now the domain of professional self-marketers. As a result, in one of the most bizarre fits of social self-destructiveness in history, we seem to have decided we have no place for our eccentric, brilliant, and impractical citizens. Most languish in their mothers’ basements, at best making the occasional, acute intervention on the Internet."

From this article, which is lengthy but touches on a lot of themes from this forum. Well worth a read. 

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/of-flying-cars-and-the-declining-rate-of-profit

4 minutes ago, Hardhat said:

This made me think of this forum...

"There was a time when academia was society’s refuge for the eccentric, brilliant, and impractical. No longer. It is now the domain of professional self-marketers. As a result, in one of the most bizarre fits of social self-destructiveness in history, we seem to have decided we have no place for our eccentric, brilliant, and impractical citizens. Most languish in their mothers’ basements, at best making the occasional, acute intervention on the Internet."

From this article, which is lengthy but touches on a lot of themes from this forum. Well worth a read. 

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/of-flying-cars-and-the-declining-rate-of-profit

Home to the wierd, pervy, thick n unemployable now.

On 04/09/2020 at 16:43, BoSon said:

Are the unis having the normal influx of foreign (i.e. Chinese) students? O.o

Or mugging them off by charging the same for them to study from home. xD

They'll be experiencing a massive hole in their finances

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53063047

A fall in international students due to the coronavirus pandemic could leave Cardiff with a surplus of empty student flats, developers have warned.

Universities are predicting fewer students will start in September.

Managers of a number of private student developments have now said they will be in financial difficulty unless they can let to non-students.

One property expert said there was an "oversupply of high-end student rooms" and some could go into administration.

In recent years, a number of purpose-built student accommodation blocks (PBSAs) have been granted permission to be built in the city, with many aimed at international students and marketed as investment opportunities, including for pension schemes.

Since 2017, plans to create about 7,500 new privately managed student rooms have been approved by Cardiff council.

On 06/09/2020 at 22:59, JFK said:

They'll be experiencing a massive hole in their finances

The issue is, the majority of UK unis could not cover their research and teaching costs fully with UK/EU students, so overseas students paying double rate are so important. Now think about this in context of this years Coronavirus and exam mark fiasco, the first reduced the number of overseas students, and the second means any space was then taken with UK applicants who will be `taking` space in the university for at least three years....space that next years could have been taken by an overseas student. So taking just one cohort, the real cost is not a loss of 100% but actually 500% of fees...and this doesn't include the university accommodation, that is utilized more by overseas than UK students who travel from home or house share in the private sector.

On 13/09/2020 at 12:27, sancho panza said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53063047

A fall in international students due to the coronavirus pandemic could leave Cardiff with a surplus of empty student flats, developers have warned.

Universities are predicting fewer students will start in September.

Managers of a number of private student developments have now said they will be in financial difficulty unless they can let to non-students.

One property expert said there was an "oversupply of high-end student rooms" and some could go into administration.

In recent years, a number of purpose-built student accommodation blocks (PBSAs) have been granted permission to be built in the city, with many aimed at international students and marketed as investment opportunities, including for pension schemes.

Since 2017, plans to create about 7,500 new privately managed student rooms have been approved by Cardiff council.

Quick, can someone pass me my world’s smallest violin.  

11 hours ago, One percent said:

Quick, can someone pass me my world’s smallest violin.  

Thing is the millions of Chinks is a relative new thing.

Few n far between before ~2005

Unlikely to last as China rmaps up its HE sector and/or economy collapses.

HE seems to think the Chinese are here for good. They are not.

Thought these people were meant to be smart?

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

There will always be a greater fool though. 

4 hours ago, spygirl said:

the clever ones aren't necessarily working in Unis'.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/university-union-boss-took-home-530-000-lxfct0wdg

image.png.1aebfc96cbedc7aaab2acd447986c654.png

Thar she blows.....

https://wolfstreet.com/2020/09/14/delinquency-rates-of-student-housing-cmbs-already-spiked-in-2019-then-came-covid/

“Remote Learning” Sinks Student-Housing CMBS, After Delinquencies Had Already Spiked in 2019

by Wolf Richter • Sep 14, 2020 • 48 Comments

The formerly hot asset class was already troubled by a multiyear decline in student enrollment and a surge in upscale supply.

By Wolf Richter for WOLF STREET.

“Student housing,” a subcategory of multifamily housing (apartments) in commercial real estate, is now dealing with an existential crisis – similar to retail and lodging. The mortgages backed by this once a hot asset class have been packaged into commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS) and sold to investors. Students aren’t exactly stable tenants. And the risks are high even in the Good Times.

Delinquency rates of 30-plus-days on the student-housing mortgages that back $4.7 billion in “private label” CMBS (not backed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac) started surging in 2019, and by January 2020 hit 10%, under the impact of oversupply of student housing, particularly the trend to “luxury student housing,” that came along with the eight-year trend of declining student enrollment. And then the Pandemic washed over student housing.

And student-housing property prices are falling too. According to the Green Street Commercial Property Price Index, prices in August for student housing properties across the US have dropped by 11% since the onset of the Pandemic and by 12% over the past 12 months. This was behind only the 28% year-over-year plunge in prices of malls, the 25% plunge in prices of hotel properties, and the 14% drop in prices of strip-mall properties.

Archived