• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

MrPin

How slow or fast is the internet?

I used to have a VM cable connection, and a wired router, so any cause of slowness was external. Now I have a 4G dongle, which connects to my laptop via wireless. Obviously the basetation I connect to has a limited bandwidth, and that means contention with other users. But the wireless bit to my laptop also has to fight with many other users on the same 2.4GHz channel. There mustbe at least 6 of them. No way will this be good enough for HD streaming, if I ever wanted it.

2 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Fear not Lady Pin. BLAZE TV is purely via the airwaves. You will still be able to watch it on your telescreen regardless of your tinternet provider. 

For now.TV will eventually disappear, as the providers cannot see you watching it.

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

But the wireless bit to my laptop also has to fight with many other users on the same 2.4GHz channel. There mustbe at least 6 of them. 

A single 20 MHz channel can do 50-100 Mb/s, with a good signal strength.

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

But the wireless bit to my laptop also has to fight with many other users on the same 2.4GHz channel

it sounds like you might be in an asylum? Jack Nicholson might be able to help? Failing that, One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest is a very good film

Posted (edited)

I've tried lots of streaming solutions over the years......lots of kodi stuff......which has worked well in various countries, even with a 10mb internet connection

In the end I gave it up in favour of my using a desktop PC, the aforementioned sites, a USB stick and then shoving it in the hub of my TV!

This way I have a file on a stick! I know I will get zero buffering issues and complete movie, TV series enjoyment!!!

I also have an ageing samsung tablet that has been hacked and is proving remarkable resilient and I use this when I get really bored to cast youtube content to my TV....which happens to be a rather fancy Samsung too....

I love technology but sometimes a 'simple solution' works.....:)

Edited by 5min OCD speculator

Pissing up wind trying to get a decent streaming connection. Just torrent a good rip, and play it locally. I don't care if it takes two days to get. I'm not watching a 90 minute film for 3 days.

1 hour ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

MrPin as you are now aware BLAZETV is purely a medium for brainwashing the plebs!

I select what movies I want to watch via the sons of satans pirate boat......nudge nudge wink wink

use a VPN nudge wink and a massive modern TV!!

Funnily enough I was just thinking about torrenting........ Taking down torrenting sites really was just about world govts trying to cobble together ways it could control the internet, as most people who download "illegal" movies/music would never have paid for it anyway, and actually the vast majority of content available via these sites is probably perfectly legit.
The legislation they put in place during the early years of the war on digital piracy is the same legislation they now use to forced ISPs to block access to an undisclosed blacklist of websites AND the people who used those sites still do, the only people it's affected are the people who never used them, ie the majority of the general public......... Got someone who you don't want reaching an audience? like Tommy Robinson? make them disappear.

For torrents I'm using win XP on a virtual machine, with a VPN and accessing torrenting sites via all that plus the Tor browser.

4 minutes ago, Snark said:

as most people who download "illegal" movies/music would never have paid for it anyway, and actually the vast majority of content available via these sites is probably perfectly legit.

My completely legal DVD collection is huge, but illegal stuff is cheap to download, thanks to the fast internet.

There are some films I need to find out I won't buy., before I part with money. I believe some wit here metioned "Ant Man vs the Transformers". I'll not be downloading that.

34 minutes ago, Snark said:

For torrents I'm using win XP on a virtual machine, with a VPN and accessing torrenting sites via all that plus the Tor browser.

XP wow that takes me back! I use a flavour of arch linux called endeavouros......my VPN config uses openvpn is built into the ip stack so I just click on the network icon and select the connection.....interestingly I can only reach certain sites via a VPN now....... I had a go at Tor for educational purposes a few years but it made me feel like too much of a 'bad man', yes that's what years of TV brainwashing does to you xD

never had any issues just using chromium and firefox.......never used any AV for years cos it ain't windows, just ublock origin plugin

1 minute ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

i quite enjoyed the original!

You probably know my thoughts on these endless superhero films. I liked "Deadpool" however.

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

My completely legal DVD collection is huge, but illegal stuff is cheap to download, thanks to the fast internet.

There are some films I need to find out I won't buy., before I part with money. I believe some wit here metioned "Ant Man vs the Transformers". I'll not be downloading that.

The CIA publishes a list of the worst copyright infringing countries in the world - or at least used to. The top 3 countries were usually: China, Russia, Switzerland. 

It's legal to download anything on p2p in Switzerland. Uploading not so much so, but even then, the privacy laws mean that companies cannot ascertain identity from IP addresses.

It being legal to download in Switzerland was due to a government study that found that people who downloaded p2p content also had purchased more film & music content than those who didn't use p2p.

Like you, I download a lot, but I'm prepared to pay for for classic films/music - I have a lot of blu rays and CDs, and continue to buy them. I don't buy content on apple/google/netflix because DRM - If I can't copy it, sell it, or give it away - I don't think that I own it.

43 minutes ago, Heffalump said:

Like you, I download a lot, but I'm prepared to pay for for classic films/music - I have a lot of blu rays and CDs,

Yes, I think you should look at the "freeloading" as cheap advertising. Try before you buy.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

Good good but how do you get your content to your TV?

Kodi :)

When I rebuilt (as good as) this house I ran cat5 into every single room. Each room that has a TV has a PC or xbox running Kodi. All connected to the NAS via SMB or NTS.

NAS probably about 50 TB I think 4 HDs in RAID just in case.

EDIT: To add, before Kodi became the go-to for local market-dodgy-I know a guy-Wink Wink, it was used primarily as I use it, to house a physical collection of films/TV shows/music etc.

Double-Edit: Before anyone points out the glaring hypocrisy, I'm fully aware of it :)

Edited by Thombleached

9 hours ago, MrPin said:

I used to have a VM cable connection, and a wired router, so any cause of slowness was external. Now I have a 4G dongle, which connects to my laptop via wireless. Obviously the basetation I connect to has a limited bandwidth, and that means contention with other users. But the wireless bit to my laptop also has to fight with many other users on the same 2.4GHz channel. There mustbe at least 6 of them. No way will this be good enough for HD streaming, if I ever wanted it.

The trick is to live in the middle of nowhere so nobody else is using the transmitter and also have a fat antenna on the roof. We had 4G wired around the house and averaged about 45 down and up @ 2km from the EE mast.

That said the fibre here in Italy works nicely and even on wireless to the router manages 300 to 600 down and 120 to 160 up.. think those are about the limits of what mobile phone network cards can manage.

I've never illegally downloaded music or films. Not knowingly anyway. 

Is it possible to download just the audio part of a you tube video? There are two , where I'd really like the audio part as an MP3 file. They are just live versions of songs.