• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Covid19 and life to go

Human mind disproving science

I was just having a rinse and stuck some tunes on while doing so when the Sound of Silence came on (Disturbed version which as covers go is really good imo).

Anyway I was thinking that scientifically surely sound requires a wave of some sort else there is no sound.  However, as humans we can understand the 'sound' of silence (I recall it after moving house away from a twat of a dance music blasting neighbour).

I suppose that technically there is no such thing as even in the quiet rooms you can hear your own heartbeat/lungs/impulses but if we we're to somehow turn all that off we would still understand the sound of it, even though it's not possible in a scientific context.

Are there any other examples of such disproving of science by our weird existence?

Caveat: No I have not been on the juice. 

The way time varies depending on the circumstances eg if working 9am - 5pm waiting for the time to get to 5pm and it really dragging in a job you don't enjoy but if you're busy with a hobby or something you love, time passes really quickly.

23 minutes ago, Covid19 and life to go said:

I was just having a rinse and stuck some tunes on while doing so when the Sound of Silence came on (Disturbed version which as covers go is really good imo).

Anyway I was thinking that scientifically surely sound requires a wave of some sort else there is no sound.  However, as humans we can understand the 'sound' of silence (I recall it after moving house away from a twat of a dance music blasting neighbour).

I suppose that technically there is no such thing as even in the quiet rooms you can hear your own heartbeat/lungs/impulses but if we we're to somehow turn all that off we would still understand the sound of it, even though it's not possible in a scientific context.

Are there any other examples of such disproving of science by our weird existence?

Look up sensory deprivation. Zero sensory input drives people insane. 

23 hours ago, Covid19 and life to go said:

Well humans notice all sorts of absences.

It can certainly feel uncanny strange when you think you are sitting in silence and the air conditioning goes off, and it is suddenly “silenter”.