DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Won't somebody think of the children?

8 minutes ago, choochoo said:

My 11 year old has missed her last 3 months at primary, with everything that goes with it. She is missing football, gymnastics and other stuff and is climbing the walls.

The other one is a lazy bastard and is in heaven 😄😄😄

Agreed. Every child is different. Which is why they need to open the schools and let the parents decide what is best on a child by child basis.

Watched BBC news and they visited a primary school.

Library:all books taped off

Classroom: separate desk and chair. No soft play. No books.

Bogs: one at a time only.

They didn't say about lunch!

Give every kid a computer and desk and chair. And a printer. They'd have more chance to learn

How parents go back to work if the school doesn't open.. ? 

2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Give every kid a computer and desk and chair. And a printer. They'd have more chance to learn

Printers are a touchy subject here. I've got through a ream of paper and a black ink cartridge this week.

27 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

My eldest is year 10, GCSEs are only 6 terms, 5 if you take out the final term. They've pretty much missed a term so he's missed out on 20% of his GCSEs. 

But surely he has been getting great online tutoring from his teachers for 8 hours every day?

10 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Laser. Mono. 

No fucking inkjets.

They're shit.

Agree. I went into PC World for something or other at Christmas in 2001. Spotted a mono laser for £200. A real bargain in those days. It must have been my best buy ever in computer related bits and I've bought a lot over the years. It was for home to replace an ink jet. The problem with the ink jet was that as it was not used that often I was replacing hardly used cartridges because they dried up. Now I've had the laser for 19 years I've just put in the second replacement cartridge.

I think the point is that every kid is getting hit upon hit.

My youngest has had his driving test delayed until July 3rd. But has heard today from his instructor that they can't do any lessons until July 5th. Small things to us but another nail in the brain to them.

My eldest should have been playing in the National championships in Arizona today. His qualifying score of 11 under should have been good enough to secure him the starting position. That kind of thing doesn't happen very often. Instead he had to settle for a round with his old man who hacked his way around the local course.

Who knows what the long term effects of this will be?

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, eight said:

Printers are a touchy subject here. I've got through a ream of paper and a black ink cartridge this week.

We've had a bit of a barney about ink today, I've already replaced 2 XL black cartridges, supposed to be good for 500-600 pages. Who's paying for that?

34 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

But surely he has been getting great online tutoring from his teachers for 8 hours every day?

It's mixed...

Secondary hasn't been too bad. primary has been atrocious, the work has pretty much all been worksheets downloaded from standard websites like 'Twinkl' Only we've had to make the account and download the work. The primary teacher is on his fucking holidays. 

Schools need to re-open yesterday, in full and back to normal.

But some parents are just as bad, I've heard loads saying they're worried about their kids going back, like all of a sudden no kid ever picked up an illness at school. Why don't they want the schools to re-open? My guess is not because they're worried about the kids, it's because they're worried about having to get off their fat backsides and go back to work. Meanwhile I'm doing (and many of my colleagues the same) my usual 50 hours from the comfort of my spare room, dying for everything to start up again so I can go back to work properly.

Edited by Roger_Mellie
9 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

But some parents are just as bad, I've heard loads saying they're worried about their kids going back, like all of a sudden no kid ever picked up an illness at school.

I think too many people are worried. Parents, teachers, and children. The TV, and news press are relentless worry merchants

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I think too many people are worried. Parents, teachers, and children. The TV, and news press are relentless worry merchants

And they won't be satisfied until Track and Trace is in place, and those who shun it (for obvious reasons) are shunned.

It was the adult kids who have got the OAPs isolated, now the schools semi-permanently shut, the epitome of Useful Idiots. A crisis out of a drama.

The agenda-driven media has been shocking, pushing Track and Trace (1984) for weeks.

Edited by Alonso Quijano
8 minutes ago, Alonso Quijano said:

And they won't be satisfied until Track and Trace is in place, and those who shun it (for obvious reasons) are shunned.

It was the adult kids who have got the OAPs isolated, now the schools semi-permanently shut, the epitome of Useful Idiots. A crisis out of a drama.

The agenda-driven media has been shocking, pushing Track and Trace (1984) for weeks.

No -- the media will just invent a new thing to worry about.

This whole episode has just been a succession of things we've been told to worry about.  As soon as the latest thing appears to be irrelevant it is forgotten and the new worry brought out.

19 minutes ago, dgul said:

No -- the media will just invent a new thing to worry about.

This whole episode has just been a succession of things we've been told to worry about.  As soon as the latest thing appears to be irrelevant it is forgotten and the new worry brought out.

Yesterday was a glorious day here. The sort of day on which it should be pretty much impossible to worry about anything.

Except global warming and skin cancer, obviously.

Our media needs to be dismantled. Five minute bulletin at six, maybe. No more.