• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
This Time

Tolkien or antidepressants

Bloody Tolkien. At primary school we had rather a nice idea that just before hometime we sat in a circle and the teacher read us a story. We had "The Hobbit" and I liked it so went to library for Lord of the Rings. Just so happened that I was off sick for a week and a bit so read it. Very disappointing. Can't believe 50 years later it's still popular. And it's one of the taboo "not to like" things as well. In the same class as Michael Jackson.

I thought it would be easy from the word construction but they are so similar.

Re LoR there are sections within it that I really like that when I first read it I was skipping.  They are the descriptions of the long journeys through varying terrains.

No magic, no sword fighting, just long hard slog through marsh and down and grassy plain and woodland.

All the chivalry and magic all seems either awkward or silly.

Best summed up by that scene in the film when Frodo finally wakes after destroying the ring and all these serious characters are bounding around and laughing at nothing like they have been inhaling nitrous oxide for the previous two days.

I've never read the book. Not had the inclination. I think I have watched the film trilogy 2 or maybe 3 times. Other than that I find it tedious. The films are good though in the way that you can jump into any of them at any point as basically the same thing happens again and again.

It really is a book for a bunch of nerds in costumes. They really need to grow up and get into something with more complexity and depth. Something like Star Trek or Stargate. xD

6 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Should have got higher. Read all the books and old man was a Pharmacist. 

if written today Tolkien would have had to have included a lot more tits and fanny ala GOT style. 

17/24. Never read the books. Just went on gut feeling.

16 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Should have got higher. Read all the books and old man was a Pharmacist. 

if written today Tolkien would have had to have included a lot more tits and fanny ala GOT style. 

I am still trying to figure out how 'fanny' - used in English - for lady bits manifested itself into becoming American English for a bottom.

Fanny Hill had been published in England for decades before the Colonies went off on their little independence experiment. No doubt one or two copies crossed the Atlantic in that time in the back-packs of soldiers and the boudoir chests of certain ladies. The English in the colonies would have known of a fanny as a, um, fanny. Not a bottom. Let's face it, the word would have been in English usage long before them.

Today Google tells me that fanny originated - chortle - in the 19th Century. I must be wrong, John Cleland clearly never existed and Google must be right.

I suspect, shortly after declaring independence, the leaders of the new United States sat down and decided to give different meanings to words, to remove the letter u from various words and decided that tomatoes, potatoes and lever, amongst others, would hence be pronounced differently. Oh, and ride on the wrong side of the road.

Anyhow, enough of this, I am off to look up some more fanny.

20/24 and still annoyed. Two of those I talked myself out of. Narvi and one of the Kings of Gondor........

Tolkien was the author who cracked literature open for me. For that alone I'm eternally grateful. I've read most of the books multiple times and one of my fondest possessions is a special edition of LOTR my parents bought me for my 21st birthday. My Dad inscribed it with the following from the book.

"May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out"

Which is about right. There's comfort to be had in another world which is still familiar through repeated reading. In some tough times I've escaped into the world of Middle-Earth and it still has it's wonders. 

The highest compliment I can pay the films is that they didn't fuck it up. If it were made even now I suspect Gimli would be trans and Aragorn would be played by a black woman or something.

Edited by Mental Floss

5 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Why did I take the quiz? 

Side-affect of the medication. You really should read the leaflets that come in the box. 'Has been known to cause uncontrolled desires to take part in Tolkien conventions and to dress up as an elf or hobbit'.

4 minutes ago, Mental Floss said:

20/24 and still annoyed. Two of those I talked myself out of. Narvi and one of the Kings of Gondor........

Tolkien was the author who cracked literature open for me. For that alone I'm eternally grateful. I've read most of the books multiple times and one of my fondest possessions is a special edition of LOTR my parents bought me for my 21st birthday. My Dad inscribed it with the following from the book.

"May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out"

Which is about right. There's comfort to be had in another world which is still familiar through repeated reading. In some tough times I've escaped into the world of Middle-Earth and it still has it's wonders. 

The highest compliment I can pay the films is that they didn't fuck it up. If it were made even now I suspect Gimli would be trans and Aragorn would be played by a black woman or something.

The films were not only a sign that the time for men had now arrived, but they were also a sign that the time for men - certain men - had ended.