• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
This Time

Tolkien or antidepressants

7 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

The same could be said of Edgar Rice Burroughs - but they did make his stuff into films...

Moorcock was very imaginative. His ideas were before his time, and all the good citizens of Granbretan wearing masks.

Many borrowed his ideas.

Edited by MrPin

10 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I've not tried it myself but per the people at college that did read it, and the other earlier times books, they were an absolute slog.

So either you are jesting or you are Tolkien's biggest fan.

I loved the LOTR - books and films but even the Silmarilion was a book too far for me. Hawking's "A brief history of time" was more coherent. 

I read the hobbit at school and liked it but haven’t read any other Tolkien.

When the film LOTR was released I watched it. It was ok but the Aragon character ensured I watched to the end.

Another time I was at a relative’s home for Xmas staying over for two nights. They put the lord of the rings films on over one of the days...three?...four?......interspersed with chat, food, trivial pursuits etc. Thankfully Aragon cheered me up!

image.thumb.jpeg.261b65dd8a93ee5b9ba2b7f1c5af64bc.jpeg

10 minutes ago, MrPin said:

That's OK for Miggin Bortenson, but what happened to Sean Bean. One fucking film, and he is a YORKSHIREMAN.

Nothing wrong with Sean bean. I’ve watched stuff he’s been in. I liked Broken, a tv drama aired a few years ago.

image.jpeg.6345c86cb49cab161099fef1a3b9f032.jpeg

51 minutes ago, MrPin said:

That's OK for Miggin Bortenson, but what happened to Sean Bean. One fucking film, and he is a YORKSHIREMAN.

He went off to be beheaded in GOT.

7 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I can’t work out how to say his name. We should have a poll: “Seen Been” or “Shawn Bawn”.

As far as I could tell from 1990s women, it is pronounced "phwoar"....

Now he's not an ugly bloke, you can see some might like him, but hardly film star looks, so the devotion he inspired at the time was a bit of a mystery to me. Kind of "some bloke you might meet in a pub or play sport against but instead happens to be on the telly" for me. I daresay our ladies will explain...

14 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I can’t work out how to say his name. We should have a poll: “Seen Been” or “Shawn Bawn”.

I’d pronounce it Shawn Bean. I would have wanted him in his portrayal as a priest in Broken. He was a good priest though and resisted the temptress .....so she threw herself off a high building and died. No wonder he looks strained in the photo above from the series. In real life I wouldn’t go there....too messed in the mind.

10 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

As far as I could tell from 1990s women, it is pronounced "phwoar"....

Now he's not an ugly bloke, you can see some might like him, but hardly film star looks, so the devotion he inspired at the time was a bit of a mystery to me. Kind of "some bloke you might meet in a pub or play sport against but instead happens to be on the telly" for me. I daresay our ladies will explain...

He was quite a looker in his day.

Still good looking here. Very funny as well.

4 hours ago, MrPin said:

He's unlucky is Sean. Dies before the end of the first series of GoT too.

I always imagine some conversation like 'thuh must be sum mistek 'ere, it sez ah dee afore t'end o't fust seeriz. Tha carnt kill me, am Sean bloody Bean, t'star o't shoow'

But wrt Viggo... my wife claims she is the only man she'd leave me for. And he is in my favourite fight scene of all time, bollock naked. Eastern Promises is a good film if you haven't seen it. The only time I've been in the picture and there has been an audible groan and uncomfortable shuffling in seats when one of the characters (an old Russian guy) says 'the races aren't meant to mix, that's why your baby died inside you'.

Anyhoo, for those who don't know what I'm on about, here's Viggo in all his glory (I'd also reccomend 'A History of Violence'

Edit: Unlucky. seems it's deemed inappropriate

41 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Sean Bean was Sharpe and for that he gets all the cool points going.

Sharpe was James Bond without the gadgets.

It is the Regency gear that helps.

Britain ruled the world at the time because it had the coolest clothes. You can measure the UKs decline from when people started dressing like a sack of shit.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Sean Bean was Sharpe and for that he gets all the cool points going.

Sharpe was James Bond without the gadgets.

I have the physical "box set". It is unusual, in that it IS one that is worth watching to the end.