• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Bear Hug

Booking a hotel during lockdown

I am considering visiting Scafell Pike on weekend. It's a long drive (6 hours?) so it would be better to stay somewhere overnight.  However, all places on hotels.com are saying that I may be asked for proof of essential travel. 

Has anyone had any luck booking a hotel recently? I could call directly and ask. Or, any advice on camping in the wild?

Worst case scenario, I'd drive there in the evening and sleep in a car for a bit. 

I also cannot find any information on the current state of the car parks there. Open or closed etc. 

Posted (edited)

Nights are usually still cold in this country until July, it's only then they generally stay in double figures. So camping might need to wait, plus I think wild camping is not permitted... (although no one will know if you find the right spot). 

Hotels have generally been housing nurses, doctors and the homeless.. Good luck with that diseased lot! 

Edited by Stuey

I've got a hotel that previously stayed in every week for a couple of nights near work. They haven't asked to see any proof that I'm an essential worker, but that's likely because they know me.

Saying that, I doubt very much a hotel would ask for proof, they'll be biting your arm off for the business.

I've been asked to visit a customer in Scotland.  When I looked on the IHG website some hotels were stating that they needed ID and proof of key worker status, while others were not.

Have they got around the above restrictions or are they simply ignoring them?

1 hour ago, Thombleached said:

I've got a hotel that previously stayed in every week for a couple of nights near work. They haven't asked to see any proof that I'm an essential worker, but that's likely because they know me.

Saying that, I doubt very much a hotel would ask for proof, they'll be biting your arm off for the business.

I would have thought so.

4 hours ago, Thombleached said:

I may give a few calls. I can see how a small B&B wauld need some business now but may be put off by worry of neighbours complaining or reporting them. Particularly in some smaller Lake District villages. 

I wonder if booking with a Dr in a title could prevent some questions being asked. 

4 hours ago, eight said:

I'd like to tell you what's happening at the hotel where I work but since I haven't been near the place in months then I've no idea really. Could have burned down for all I would know.

No remaining staff doing co-ordinated dance routine videos or was that just in the hospitals?

1 hour ago, Ash4781b said:

No remaining staff doing co-ordinated dance routine videos or was that just in the hospitals?

If it's the ones I think it is still toiling away there then they couldn't do anything in a coordinated fashion.

The hotel in Devon I was working at last year closed for the winter and was due to reopen before easter. It never reopened - chatting to them today they have no opening date set, but when it happens they will only be opening family rooms not the popular shared dorms.

Posted (edited)
On 22/05/2020 at 01:31, Bear Hug said:

I am considering visiting Scafell Pike on weekend. It's a long drive (6 hours?) so it would be better to stay somewhere overnight.  However, all places on hotels.com are saying that I may be asked for proof of essential travel. 

Has anyone had any luck booking a hotel recently? I could call directly and ask. Or, any advice on camping in the wild?

Worst case scenario, I'd drive there in the evening and sleep in a car for a bit. 

I also cannot find any information on the current state of the car parks there. Open or closed etc. 

a dishonest person would write themselves an email "from their boss" about how they are a key worker and need to collect vital documents from a stricken employee, and print it off, it's not like hotel staff will be checking for forgeries.

Edited by snaga

3 hours ago, snaga said:

a dishonest person would write themselves an email "from their boss" about how they are a key worker and need to collect vital documents from a stricken employee, and print it off, it's not like hotel staff will be checking for forgeries.

There are other ways of having permission to travel the country.
We're allowed to tend our bees. Could register an apiary anywhere in the UK. :)

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

There are other ways of having permission to travel the country.
We're allowed to tend our bees. Could register an apiary anywhere in the UK. :)

Yeah, but I'll bet any money that the admin charge is fucking extortionate.

So you'll probably get stung...

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

3 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Yeah, but I'll bet any money that the admin charge is fucking extortionate.

So you'll probably get stung...

XYY

Not badly stung at all. Free. :)
The bee inspectors would probably guess you don't keep bees in the Lake district if you put one on the map there and lived where I live, but people often have other apiaries dotted about.  But you could then show anyone who stopped you the details on the Gov website that meant you were allowed to travel :)

4 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Not badly stung at all. Free. :)
The bee inspectors would probably guess you don't keep bees in the Lake district if you put one on the map there and lived where I live, but people often have other apiaries dotted about.  But you could then show anyone who stopped you the details on the Gov website that meant you were allowed to travel :)

I guess with bees you can't go straight from (ahem!) A to Bee though - and have to travel in a figure of 8...?

XYY

PS: I am just joshing with you honey - as I get quite a buzz out of it....

Thanks for all responses.  Weather for tomorrow is not looking great, so I am calling it off for this week anyway.  The plan is roughly to drive in the evening, sleep in a car, walk in the morning and come back the same day.  

But temperatures forecast is a bit too close to zero for my liking and Sunday will not be particularly sunny either.

1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

I guess with bees you can't go straight from (ahem!) A to Bee though - and have to travel in a figure of 8...?

XYY

PS: I am just joshing with you honey - as I get quite a buzz out of it....

You're just droning on! 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

And you're bringing me out in hives...

XYY

Buzz off with your stupid jokes.

Edited by Option5