DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

TV aerial interference

Posted (edited)

Question for the DOSBODS massive... there are all kinds of knowledgable experts here so maybe someone can give me a definitive answer.

WvR's neighbour is claiming our TV aerial is causing interference to their own TV and radio signals, and is demanding we move it.  Her son has been quite aggressive, and is threatening to go up and remove it himself if we don't. 

Notwithstanding the fact this would be criminal damage ( and yes, the police have been informed of his threats ),  for my own peace of mind, I'd like to know if it is actually possible that our aerial could be causing interference to their TV/radio reception.  

Here's a picture.. ours is the one on the left.  To my mind, since ours is a few feet away, not connected to the same pole, and appears to be downstream/not on the signal path between the TV transmitter and her aerial, ours cannot be causing her interference,  but I want to be sure before replying to them.

Does anyone here know enough about TV aerials and radio signals to give a definitive answer?

1775804149_tvaerials.thumb.jpg.ee632fd462533a539bdc25db01291b20.jpg

Edited by MvR
8 minutes ago, snaga said:

those aerials are not aligned the same, so someone's is off, and it's probably your neighbours if they have a weak signal.

edit: I'd keep quiet about it, they don't want your help.

Yes that's the way it seems to me as well. Theirs is not a very good one to begin with and if it's moved a bit then will not be getting much from the transmitter.  As NewryH said though, really need to know the backstory. Their telly has gone funny - why exactly do they translate that into it being somehow connected with you? Maybe it's not even anything to do with aerials.

If it were me though I would try to be friendly and "look helpful" although without meekly removing your own aerial. You hear these awful stories about trivial conflicts between neighbours escalating into ten-year court battles.

8 minutes ago, NewryH said:

Is yours or his newly installed? What was it like beforehand - I.e.when did theirs start to 'go wrong'?

Ours was installed 12 years ago, after a storm blew the old one off.  Hers, I assume, has been around quite a while too.

She's only started complaining in the last couple of years, possibly since her son went up to do some work on her wall. I think that's the first time they noticed it.

To add context, she's also accused us of spying on her with the aerial(!), following her etc.  She's an old woman, clearly mentally disturbed, and her son seems to have got riled up trying to "stick up for her".  He seemed surprised when I answered the door to him, rather than the single woman he was expecting to be able to bully. 

15 minutes ago, MvR said:

Question for the DOSBODS massive... there are all kinds of knowledgable experts here so maybe someone can give me a definitive answer.

WvR's neighbor is claiming our TV aerial is causing interference to their own TV and radio signals, and is demanding we move it.  Her son has been quite aggressive, and is threatening to go up and remove it himself if we don't. 

1775804149_tvaerials.thumb.jpg.ee632fd462533a539bdc25db01291b20.jpg

Arials closer than 1 wavelength apart will in theory affect each which for TV UHF is a 2 or 3 feet I think. Anyway looks like your Arial overhangs their plot which would make it illegal, if I were your neighbour I'd be having none of that you can be sure.

Yes, aerials can interfere with each other. I think an absolute minimum of 3 feet is often stated. Some people say 2 feet. But have a look on houses across the UK and you will see all sorts of aerials really close to another on terraced roads.

I doubt that interference is the issue - unless yours is powered and, in the dark of night, you are contacting your handlers in Moscow or Beijing.

The two aerials are not pointing in the same direction. I wonder if his has line of sight to the transmitter - it looks like the easy and cheaper option was to stick it on the chimney rather than, like you, having a pole. Everyone should have a pole... as I keep telling women in the crusty roll section of Sainsbury's.

You can't see what else is going on up there with his aerial. Has he got a loose connection. Is there moisture getting into the cable and causing the problem. All good questions to ask him?

Does he have a modernish TV? If so, ask him what db signal his TV or set-top box is saying that he is getting?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

Arials closer than 1 wavelength apart will in theory affect each which for TV UHF is a 2 or 3 feet I think. 

I think that’s correct. The proximity will detune both antennas: by making them the wrong effective dimensions.

Edited by Transistor Man
Just now, goldbug9999 said:

Arials closer than 1 wavelength apart will in theory affect each which for TV UHF is a 2 or 3 feet I think. Anyway looks like your Arial overhangs their plot which would make it illegal, if I were your neighbour I'd be having none of that you can be sure.

Well spotted,  however there is a 6 year period to raise an objection in civil court ( tort law, statute of limitations etc ), so that period is long gone. It's actually over 12 years, so in theory we could claim possession of that bit of airspace, but we're really not after a fight.

He also thinks it was installed recently, and that someone must have set up a ladder on her property to install it, but this is not the case. Some mad-lad crawled out of our dormer window and across the roof to install it.

Basically we're not willing to be bullied by some jumped-up little thug into spending a couple of hundred quid to pander to his delusional mother's latest paranoid fantasy.  If he wants to go the legal route and try to get court order, he's welcome to, hence my looking into whether his claim about interference could have any merit.

You need him to be more specific - what exactly does he mean by interference?

Just reading your post again I note that he mentions radio signals? How is he listening to the radio? On a proper radio or via his TV or a set-top box? It is going to be damn hard to get anyone to take seriously the idea that a lump of metal on a roof is interfering with a proper radio set.

You aerial is a receiver and not a transmitter.

Much more likely, as I referred to in my above post, is that you are low down for TV & radio reception - hence why whoever stuck your aerial up put it on a pole. Did I ever tell you about the importance of poles?

10 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

Anyway looks like your Arial overhangs their plot which would make it illegal, if I were your neighbour I'd be having none of that you can be sure.

Is this perhaps the real cause of complaint by them - they recently noticed this and now are using interference as an excuse to get you to move it?

5 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Much more likely, as I referred to in my above post, is that you are low down for TV & radio reception - hence why whoever stuck your aerial up put it on a pole. Did I ever tell you about the importance of poles?

So that's where the 6M are hiding

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

You need him to be more specific - what exactly does he mean by interference?

Just reading your post again I note that he mentions radio signals? How is he listening to the radio? On a proper radio or via his TV or a set-top box? It is going to be damn hard to get anyone to take seriously the idea that a lump of metal on a roof is interfering with a proper radio set.

You aerial is a receiver and not a transmitter.

I haven't had the chance to get these sorts of details yet.  He seemed more interested in making threats than engaging in a civil conversation, but if I get he chance, I'll ask him. 

I think she's using old analog equipment though I can't be sure. Personally I think the problem is either a mis-aligned aerial or faulty cabling / equipment at her end, or simply the reduction of signal strength and coverage since they've been phasing out the old signals to make way for new digital services.

We'd far rather avoid any conflict. We happily donate a small DAB radio  for her to use which should solve the problem, but since she's already convinced we're spying on her via our TV aerial, it's unlikely she would accept a mysterious device from us.. she'd only accuse us of bugging her with that too.

Edited by MvR
9 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Is this perhaps the real cause of complaint by them - they recently noticed this and now are using interference as an excuse to get you to move it?

This is what we suspect.

I also happen to know that his father / her husband was very violent and regularly beat her up. Although he's in his 50s now, it's likely he was damaged by this, and his anger is probably partly a trauma response as he tries to defend his mother now, in a way he couldn't when he was a child.  He went from simply aggressive, to shaking with adrenalin when I stood up to him on the doorstep.

It's not a pretty situation, and I'd much rather resolve it amicably, but I need to be prepared just in case he does try to take the law into his own hands.

1 minute ago, MvR said:

This is what we suspect.

I also happen to know that his father / her husband was very violent and regularly beat her up. Although he's in his 50s now, it's likely he was damaged by this, and his anger is probably partly a trauma response as he tries to defend his mother now, in a way he couldn't when he was a child.  He went from simply aggressive, to shaking with adrenalin when I stood up to him on the doorstep.

It's not a pretty situation, and I'd much rather resolve it amicably, but I need to be prepared just in case he does try to take the law into his own hands.

Mum is in her 70's? 80's? You might have hit the nail on the head, especially if Mum is elderly or even coming to the end of her days.

Mediation is clearly the way forward. Is there a third party locally - someone from the local authority or a councillor - who could help the two of you come to an agreement? 'Interference' is so general that until you get some specifics you may as well be p*ssing in the wind.