• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
shindigger

Odd LCD TV Behaviour

I have a Sony Bravia W range LCD TV.

Ive been watching a fair bit of current test match and noticed that as the camera pans away from an expanse of green grass, i have a dark patch/shadow effect top left, which lingers and then clears when the camera is switched back.

Its like i have a zone of stuck pixels or something.

Patch is not there when used with other content. Have put a grey screen test image on it and its 100% fine.

Any ideas?

On 31/07/2017 at 12:45, shindigger said:

I have a Sony Bravia W range LCD TV.

Ive been watching a fair bit of current test match and noticed that as the camera pans away from an expanse of green grass, i have a dark patch/shadow effect top left, which lingers and then clears when the camera is switched back.

Its like i have a zone of stuck pixels or something.

Patch is not there when used with other content. Have put a grey screen test image on it and its 100% fine.

Any ideas?

Sounds like the backlights are starting to go. With my TV I noticed some dark patches appearing on my TV and eventually the whoke thing went dark.

The lights behind the screen are rigged like christmas lights, if one goes then the whole lot fails. If it is the backlight then your telly is about to go on the blink I'm afraid.

Good news is it's repairable. If you're still under warranty then I'd head there now before it's not covered  if not then don't take it to a repair shop as they'll charge you a fortune, more than the TVs worth usually. Hit ebay and get yourself a set of lights (making sure they are compatible) and DIY. It's a fiddly arse of a job but definitely do-able. Youtube is your friend here.

That's what I did anyway. TV works fine now :)

Cheers for replying both. 

I have the Sky Q plumbed via a NEET HDMI splitter to the living room tv,  and to my office/cave on 2nd floor. Have noticed living room tv produce the same, short lived, dark patch (cheap 4k Toshiba).

This is either something to do with the broadcast, specifically it would seem Sky cricket, or the splitter. Ive not seen either telly do it on non cricket based feeds.

Will wait to see what it does when the footer starts. My box seems to be struggling with green.....

Either way im reassured that neither tv is on the fritz.