• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

State Pension underpayment - retired married women

I'm posting this in OT for maximum visibility.  I think my mother is affected by this and am pursuing a claim on her behalf; with 130k affected there is likely to be somebody else's mother also due a pay out.

The basic numbers are simple and quoted below.

Underpayments tend to be in the £5k - £10k range.

To claim for underpaymnet you need to write to or phone your "local" pension office.  The one local to Cornwall is apparently in Wolverhampton.

Investigation reveals that 130,000 older married women could be owed up to £100million in state pensions after government blunders were exposed

But former pensions minister Sir Steve Webb said figures suggested that around 130,000 married women – whose husbands were collecting the full basic state pension of £134.25 a week – were getting pensions lower than the £80.45 a week they should receive. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8349655/Some-130-000-older-married-women-owed-100million.html

Just now, GBDamo said:

Is she single?

Eh?  This only affects married women.  It's a recognition of their raising a family so having lower NI.

I aksed my parents to check their weekly state pension and I think my mother has been underpaid since retirement at 60 so is owed a decent wedge.

I suspect the government was hoping that this error would quietly "go away"; as it probably will if you don't make a claim.

11 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Eh?  This only affects married women.  It's a recognition of their raising a family so having lower NI.

I aksed my parents to check their weekly state pension and I think my mother has been underpaid since retirement at 60 so is owed a decent wedge.

I suspect the government was hoping that this error would quietly "go away"; as it probably will if you don't make a claim.

Ignore that dumb cunt Frank - he's a fucking wanker...

XYY

12 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

My mum pegged it in 2016 but would fall into  this category. 

Could I claim on her behalf as an executor of her estate? I know she would want me to. 

47 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Could I claim on her behalf as an executor of her estate? I know she would want me to. 

The only official guidance when I went through tthe DWP website was to direct me to the local pension office nothing about this particular circumstance so they're still ot helping.

I would hope so as she wasn't he one who made the mistake.

It looks to be in the order of £10 per week / £500 per pensioned year.

Good luck.

10 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I had to make a claim for something similar for my father. I failed, as there was a six month time limit to nominate you self as the claimant.

That was a while ago though. Things may have changed since then.

2 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

I had to make a claim for something similar for my father. I failed, as there was a six month time limit to nominate you self as the claimant.

That was a while ago though. Things may have changed since then.

As this announcement has only recently been made I am cautiously hopeful that no time limitation currently applies.