• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
BigV

Bands who have produced better albums than the one they are famous for!

3 hours ago, BigV said:

I suspect the list is endless.

Here's a few to start off...

Happy Mondays - bummed

Nirvana - in utero

Radiohead - the bends

Bummed was a good album. And an important one for the Mondays, But I think Squirrel and G Man is their best one. Just had that ramshackle Madchester drive to it...

Edited by Tabasco Kid

4 hours ago, BigV said:

Happy Mondays - bummed

Nirvana - in utero

Radiohead - the bends

Possibly a different slant on this is charty type bands that then went on to have a long tail of "serious" albums. A-ha, for one. See also INXS.

10 hours ago, ThePiltdownMan said:

Metallica - every one that came before the black disaster

Nothing at all wrong with the Black album that's just something metal snobs (Slayer fans) say.

However Ride to Justice are better I'll give you that.

(I'm going to get shot by the music snobs for this)

Shakira - best known for Laundry Service and subsequent albums. But IMO her previous album (Dónde Están los Ladrones?) is rock-chick heaven.

Um, I think this betrays people as being fans of these particular bands so you play their albums to death and it's the more layered complicated ones that you come to love whilst tiring of the simpler, more immediate stuff.

For people who aren't particular fans it's those immediate albums that  are the best.

So Springsteen's Born in the USA, Nirvana's Nevermind, and Metallica's Black Album are theri best albums.

I was a big fan of Marillion, thought Script for a Jester's Tear was excellent, Fugazi very good, and Misplaced Childhood a bit meh.

However Misplaced Childhood was the one that was a big success.  When I listened to it recently it was actually very good and deservedly the big success that it was.  My disappointment at the time was that it represented a change from the type of music for which I was a fan of the band to something more keyboard heavy and melodic.

Electric Six

The pop fluff tracks that got famous aren't trying to be anything more than that, but their extensive album releases are hugely varied and superb.

Seen them in Brighton twice, great voice even live.

Talking Turkey is laugh out loud funny, and in keeping with this site ;)

Edited by chronyx

The first two Prodigy albums are fantastic, much better than the disjointed shite they've done from Fat Of The Land onwards. Pulp's His 'N Hers is better than Different Class (though it's not exactly unknown, it did nearly win the Mercury Music Prize).

On 03/31/2017 at 16:10, BigV said:

Happy Mondays - bummed

Nirvana - in utero

Radiohead - the bends

Good choices. 

I'd echo in utero.  Bleach is routinely ignored. I love it's grittiness

Pulp. While I'm not au fait with their 1980s output, I prefer their 1994 album 'His and Hers' to their best known album 1995's 'Different Class'. I also prefer their 1998 album 'This Is Hardcore' to it, with their excellent tracks like 'Dishes' and 'Seductive Barry' (neneh Cherry on backing vocals - a delight!).

Blur. Their biggest album was 'Parklife' (1994) but I prefer their earlier album 'Modern Life is Rubbish'. The opening track 'For Tomorrow' is my sublime.

Food Processors are great!

King Crimson. Their debut album 'In the Court of the Crimson King' (1969) is regarded as their best but I prefer 'Lizard' (1970), 'Lark's Tongues In Aspic' (1973) and 'Starless & Bible Black (1974).

On 2017-4-20 at 00:58, Rave said:

The first two Prodigy albums are fantastic, much better than the disjointed shite they've done from Fat Of The Land onwards. Pulp's His 'N Hers is better than Different Class (though it's not exactly unknown, it did nearly win the Mercury Music Prize).

Yep, music for the jilted generation was great. So much better than fat of the land, imo. I remember seeing them when the latter had just come out and was bitterly disappointed.