DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've saved a fortune during lockdown, cost of living has reduced significantly, and most of those savings are linked to commuting to work and unnecessary consumption. Big realisation is that I do

Keep the updates up Sasquatch as very interesting. You have a good bellwether there for SME business.  In terms of my own business. Just in past week, another one of our suppliers (Solvents with

The zombie economy will linger on and go back to the crippling stasis we were in before Covid-19. Just throwing £billions at it won't solve the problem, they don't see it as a problem though. The

2 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

Yes.

We can restart as if nothing has happened. And then about 3 seconds later we will realise that something has happened, that this something is rather significant, and that the economy is rubber ducked. Which brings us neatly back to:

So the high street reopens - what exactly do you need to go and buy there?

The only thing my family currently need is stuff for their hobbies as they have run out of fabric (and in the case of Mrs Eek, vaguely plausible reasons for making yet another quilt).

6 minutes ago, eek said:

So the high street reopens - what exactly do you need to go and buy there?

The only thing my family currently need is stuff for their hobbies as they have run out of fabric (and in the case of Mrs Eek, vaguely plausible reasons for making yet another quilt).

But presumably, that's no different to how your family were before the virus? 

20 minutes ago, One percent said:

On the plus side, they might decide to rebuild the economy in a different way. Bringing manufacturing back. Somehow i think their greed will get the better of them though. 

Never going to happen. The UK is run by vast numbers of middle managers with no skills other than flipping through powerpoint presentations and filling in Prince 2. Hence why we are constantly told that "We don't have the skills!".

The absolute last thing these people will want is to rebuild the UK economy re manufacturing or tech or anything - it won't even be a consideration for 99.9% of them. They might have to learn something. Anyhow, most of these people were key to destroying much of the UK tech and manufacturing sectors.

That's my Monday morning rant.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

TUI is up 30% this morning. No doubt, short covering, but it looks like the markets have turned and we will see pubs, shops and airlines bought up now.

Easyjet up too as you expected.

Still a good bit down on its within lockdown high and also only now.about 40% of its pre covid level. 

4 minutes ago, ccc said:

Easyjet up too as you expected.

Still a good bit down on its within lockdown high and also only now.about 40% of its pre covid level. 

The US markets are at a key turning point - they either break through resistance and shoot up or they head back down. Usually they have an affect on the FTSE. Might not be so dramatic this time as people look to buy value.

I suspect I will be buying some airlines and both greggs and spoons for my pension this week. Seems back in lock-down March that everyone was on ASOS and BOOHOO buying bikinis for their hols.

45 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

But presumably, that's no different to how your family were before the virus? 

Nope, there used to be an awful lot of fabric, so much so Mrs Eek felt she had enough for years.

It's all be used up as she has zero commute time and we can't go out the rest of the time. 

I'm glad I'm not running a shop on the high street. Footfall reduced, folk coming in potentially giving you the virus, little hitlers from the council doing checks that will result in more expenditure, rates will be going up because cash strapped councils gave £10k grants to second home owners and have been buying shopping centres etc., the threat of prison.

The government said businesses would only be able to open from these dates once they had completed a risk assessment, in consultation with trade union representatives or workers, and were confident they were managing the risks. To ensure safety, local authorities will continue to carry out spot checks and follow up on concerns by members of the public.

Ministers will ask shops to take measures such as storing returned items for 72 hours before putting them back on the shop floor, placing protective coverings on large items touched by the public such as beds or sofas, and frequent cleaning of objects and surfaces that are touched regularly, including self-checkouts, trolleys, coffee machines and betting terminals.

Powers are in place to enforce action if the public and employees are not protected, including fines and jail sentences of up to two years.

https://www.hl.co.uk/news/2020/5/26/outdoor-markets-and-car-showrooms-can-open-next-week-in-england?

2 minutes ago, snaga said:

I've saved a fortune during lockdown, cost of living has reduced significantly, and most of those savings are linked to commuting to work and unnecessary consumption.

Big realisation is that I don't need as much money to retire as I thought I did, or if I can get a job without the need to commute I can take a lower paid, less stressful job and not sacrifice my QoL, in fact it would improve.

Now scale that up, and millions now thinking the same? has the work & consume spell been broken? can it ever be restored?

Well, this is the thing.

It's shown me that I don't need as much money to live as I thought I did in terms of what actually makes me happy.

But I don't think most people think that much. I think most people's lives are built around endless consumption and it's the inability to consume quite so much that they'll be missing most of all at the moment.

12 minutes ago, snaga said:

I've saved a fortune during lockdown, cost of living has reduced significantly, and most of those savings are linked to commuting to work and unnecessary consumption.

Big realisation is that I don't need as much money to retire as I thought I did, or if I can get a job without the need to commute I can take a lower paid, less stressful job and not sacrifice my QoL, in fact it would improve.

Now scale that up, and millions now thinking the same? has the work & consume spell been broken? can it ever be restored?

If you hear a knock at the door, it will be someone to take you to the re-education centre. You are supposed to be thinking of working just as long but leveraging up the money you are saving on a first or bigger house.

16 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Well, this is the thing.

It's shown me that I don't need as much money to live as I thought I did in terms of what actually makes me happy.

But I don't think most people think that much. I think most people's lives are built around endless consumption and it's the inability to consume quite so much that they'll be missing most of all at the moment.

Indeed.

Fully agree with you here. My little sister will be gagging for a shopping trip up "to see me" as soon as the trains are running (please never)