• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Sugarlips

Famous musicians tutorials

For those a little older, Andy Scott of The Sweet currently does a similar thing with his Sweet "song of the month" on their official YouTube channel.

Down to earth bloke, and lots of anecdotes about the recording of their songs and how some of the sound effects were generated.

Here's an example...

XYY

3 hours ago, MrPin said:

I don't have a BASS GUITAR. I must get one. I must CONSUME.

I'd rather you just stopped your increasingly irritating use of capital letters.

You CUNT...!

XYY

4 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

For those a little older, Andy Scott of The Sweet currently does a similar thing with his Sweet "song of the month" on their official YouTube channel.

Down to earth bloke, and lots of anecdotes about the recording of their songs and how some of the sound effects were generated.

Here's an example...

XYY

Christ looks like a trannie. o.O

That's random, I literally plugged in my bass for the first time in years last night and finally got round to setting up Rocksmith 2014 on my pc to start learning some songs (Stone Roses - Adored). Had a quick look and they also do Rio, so might try that next...on second thoughts it looks a bit too mental for my level! :)

Can recommend Rocksmith as it really accelerates learning, it has adaptive AI so the better you get the more notes it throws at you to play. You can also repeat sections over and over at different speeds until you nail it.

On 26/05/2020 at 19:19, MrPin said:

I don't have a BASS GUITAR. I must get one.  

Guy gets a bass guitar plus lessons for his 15 yo son.

Kid comes home from his first lesson: 'I learned 5 notes on the 4th string.'

2nd lesson: 'I learned 5 notes on the 3rd string.'

The evening of the 3rd lesson, the boy didn't come home until 4am. Hair a mess, eyes bloodshot and stinking of stale sweat and perfume.

Dad asked wtf happened. Boy says 'I couldn't get to the bass lesson dad, I had a gig.'

Posted (edited)
On 26/05/2020 at 14:04, Sugarlips said:

Not sure how many other artists there are out there doing these but John Taylor has started doing ‘lockdown bass tutorials’ for all the big Duran hits, pretty good I reckon:

FFS! How good does John Taylor look and come across aged 60.....full of life, loving what he’s doing and extremely interesting to watch!

Rio is one of my favourite songs and it’s fascinating to watch JT talking and demonstrating it's development. His other tutorials you posted are really good too.

Edited to add....this is the fourth time I’ve watched this clip. Really good!

Edited by Van Lady

10 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

FFS! How good does John Taylor look and come across aged 60.....full of life, loving what he’s doing and extremely interesting to watch!

Rio is one of my favourite songs and it’s fascinating to watch JT talking and demonstrating it's development. His other tutorials you posted are really good too.

Edited to add....this is the fourth time I’ve watched this clip. Really good!

Did you catch this then? JT chats to Susannah Hoffs, the female equivalent 80’s heartthrob, equally good looking and entertaining for 61:

Just now, Sugarlips said:

Did you catch this then? JT chats to Susannah Hoffs, the female equivalent 80’s heartthrob, equally good looking and entertaining for 61:

Yes. Really good. I’m going to watch again now. Cheers!

On 05/06/2020 at 21:35, Van Lady said:

FFS! How good does John Taylor look and come across aged 60.

Er, are we talking about the Duran Duran gadgie in that video who looks like he just got released from Auschwitz...?

Poor fucker could do with a few pies down his neck...

XYY

21 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Er, are we talking about the Duran Duran gadgie in that video who looks like he just got released from Auschwitz...?

Poor fucker could do with a few pies down his neck...

XYY

Yes. Looking great for age 60 in my opinion plus full of life, enjoying what he’s doing and interesting.

42D5D7E0-C493-4A07-848D-9EEB1275B720.png

3 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

@The XYY ManI like a lot of The Sweet songs. Only one band member left now I think.

Yep, Andy Scott is the last one standing - and like Steve Priest he's been a regular down the pie shop...!

I do like The Sweet a lot, but at that time in the 70s I totally loved Slade. They are all still alive but I think Dave Hill is suffering from ill health these days.

Sadly, one by one all of my heroes leave this planet of ours...

:(

XYY

Although not really into their music, I’ve found a lot of The Red Hot Chilli Peppers stuff good to play on guitar, and am getting more into then, thanks to Paul David’s.

Check our his exploration of Snow (Hey Ho) here 

He also has a look at Under the Bridge, and here’s a lesson on it by John Frusciante himself, to follow on with the John Taylor bass teach ins.

On 26/05/2020 at 14:04, Sugarlips said:

Not sure how many other artists there are out there doing these but John Taylor has started doing ‘lockdown bass tutorials’ for all the big Duran hits, pretty good I reckon:

I fear I’m becoming as obsessed with JT as you are with Kylie Minogue xD

Seriously though those JT videos on how the Duran Duran hits were developed are very interesting indeed. His enthusiasm and energy shines. Well worth watching!

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

I fear I’m becoming as obsessed with JT as you are with Kylie Minogue xD

Seriously though those JT videos on how the Duran Duran hits were developed are very interesting indeed. His enthusiasm and energy shines. Well worth watching!

I’m a lifelong Duranie, have seen them live all over the world, they always put on an amazing show. 

JT is 60 today, I assume you’ve seen all these now but will put them here for others. If you have a spare fiver you might want to buy his autobiography ‘In The Pleasure Groove’. His sobriety is particularly interesting, so many of the people he worked with are no longer with us, the temptation too great. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Taylor-In-The-Pleasure-Groove-Book-Hardback/264767829690?hash=item3da56476ba:g:SFAAAOSwHkRe60ru

On  a related note I’d also highly recommend buying Nile Rodgers book, they are close friends, Nile is also sober 20 years and very inspiring:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Le-freak-an-upside-down-story-of-family-disco-and-destiny-by-Nile-Rodgers/303327689388?epid=114398989&hash=item469fbd3aac:g:m6gAAOSwTe1dqvMJ

Should you want me to convince you why you should obsess over Kylie as well just let me know 😜

4A578036-C86D-40B2-A337-2EC9D992229E.jpeg

Edited by Sugarlips

18 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

JT is 60 today, 

Ta! These JT videos are very good indeed. He’s so full of life and doing really well explaining the development of the DD songs. I’ve watched the first one but will watch the rest tomorrow.....then probably revisit several times. I’m in luuurve xD