DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Wimps up North. Always suspected they were all blaggers...... :-)

Title is just to bait our northerners - they're very sensible actually - the biggest worry is about work!

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-ons-study-worried-covid-131329073.html

Revealed: The UK region most worried about coronavirus

People walking in Durham in the north east of England. (AFP via Getty Images)
People walking in Durham in the north east of England. (AFP via Getty Images)
2eb0aef0-644a-11ea-bfff-d5b583c56cf3

The region of Britain that is most concerned about COVID-19 has been revealed.

According to a study across England, Scotland and Wales by the Office for National Statistics (ONS), people in the North East felt most worry about how coronavirus is affecting their lives.

Its figures, published on Tuesday, showed that the coronavirus death toll is almost 10,000 more than previously reported.

The ONS found that 86.7% of people in the North East were either “somewhat worried” or “very worried” about the impact of coronavirus.

And people aged between 16 and 34 in the North East were the most worried group in the whole of the UK – with 94% saying they were concerned.

The second most worried region was Wales, where 82.4% said they were concerned.

Yorkshire and the Humber with 82% and the West Midlands with 81.5% rounded off the top four most worried regions.

London, which emerged as the least neighbourly part of Britain during the pandemic in the same study, was in sixth position on 80.8%, while Scottish people were among the least concerned on 76.4%.

The least worried region about coronavirus in Britain was the East Midlands, with 75.7%.

The ONS study surveyed 5,320 people between 3 April and 3 May.

The North East is the region most worried about coronavirus. (ONS)
The North East is the region most worried about coronavirus. (ONS)

Despite people aged 16 to 34 in North East being the most worried in Britain, people in that age group were less worried than older age groups nationwide.

The ONS said there were 248 deaths involving COVID-19 in the North East during the week ending 15 May, the lowest of any region apart from the South West.

"Levels of worry and concern are high across all countries and regions, with many of us keeping in touch with families and friends, but we also find differences in how lockdown has affected people around Great Britain,” said James P Harris, cities statistician at the ONS.

When asked what concerned them most during the coronavirus pandemic, 27% of people in the North East said work, school or university, while 25.5% pointed to health, wellbeing or access to care.

The North East was the region where people were most worried their work would be affected by COVID-19.

The ONS said the number of deaths involving coronavirus in the UK reached its lowest weekly level for six weeks.

There were 4,210 deaths involving COVID-19 registered in the week ending 15 May, the lowest weekly total since the week ending 3 April, when 3,801 were registered.

Huge pinch of salt with that survey.

The type of people most likely to take no notice of CV19 are the type of peopel most likely to decline to answer a survey.

Those eager to answer it will be sat at home knitting another mask and looking forward to Thursday when they can clap the NHS.

I'd knock 30% off of all those totals.

2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I will not be googling that.

It's where the tramp stamp is ...  showing underwear ... 
My friend had been out for a drive and stopped at traffic lights and got caught looking. The girl's friend was laughing and shouted to him that she always shows it off. :)

1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

I will not be googling that.

I thought it was something to do with swimming so searched for this one, though still following my rule that if somebody advises you not to search for something then you don't, and discover that is the Y shaped part of a thong that rises above low cut jeans at the back.

That's a good one for a future QI:

Where would you find a whale tail below a tramp stamp?

51 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

And people aged between 16 and 34 in the North East were the most worried group in the whole of the UK

The group of people at the lowest statistical risk in the country are the ones most worried about catching Covid.

What's happened to education in our country ?

The couple in masks in the pic appear to be of Chinese origin.

If you look at most press photos of people in masks, they are usually of SE asian appearance.

People from that part of the world routinely wear masks when out anyway, even in non-epidemic times, and have done so for years.

I suspect photographers either don't know that, or don't care because they just want the dramatic effect.

On 27/05/2020 at 10:22, Libspero said:

The group of people at the lowest statistical risk in the country are the ones most worried about catching Covid.

What's happened to education in our country ?

That’s coz they have adhered to the lockdown. :)

11 minutes ago, Libspero said:

The young people?  

Not sure what you mean o.O

People (whatever age and profile) have decided that they are worried, more worried than the general population.  They thus limit their activities. This leads to them not being as likely to catch the virus. Ergo....  

1 hour ago, One percent said:

People (whatever age and profile) have decided that they are worried, more worried than the general population.  They thus limit their activities. This leads to them not being as likely to catch the virus. Ergo....  

Ok,  I think we are at cross purposes then.

I was referring to a chart that showed young adults were most worried about Covid.  Statistically they are the ones least risk from it.   Which suggests to me they are either much more timid as a generation than their predecessors,  or too badly educated to realise they aren’t actually at risk.  I think that point’s still valid unless the survey was wrong.

Just now, Libspero said:

I was referring to a chart that showed young adults were most worried about Covid.  Statistically they are the ones least risk from it.   Which suggests to me they are either much more timid as a generation than their predecessors,  or too badly educated to realise they aren’t actually at risk.  I think that point’s still valid unless the survey was wrong.

Ah, right my bad. I’m just thinking of the correlation between hiding indoors and thus not being as exposed. 

4 minutes ago, Libspero said:

They've never been told they're wrong so how do they feel knowing there's a risk of death from some old people virus.

9 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

They've never been told they're wrong so how do they feel knowing there's a risk of death from some old people virus.

My two daughters are incredibly blasé about it. Mind, before the lockdown, they were travelling on the tube every day and they don’t actually know anyone who has caught it, never mind died of it.