DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Best games console (mainly) for pre-adolescent

Another advice-seeking thread, sorry. 

I haven't bought a console since the Nintendo Wii, which gave up the ghost a year or so back.

Reading around it seems things moved on a lot, and then have possibly moved backwards in some respects (I'm thinking of the Xbox Kinect and then it being discontinued that I've just read about).

Anyway I'm confused - I'd like to know which is the best console (and maybe some games suggestions) for an 11yo girl. Initially I thought the Nintendo Switch, now I'm not so sure. Now she keeps fit with her swimming anyway, but I still I don't want her playing with her arse on the chair/sofa all the time, so more active kinetic games and consoles that favour this are favoured, and if it's sitting down, something that vaguely engages the brain would be good. 

Grateful for any advice....

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I haven't bought a console since the Nintendo Wii, which gave up the ghost a year or so back.

Reading around it seems things moved on a lot, and then have possibly moved backwards in some respects (I'm thinking of the Xbox Kinect and then it being discontinued that I've just read about).

Anyway I'm confused - I'd like to know which is the best console (and maybe some games suggestions) for an 11yo girl. Initially I thought the Nintendo Switch, now I'm not so sure. Now she keeps fit with her swimming anyway, but I still I don't want her playing with her arse on the chair/sofa all the time, so more active kinetic games and consoles that favour this are favoured, and if it's sitting down, something that vaguely engages the brain would be good. 

My last console was also a Wii. Erm, a PS4 with Beat Saber?

Animal Crossing on the old DS seemed to be a real hit I think about that age.

Bizarrely I only remembered that because the game and the console seem to have made a rapid cultish comeback and daughter brought the subject up the other day. Had all the old brain training games at the time. Very tight control of console content is a plus.

We have a Switch and everyone likes it, Playstations and Xboxes are there if she wants one when she's older. Got Mario Kart, Lego Jurassic World and Zelda, son wants Animal Crossing and Minecraft for it, darker games are available even though it is a Nintendo. Our daughter has used the screen and controllers about the house but its usually just attached to the telly. 

Controllers are expensive, but PS4 and Xbox ones are too, probably. 

Console games are much more focussed around interacting with your friends online these days. Kids will want whatever console “all” their friends have irrespective of minor technical differences on the platform or specific game availability.

My kids have an Xbox One and it’s excellent. You get an email with a breakdown of what they played and when. There are good content restrictions by age, and you can override them with good granularity where you feel it’s appropriate. There are some very active games on the roster, e.g. Just Dance.

1 minute ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Console games are much more focussed around interacting with your friends online these days. Kids will want whatever console “all” their friends have irrespective of minor technical differences on the platform or specific game availability.

My kids have an Xbox One and it’s excellent. You get an email with a breakdown of what they played and when. There are good content restrictions by age, and you can override them with good granularity where you feel it’s appropriate. There are some very active games on the roster, e.g. Just Dance.

Do you have the Kinect thingy? That looks as though it should be good, but I've read it's nothing like as good as it was sold to be.....

1 minute ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

You mean the Switch isn't much of an advance on the Wii? That would be a big disappointment. Surely it must be after all this time and the technology changes.

No, I mean you must already have some Wii games and controllers, or maybe you have already got rid.

My nipper is 20, and still uses the Wii to play Mario kart against his mates. He has had to hack it a bit though to get the online play working. 

1 minute ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Do you have the Kinect thingy? That looks as though it should be good, but I've read it's nothing like as good as it was sold to be.....

Yes. It’s good for just dance, haven’t used it for much else though. We don’t have that many games really.

I take it the different consoles don't talk to one another, so you can't play a game on a Switch with some friend elsewhere on an Xbox, but you can if they're both Switches or both Xboxes?

Apologies dumb questions, I'm from the bygone era of going to see your mates and doing something with them, which was sometimes a bit shit when it was pissing with rain.

1) What type of games does she like playing

2) Does she want to play online games with her friends

3) Does she want something portable

My daughter (10) has an xbox. But only because it's a hand-me-down. She only plays Roblox and Minecraft on it but speaks to her friends on xbox live.

The switch is great, but not great for online (don't even know if mic's etc work - they may do).

I'd probably go either 2ds or Switch at a complete stab in the dark, unless she's got friends on PSN or Xbox live that she wants to keep in touch with.

Don't get the switch "lite", it's not that much cheaper and takes away the best feature of the damn thing (can take the controllers off the side and play with someone else and includes a dock to use with the TV - it's pretty seamless and a nice touch on the normal switch)

9 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I take it the different consoles don't talk to one another, so you can't play a game on a Switch with some friend elsewhere on an Xbox, but you can if they're both Switches or both Xboxes?

Apologies dumb questions, I'm from the bygone era of going to see your mates and doing something with them, which was sometimes a bit shit when it was pissing with rain.

Some games, most notably Fortnite, do allow interactive play across platforms, but most do not (although that may be changing now with the extraordinary success of Fortnite model).

3 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Has she specifically asked for any particular kind of console, or does she want to play any particular genre of game?

The difference between many games since I was 11 is that they're designed to suck up so much more time, so putting my Dad-head on I'd want to try and steer kids away from the kind of games that can become all-consuming.

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Oh and it sounds like you're also after something vaguely educational - this is AFAIK a huge untapped market in gaming; the big 3 don't seem to offer much in this respect; maybe there is some offering out there that the parents on here will know about.

No, not too much, this is leisure really. But some games are quite stimulating for the brain so if I could get her to like one of that kind that'd be a plus.

Just now, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

No, not too much, this is leisure really. But some games are quite stimulating for the brain so if I could get her to like one of that kind that'd be a plus.

OK, I'll leave it to the folk who know more about modern gaming to suggest what games would meet that need.

The Switch does seem the obvious 11 yo girl choice but it won't be a massive jump from the Wii performance wise because they've made it portable.

I also think the Switch is quite flimsy and looks easy to break; and don't like the controller setup it comes with. Of course if you'd rather she did her gaming on a portable device (e.g. she's able to sit on the sofa with Mum and Dad and a set of headphones in like I used to do back in 1993-ish with my Sega Game Gear!) then the switch wins outright.

To the other gamers, might the XBox or Playstation be better choices because they have a wider app store i.e. more indy games to choose from, some of which might be a bit more mentally stimulating?

Just now, dgul said:

Find out what her friends are playing and get one of them (applies to consoles and games).

Actually yes, this. Ignore what I wrote above. This is prob the safest bet :D

Get a proper PC gaming machine. Get her playing Battlefield or Fortnite and then set up her own twitch and youtube channel. In a year she might be earning more bucks than you.

You can be her manager and take 15% Heck, Youtube will take 30%. But on her way to retirement by the time she is 20.

4 hours ago, Popuplights said:

No, I mean you must already have some Wii games and controllers, or maybe you have already got rid.

My nipper is 20, and still uses the Wii to play Mario kart against his mates. He has had to hack it a bit though to get the online play working. 

My 18 year old has always loved Nintendo. He also still loves and plays his Switch. 

Personally I like it more than any of the other consoles, and we have them all.