DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Diary of a house sale....post covid

Sasquatch

Wight Flight
16 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Ooo..err....we've had an OFFER!

People who viewed this morning. Couple in the their late 50's moving back to the UK from Switzerland. Obviously very well off. Cash buyers and nothing to sell.

They used to live in the same area a few years ago. Viewed 6 houses in two days and didn't like any of the others.

Banged in an offer £25,000 below our recently reduced price. If we accepted it's at our break even point, ie  after moving costs and return costs we would get back what we paid 2.5 years ago.

It's super tempting as it ticks all the boxes. Short chain. We are going into rented. They are coming out of rented.

We're wondering whether to split the difference on their offer and counter £12,500 higher. It's what I would expect if I was in the same situation.

Thoughts????

Exactly what I would expect. Except I would tell them you are meeting in the middle as a final position, rather than you dropping some way then them going up a bit etc etc.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just spoken to our agent. We've countered at £10,000 off current asking. Apparently they are living with their daughter at the moment having moved back to the UK and keen to move asap!

9 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Exactly what I would expect. Except I would tell them you are meeting in the middle as a final position, rather than you dropping some way then them going up a bit etc etc.

We're going softly softly at the moment. Their offer wasn't aggressive, ie take it or leave it.

Sold. Agreed £15,000 off asking.

Let's see if things progress properly. We are being told that it's taking 12 weeks to exchange, 4 weeks longer than normal due to covid.

I'm not counting any chickens, or dogs, at this stage.

leonardratso

dont forget the board commission you are due, for the, ahem, 'advice'. etc.

and the estate agents new bmw wont pay for itself.

9 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

dont forget the board commission you are due, for the, ahem, 'advice'. etc.

and the estate agents new bmw wont pay for itself.

:D

I thank all dosbodders for vaguely sticking to the premise of this thread so far.

I hope we won't still be talking about our house sale in 6 months when it's all fallen through.

Once we are in rented I can then start up a new thread about our house search. :Old:

Wight Flight
10 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Once we are in rented 

I am looking forward to the section on you getting a rented house ...

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

So just as a recap is that 40k off of the original listing price? As I think you already dropped it once?

17 minutes ago, Hardhat said:

So just as a recap is that 40k off of the original listing price? As I think you already dropped it once?

No, we've taken £60,000 off the original price. Effectively a 10% reduction. However, the original price was at least £25,000 higher than we thought the house was really worth. If it goes through we will be quite happy.

40 minutes ago, CVG said:

Have you got dogs? Go on, you'd love a dog!

No, and no.

We've got a cat and that's one pet too many.

I have a long standing agreement with my youngest daughter. When she leaves university and is in her first proper house, she gets the cat and I buy her a dog. It's a win win situation for all concerned.....

stop_the_craziness
13 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

No, and no.

I have a long standing agreement with my youngest daughter. When she leaves university and is in her first proper house, she gets the cat and I buy her a dog. It's a win win situation for all concerned.....

….except the cat who has to live with a smelly bastard dog.

20 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

….except the cat who has to live with a smelly bastard dog.

How do you know what her boyfriend's like?

Wight Flight
3 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

No, and no.

I really wouldn't mention the cat when looking to rent.

Green Devil
5 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Let's see if things progress properly. We are being told that it's taking 12 weeks to exchange, 4 weeks longer than normal due to covid.

I'm not counting any chickens, or yll dogs, at this stage.

Congrats. They may offer less after survey. Good luck! 

17 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Congrats. They may offer less after survey. Good luck! 

We're ready for that although the house is only 20 years old. About the only thing that could be picked up is some tatty paintwork on the gable fascia.

41 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I really wouldn't mention the cat when looking to rent.

Noted. We'll move and give the cat a map so she can come and find us later :D

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

Noted. We'll move and give the cat a map so she can come and find us later :D

It's what I did with my kids.

Feckers found us in the end though.

leonardratso

i think the survey may find a severe structural weakness in the bay window where its been misfilled with chewing gum and spit/sawdust. It may also mention that the garage door needs an overcoat (blue hammerite would look nice).

15 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

We are being told that it's taking 12 weeks to exchange, 4 weeks longer than normal due to covid

This makes me laugh...record low transactions and the whole process done over the internet...it looks as though some solicitors/conveyancers need a period of unemployment to `refocus` their attention!

11 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

This makes me laugh...record low transactions and the whole process done over the internet...it looks as though some solicitors/conveyancers need a period of unemployment to `refocus` their attention!

I concur 100%. 

Everything is soooo difficult now in this covid world. I emailed our solicitor yesterday and got a bounce back saying she was on furlough and someone else would be in contact. The magic money tree is still bearing fruit. 

I think the stamp duty freeze will definitely boost sales. Nothing gets people more excited than 'sales' and 'bargains'. The fact that someone might be paying £500,000 for a house that's really only worth say £350,000 will go by the by. The £10,000 tax saving will be key thing. 

Although we have done a deal I'm already worrying that they will back out at some point but I suspect they will have the FOMO if they do this.

We'll miss out on the stamp duty holiday as we are going into rented but we are not at all bothered. I suspect that the world will be a very different place in 2 to 3 years time with rising inflation, rising interest rates and ongoing economic gloom.

Democorruptcy
14 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

No, we've taken £60,000 off the original price. Effectively a 10% reduction. However, the original price was at least £25,000 higher than we thought the house was really worth. If it goes through we will be quite happy.

Original price was £600k, then you dropped to £550k, they just offered £525k agreed £535k?

Presumably they only pay stamp duty on £35k now, so they could have paid the £550k. You have given it away!

20 hours ago, CVG said:

Yes, and so? You don't think there are properties in that price range?

South of IOW rather than South of England?

In which case - Ahh.

Bear in mind that outside of the economically active areas, which are few n far between now - housing market is driven by local wages/employment and probate numbers.

Archived