DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Diary of a house sale....post covid

Sasquatch

crashmonitor
4 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

We have another viewing this saturday. Any suggested seduction techniques? (legal of course)

Make sure they are aware of all you have done over the last two years. They may  look at zoopla and do the sums. As a buyer I always do the sums on price paid plus a guess on improvements. Reading the thread the asking doesn't seem too far out and you have had to put in the sweat and tears. Perhaps the previous bidder didn't put in the background homework, if they did they might have concluded they were paying a fair price.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sleepwello'nights
5 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

We have another viewing this saturday. Any suggested seduction techniques? (legal of course)

Facetiously, twigs in vases, bake some bread and have some coffee brewing. :)

We've got three agents coming round this week to view our house and advise us on the price we should ask. 

18 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

We've got three agents coming round this week to view our house and advise us on the price we should ask. 

Best of luck. Will be interesting to see what they think the market is doing. 

Wight Flight
5 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Are you hosting the viewing yourself or is the agent?

27 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Are you hosting the viewing yourself or is the agent?

Us. I'm sure we'll sell at some point. Strange times at the moment though.

Wight Flight
Just now, Sasquatch said:

Us. I'm sure we'll sell at some point. Strange times at the moment though.

I am sure you have mentioned it but remind me why are you selling?

5 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I am sure you have mentioned it but remind me why are you selling?

Going into rented for 1 to 2 years max. Buy semi rural house in the north (Yorkshire or maybe Cumbria) possibly with annex facility for aged in laws. From a rented position we should have the ability to strike when the right property comes up. Carry on working but in a much reduced capacity, maybe 20 hours a week.

We don't have to sell now but I can't see the marketplace improving over the next two years!

Wight Flight
2 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Going into rented for 1 to 2 years max. Buy semi rural house in the north (Yorkshire or maybe Cumbria) possibly with annex facility for aged in laws. From a rented position we should have the ability to strike when the right property comes up. Carry on working but in a much reduced capacity, maybe 20 hours a week.

We don't have to sell now but I can't see the marketplace improving over the next two years!

All excellent reasons but what are you telling your potential buyers?

It is the first thing I would want to try and work out if I was viewing.

1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

All excellent reasons but what are you telling your potential buyers?

It is the first thing I would want to try and work out if I was viewing.

Pretty much the same as above. Both our daughters live in Leeds so we want to be 1 hour max from them (but north of Leeds). The area where we live at the moment is very pleasant. The house is perhaps slightly quirky (3 storey) and only has a decked garden but nice and private. It is also in a price bracket out of most local people's reach. The people viewing on Saturday live close by (they have SSTC) so they will know the area. They just need to like the house. If they genuinely want a 4 or 5 bed detached with parking, they have a choice of about 3 houses near here.

Wight Flight
2 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Pretty much the same as above. Both our daughters live in Leeds so we want to be 1 hour max from them (but north of Leeds). The area where we live at the moment is very pleasant. The house is perhaps slightly quirky (3 storey) and only has a decked garden but nice and private. It is also in a price bracket out of most local people's reach. The people viewing on Saturday live close by (they have SSTC) so they will know the area. They just need to like the house. If they genuinely want a 4 or 5 bed detached with parking, they have a choice of about 3 houses near here.

That isn't selling it to me.

I would rather you absolutely loved the place, but had a job offer in Carolina that you just couldn't refuse or you wouldn't even be thinking about moving. Ever.

1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

That isn't selling it to me.

I would rather you absolutely loved the place, but had a job offer in Carolina that you just couldn't refuse or you wouldn't even be thinking about moving. Ever.

Never had problems selling in the past (I think this is our 7th - I worked it out earlier in this thread). Even got full asking price for the last house. I'm fairly sure it's down to the price band we're in.

Not sure I want to start making up reasons for moving.....just yet.

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Best of luck. Will be interesting to see what they think the market is doing. 

Ours yesterday thinks it’s moving. Ours being listed this week.

Wight Flight
Just now, Sasquatch said:

Never had problems selling in the past (I think this is our 7th - I worked it out earlier in this thread). Even got full asking price for the last house. I'm fairly sure it's down to the price band we're in.

I am not suggesting you invent a reason. Just polish and embellish one.

I want to buy a home off someone that doesn't want to sell it. But that requirement  to sell can't be because they need to for the wrong reason or my offer will be low.

9 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

That's what the EA's there for - lying! Let them do the viewing. 

Another viewing booked in for Saturday. They have a house to sell and ordinarily we would probably have said no. However they are coming straight after the other people. Can't hurt to have a little time pressure on viewings.

On 14/07/2020 at 22:05, Sasquatch said:

On 14/07/2020 at 22:18, Sasquatch said:

Again, the best bang for your buck without having to full on scum in Scarborough.

The train connection to Leeds is decent - fast n regular.

The town is that bad and the worst areas are easily avoided.

Anywhere near the hospital/sixth form or Scalby/North Bay is great.

Much better value than around Boroughbridge, lor chavvy Ripon/Bedale, both of which are getting scummy.

And Id avoid Yawk like the plague. I used to thjnk Id retire to yawk. No way now.

Knock 1/4 to 1/3 off too.

https://www.onthemarket.com/details/8818023/?utm_source=home_co_uk&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=home_feed

https://www.onthemarket.com/details/7301119/?utm_source=home_co_uk&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=home_feed

On 19/06/2020 at 09:56, spygirl said:

No, its a high earning, flush with cash buyers market.

80% of potential buyers barely have a 10% deposit..

Just confirming what Id guess.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53431056?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business&link_location=live-reporting-story

The longer rate stay low and the less n less bans will lend.

BoE is holding to MMR.

Property in large parts of the country are priceless - in the bad meaning of the word.

Most 70+ homeowners face little chance of exiting property before they die.

Democorruptcy
On 15/07/2020 at 09:49, Sasquatch said:

Another viewing booked in for Saturday. They have a house to sell and ordinarily we would probably have said no. However they are coming straight after the other people. Can't hurt to have a little time pressure on viewings.

When the first couple come in, casually lock the door so they cannot get out before they see the next couple waiting. Just before you do let them out ask the wife "is this couple outside the people who are here for a second viewing or is it the next couple?" Pressure!

sleepwello'nights

We've had the last of three agents round to view our house and give us their opinions on its value and market conditions.

All three say there is a lot of activity as those who were held back by lock down now are able to proceed. My anecdotal evidence is that sales have accelerated in the last few weeks. They do caution that they think once those delayed have completed their moves then the market is likely to stall as lenders tighten their criteria and unemployment rises. It does depend on whether the government are able to introduce measures to stimulate the market.

We have to decide what pricing tactic to use, whether to follow what I've always done to start with a higher asking price and then negotiate down or start with a guide price and negotiate up. 

Green Devil
On 14/07/2020 at 20:35, sleepwello'nights said:

I would add some graphics in each room large text on the walls, perhaps with twigs or lovely flowers nearby. 

Kitchen - HOME

Dining - LOVE

Hall - WELCOME

Bedroom - SLEEP

Works wonders, a sale is guaranteed and likely to add thousands to your received offer. 

😂😂😂

Green Devil
34 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

We've had the last of three agents round to view our house and give us their opinions on its value and market conditions.

All three say there is a lot of activity as those who were held back by lock down now are able to proceed. My anecdotal evidence is that sales have accelerated in the last few weeks. They do caution that they think once those delayed have completed their moves then the market is likely to stall as lenders tighten their criteria and unemployment rises. It does depend on whether the government are able to introduce measures to stimulate the market.

We have to decide what pricing tactic to use, whether to follow what I've always done to start with a higher asking price and then negotiate down or start with a guide price and negotiate up. 

Typical EA BS. Non committal, the markets great, but you better be careful and take the first offer you get from proceedable buyers 😂😂

5 hours ago, sleepwello'nights said:

How grouped were the valuations. Consistent and therefore potentially reassuring or all over the place?

Guide price and negotiate up only works in a hot market, surely?

4 hours ago, Green Devil said:

I would add some graphics in each room large text on the walls, perhaps with twigs or lovely flowers nearby. 

Kitchen - HOME

Dining - LOVE

Hall - WELCOME

Bedroom - SLEEP

Works wonders, a sale is guaranteed and likely to add thousands to your received offer. 

😂😂😂

I have standards. 

I did jet wash the paths today and did some pruning/weeding. Our hopes are not high for tomorrow. Neither of the buyers are proceedable. 

Couple more properties have come onto the market. They look very expensive to me so hopefully that will help with ours.

sleepwello'nights
35 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

How grouped were the valuations. Consistent and therefore potentially reassuring or all over the place?

Guide price and negotiate up only works in a hot market, surely?

Their opinion on the price was within a 10% band. The issue I think with the agents who are at the lower end is that our house is a "town house", so mid-terrace. It was built in 2004/5 and is quite large. In fact larger than detached houses that have asking prices 10% higher than the top end of the other  agent's valuations. It has four double bedrooms three of which have en-suite bathrooms. This would make it great for a family with teenage children, their own en-suite so no fighting over getting into the bathroom. Or for an older household who have friends or family stay over. 

We'll see. If we don't get a buyer at the price we (where's strike through formatting gone?) I want I'm happy to stay put. 

I agree with your opinion on guide price and negotiate up although the market does seem quite active at the moment.

sancho panza
9 hours ago, sleepwello'nights said:

think there was always likely to be a spurt of sales psot covid as people may have suddenly got the desire for more space.

Archived