DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Diary of a house sale....post covid

Sasquatch

Just spoken to our agent. They are having a very busy month but it's pretty much related to country properties only. I can see that some of their properties have are now SSTC so he is telling the truth. These are properties in the £500K to £1M range.

I think we are now in a relatively short term window.. Our agent thinks the wheels will fall off come winter when the furlough ends (I didn't prompt him). That has me worried! They are normally uber optimistic these EAs.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sleepwello'nights
22 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

The other thing that surprises me is that they haven't made any attempt to contact me. Clearly my Intel would have been biased, but if I was going to spend £0.5m I would collate and then fact check any information I could get.

Will see how it goes from here.

Oh, we have become so enamoured with your description of the idyllic life style on the Isle of Wight that we've put in an offer on house there. It is rented at the moment but the seller tells us he can get him out if we want. ;)

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Oh, we have become so enamoured with your description of the idyllic life style on the Isle of Wight that we've put in an offer on house there. It is rented at the moment but the seller tells us he can get him out if we want. ;)

Well done. Just so long as you are aware that the drains are fucked and there is an estimated £20k repair bill coming, and the lovely fields you overlook are part of the Island plan and will get consent for 30 houses with no questions asked.

Not only do you lose your view, but you will live next door to a building site for two years.

Oh, and did I mention the damp? But no doubt the surveyor will have spotted that, along with the growing cracks in some walls.

But nothing to worry about. I am sure you will be happy here. For some time at least.

leonardratso
1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

Well done. Just so long as you are aware that the drains are fucked and there is an estimated £20k repair bill coming, and the lovely fields you overlook are part of the Island plan and will get consent for 30 houses with no questions asked.

Not only do you lose your view, but you will live next door to a building site for two years.

Oh, and did I mention the damp? But no doubt the surveyor will have spotted that, along with the growing cracks in some walls.

But nothing to worry about. I am sure you will be happy here. For some time at least.

dont forget that when they say 20 years, they mean 18 months. like in the cliff hanger house.

Green Devil
6 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Just spoken to our agent. They are having a very busy month but it's pretty much related to country properties only. I can see that some of their properties have are now SSTC so he is telling the truth. These are properties in the £500K to £1M range.

I think we are now in a relatively short term window.. Our agent thinks the wheels will fall off come winter when the furlough ends (I didn't prompt him). That has me worried! They are normally uber optimistic these EAs.

It ain't sold until the data's on land registry. At the moment lots of places are sstc yet no ones moved. All chains are seized solid. 

9 hours ago, Green Devil said:

It ain't sold until the data's on land registry. At the moment lots of places are sstc yet no ones moved. All chains are seized solid. 

Very good point. However, I'm talking about properties that have gone SSTC in the last 2 weeks. I think things are freeing up a little.

We have a viewing Monday morning. Will be interesting to see how that pans out. We've been told to open all doors and some windows. That'll frighten off covid 19.

leonardratso
1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Very good point. However, I'm talking about properties that have gone SSTC in the last 2 weeks. I think things are freeing up a little.

We have a viewing Monday morning. Will be interesting to see how that pans out. We've been told to open all doors and some windows. That'll frighten off covid 19.

might let it in.

Those filthy viewers might sneeze on your light switches as well.

Green Devil
On 13/06/2020 at 13:00, leonardratso said:

might let it in.

Those filthy viewers might sneeze on your light switches as well.

If they are sneezing And blaming hay-fever, don't beleive it 😂

Interesting viewing. Bollocks to the virus - handshakes all round!!

Couple with family in rented and apparently cash buyers. Asked about our best price but we insisted they went through our agent. I think it's 50:50 that we will get an offer in the next 24 hours or so. My gut feeling is that they will take at least 10% off, perhaps more.

Just walked through the town centre. Much much busier with queues outside Primark, all of the banks, M&S etc. Even "My beautiful record shop" is open.:Old:

On 28/05/2020 at 17:08, 5min OCD speculator said:

funny you should mention knocking off £75k......I bought in 2008 when I wanted to rent but the boss bitch at the time (now divorced) wouldn't rent.....

so I offered £75k off the asking price of £550k.....at first I got laughed at (it had been up at dreamy £610k), then a month later they came back and said we could have it.....

wish I hadn't bothered, lost £30k selling it 4 years later xD

No it cost you 30k to live there for 4 years how much would it have cost to rent for 4 years

49 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

No it cost you 30k to live there for 4 years how much would it have cost to rent for 4 years

Well yes and no..£30k s&s @ 5% return =£6k lost opportunity...£1k pa maintenance...so that £30k is now £40k...plus insurance...

TheCountOfNowhere

I've done a bit of house viewing rubber necking today :-)

Was a house owned by a retired GP.

It's listed for sale at 25x the national average wage for a GP.

It is not a bubble. I repeat, it is not a bubble.

Feedback from our viewers yesterday.

They are waiting 6 months to see how the market is then. Methinks we've lost that buyer!

I have to say it's not looking very positive.....

TheCountOfNowhere
21 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

I've done a bit of house viewing rubber necking today :-)

Was a house owned by a retired GP.

It's listed for sale at 25x the national average wage for a GP.

It is not a bubble. I repeat, it is not a bubble.

Bit naughty today, I offered to buy the house, £500K under asking.

I could feel the steam coming out the ears of the agent over the phone.

It seems CV19 will have no effect on the housing market.

House prices went up 2% last month, which I must have missed.

He was angry angry angry, proper angry.  

But prices are going up, the anger seemed odd, very odd.  

I finished with, I'm the one with the cash so if they dont want it that's fine by me.

I feel dirty now tho.

TheCountOfNowhere
48 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

They are waiting 6 months to see how the market is then. Methinks we've lost that buyer!

Did you get my £500K below asking offer today ?

stop_the_craziness
2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Blimey, they might have pissed off the estate agents more than The Count has by admitting that.

Green Devil
2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

haha, now thats proper feedback to an EA. Music to our ears, Fuck you ! 

edit just to be clear, thats the EA, not you :)

1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Did you get my £500K below asking offer today ?

No, but put your offer in and I will respond....with added XYY inspired panache. ;)

11 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

To be honest, it's how I would be tackling things if the shoe was on the other foot.

Fully Detached
18 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

We've been saying exactly the same, but much as I'd enjoy telling EAs to go and fuck themselves I'm doing it with a different purpose in mind. We're looking to buy for cash so obviously expect a decent discount in return. At the moment there seem to be enough buyers willing to offer close enough to asking prices (who knows whether they'll complete or not) that our business isn't wanted right now. And I can't blame the vendors or the EAs for that, it's the buyers I can't fathom.

But for me it's worth doing the viewings and starting a conversation with the EAs and where possible the vendors so they know where we are and what we expect when the time comes that our business is wanted. The looks I've been seeing on agents faces tells me we are not the first people to have told them the same thing, and they're not getting angry or telling me to fuck off, because they know it's only a matter of time.

Popuplights
2 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Bit naughty today, I offered to buy the house, £500K under asking.

I could feel the steam coming out the ears of the agent over the phone.

It seems CV19 will have no effect on the housing market.

House prices went up 2% last month, which I must have missed.

He was angry angry angry, proper angry.  

But prices are going up, the anger seemed odd, very odd.  

I finished with, I'm the one with the cash so if they dont want it that's fine by me.

I feel dirty now tho.

You naughty tease....

TheCountOfNowhere
43 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

You naughty tease....

I know.  Couldn't resist it. I might phone up and withdraw my offer tomorrow and say We are "waiting 6 months to see how the market is then" B|

P.S. I f**king detest estate agents

5 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

So why are they bothering to view?!...can't understand some peoples logic...unless of course they are bullshitting and hoping t `stew` you a little before they come back with a `low ball` offer.

TheCountOfNowhere
54 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

So why are they bothering to view?!...can't understand some peoples logic...unless of course they are bullshitting and hoping t `stew` you a little before they come back with a `low ball` offer.

Why was i? 

Wanted a day out. 

leonardratso
53 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

maybe they are just nosey bastards like my sister, she used to view houses for hints and tips about what to do in her own and also to see if stuff was any good before she fitted it to her own house. No derelicts, just the high end expensive shit, was just a hobby, wasnt actually going to buy it.

Wight Flight
17 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Just rent it out for six months.

Innit.

Archived