DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Diary of a house sale....post covid

Sasquatch

11 hours ago, MrXxxx said:

So why are they bothering to view?!...can't understand some peoples logic...unless of course they are bullshitting and hoping t `stew` you a little before they come back with a `low ball` offer.

Goes with the territory especially if it's a buyers market. This is going to be the trickiest and slowest house sale ever for us. It will be our 7th move in 28 years. Previous 6 were relatively easy and we have always achieved asking price or within 2 or 3%. I'll eat my hat if we manage that this time.

When selling our last house a couple rolled up to view looking like the were about to spend a day on the beach. Turned out that they were visiting relatives near by and fancied a look at our house on the way. Talk about bare faced cheek! Spent more time looking at our artwork and furniture than the house. We had to have a strong word with our agent....

I fear that this thread might be 'active' for quite a long time :(

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheCountOfNowhere
1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Goes with the territory especially if it's a buyers market. This is going to be the trickiest and slowest house sale ever for us. It will be our 7th move in 28 years. Previous 6 were relatively easy and we have always achieved asking price or within 2 or 3%. I'll eat my hat if we manage that this time.

When selling our last house a couple rolled up to view looking like the were about to spend a day on the beach. Turned out that they were visiting relatives near by and fancied a look at our house on the way. Talk about bare faced cheek! Spent more time looking at our artwork and furniture than the house. We had to have a strong word with our agent....

My offer, thankfully, has been officially rejected by the way.  They want full asking price :D  I shouldnt really waste peoples time but I've got a lot of time at the mo.

What I got from this is:

1) The agents are bullish, dunno if they actually believe their own rhetoric or they are being told to say it.

2) After 20 emails from the agent after I registered offering things from 30 miles away at half the budget I gave them....It seems to me....THEY ARE DESPERATE FOR SALES.  I've practically been bombarded.

3) Am angry estate agent is not only comical but telling in equal measures, those commission based 2nd hand house salesmen must be getting poorer by the day.

4) The pwopatee "experts" will just not let a house price crash happen, not because they can deliberately control it, but lower prices just do not compute in their tiny ickle brains.  

5) I'm a ****

Anyway, enough of taunting these poor souls.

Green Devil

I'm thinking about putting in an embarrassingly low offer on this place I viewed. Just to annoy our friendly agent in his brand new Merc. (I wonder if he can afford the payments on it at the moment). How low do you think I should go? . Baring in mind I don't want to fuck off the agent so much that he blackballs me, but I want to know he's feeling the pain. 😂😂

TheCountOfNowhere
1 hour ago, Green Devil said:

I'm thinking about putting in an embarrassingly low offer on this place I viewed. Just to annoy our friendly agent in his brand new Merc. (I wonder if he can afford the payments on it at the moment). How low do you think I should go? . Baring in mind I don't want to fuck off the agent so much that he blackballs me, but I want to know he's feeling the pain. 😂😂

Comission based salesmen black ball no one.

10 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

If someones idea of fun is traipsing around someone elses house looking at their curtains they need to get a life! :-)

TheCountOfNowhere
10 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

It will be our 7th move in 28 years.

How much has that cost you in stamp duty ?

5 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

If someones idea of fun is traipsing around someone elses house looking at their curtains they need to get a life! :-)

If someones idea of fun is traipsing around someone else's house to annoy estate agents then what a great life.

1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Quite a bit I expect but only for the last two moves. We have always bought houses requiring refurbishment and because of a combination of hard work and of course rising markets the stamp duty and other fees hasn't mattered. The jump in house prices between the late 90's and mid 2000's was particularly mad. I feel really sorry for the latest generation (which includes our two daughters). We do need a big reset*

* once of course we've sold our current house  :D

TheCountOfNowhere
14 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Quite a bit I expect but only for the last two moves. We have always bought houses requiring refurbishment and because of a combination of hard work and of course rising markets the stamp duty and other fees hasn't mattered. The jump in house prices between the late 90's and mid 2000's was particularly mad. I feel really sorry for the latest generation (which includes our two daughters). We do need a big reset*

* once of course we've sold our current house  :D

One of the things that put us off buying is stamp duty, if we moved 2 times we'd have been better off renting.  

Green Devil
On 17/06/2020 at 19:54, TheCountOfNowhere said:

If someones idea of fun is traipsing around someone else's house to annoy estate agents then what a great life.

It's better to book Appointments and not turn Up. Works well for two or three times. Then they finally twig and call you before hand 😂😂

sancho panza
10 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

One of the things that put us off buying is stamp duty, if we moved 2 times we'd have been better off renting.  

If you move frequently for work then stamp duty and transaction costs mount up..We've moved three times in last 6 years,twice through choice.Can be expensive business ...

TheCountOfNowhere
6 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

If you move frequently for work then stamp duty and transaction costs mount up..We've moved three times in last 6 years,twice through choice.Can be expensive business ...

Much more tax money for the people pushing up the house prices. 

Its evil levels of genius. 

Organised crime at its finest

On 17/06/2020 at 09:25, Sasquatch said:

No, its a high earning, flush with cash buyers market.

80% of potential buyers barely have a 10% deposit..

sancho panza
3 hours ago, spygirl said:

No, its a high earning, flush with cash buyers market.

80% of potential buyers barely have a 10% deposit..

True story?

That's an amazing fact if it's correct.

We've got to our 'fuck it' moment and taken £50,000 off the asking price. We can come down another £20,000 if we absolutely have to.

It will be interesting to see if this flushes any buyers out. If not, I guess we won't be moving any time soon. We are now looking like very good value compared to the opposition.

TheCountOfNowhere
22 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

We've got to our 'fuck it' moment and taken £50,000 off the asking price. We can come down another £20,000 if we absolutely have to.

It will be interesting to see if this flushes any buyers out. If not, I guess we won't be moving any time soon. We are now looking like very good value compared to the opposition.

You're not very patient, I've seen some places between 2007 and 2014 not reduce their price once and sold for full asking price to some moronic c**t from London.

1 minute ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

You're not very patient, I've seen some places between 2007 and 2014 not reduce their price once and sold for full asking price to some moronic c**t from London.

:D

We have a plan. Get the house sold, move into rented, semi-retire, buy nice house in country, watch price of PMs go to the moon. It's basically foolproof.

TheCountOfNowhere
18 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

:D

We have a plan. Get the house sold, move into rented, semi-retire, buy nice house in country, watch price of PMs go to the moon. It's basically foolproof.

Welcome to June 2007.

Democorruptcy
3 hours ago, sancho panza said:

True story?

That's an amazing fact if it's correct.

Don't fall for Spy's made up figures. To back it up the link is of an article from Feb 2019 about 2017/18 figures!

the typical deposit paid by a first-time buyer in 2017/18 was £44,635, down from £48,591 the year before. This means it’s fallen by £3,956, or 8.14%.

So even FTB had over £44k deposits (maybe inc HTB) which could be a lot more than 10% deposits on average and it completely ignores other non-FTB buyers who might be putting more down and cash buyers.

Green Devil
3 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

So I put in an offer 20% under asking. Surprisingly the agent took it well. Thank you he said we will put it forward to the solicitors with all the other offers 😂😂 if I get any interest you know the pwatatee market is screwed big time! 

sancho panza
6 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Can you give us a rough precy of the price action thus far as this is fascinating.You were already at the value end of the market and you're cutting £50k off?

DId you get viewings? What's driven that decision?It's not been on the market that long has it?

5 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Can you give us a rough precy of the price action thus far as this is fascinating.You were already at the value end of the market and you're cutting £50k off?

DId you get viewings? What's driven that decision?It's not been on the market that long has it?

I'm a bit reluctant to give too many details as this is in the public section of the forum and I obviously don't want someone to work out where I live.

We actually went on the market October last year, had 4 or 5 viewings and then came back off the market in December. The upcoming general election was not helping things. Went back on mid Feb, had two viewings and then lockdown. Had one viewing in the last week.

If we liked living here then I'd be pretty relaxed....but we don't. We lived in the city for 10 years, then country for 12 years and city living for the last 2. We want to get back into the country and get back to peace and quiet, growing veg, nature etc. We can semi retire in the next couple of years and probably retire fully within 5 years. We may well pool resources with the in laws and buy a house with an annexe.

We're not in the value end of property for our city, just this very small exclusive bit of the city. If I type our postcode into rightmove and put in a 1/4 mile search radius, there are 26 properties including ours. Most expensive is a very nice large detached house at a crazy £2M, cheapest is a £100,000 one bed apartment. Along with one other ours is now the cheapest detached house. 

The price reduction sounds dramatic but to be honest the original asking price was higher than we'd anticipated. We have improved the house a lot but the original asking price would have put an extra £75,000 in our pocket if we'd achieved it. We're not greedy or mad but I like to think we are pragmatic. Of the last 4 viewings, 3 were high net worth discretionary cash buyers. We're hoping we flush one of these out with the price reduction and will allow another £25,000 to get it sold.

Hope that helps. Any more questions, fire away!

By the way, I hate moving house:PissedOff:

On 17/06/2020 at 19:49, MrXxxx said:

Agree I’m a total dick and if I get another house I’m not going to fuck

about I will just offer 20% under asking and see what happens but bear in mind the houses I will be looking at will be under 70k .I would like to sell my house bung my 27k pension money on top and go after a 140k house in stoke which trust me would tick all the boxes but that leaves me cockless at work and I don’t like that .my terrace might make 60k its not ace but new doors double glazeing and boiler and new radiators mean

anything else is just cosmetic .im

big on revenge and I’ve started to loath my own country and I want my tax back im

so tempted to rent to someone on social if I get a house to rent out but I draw the line at an unemployed lodger either way I’m determined I’m going to fuck the system

up

tje arse

Archived