DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

BooHoo

spygirl

Im only slightly aware of this. Its AIM, so dont tend to invest or take much interest

Had a look since the yesterday short

https://www.shadowfall.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BOOHOO_ShadowFall_Research.pdf

Blingtastic

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/business/business-news/boohoo-adam-kamani-profile-manchester-14617736

And buying his kids company today.....

Billionaire playboy Pretty Little Thing founder who took taxpayers' cash to furlough 86 staff sells his stake in the online fashion giant to his father's firm Boohoo for up to £324million

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8364893/Pretty-Little-Thing-founder-sells-stake-fathers-firm-Boohoo-324million.html

Jesus. A rag trade company with 86 employees bought for 324m ....

7 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

This just reminds me how far away from the mainstream i am. I have absolutely no idea what boohoo is.

Muzzers on AIM ....

• Informative 1

TheCountOfNowhere
53 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

This just reminds me how far away from the mainstream i am. I have absolutely no idea what boohoo is.

Boohoo, it's the sounds BTLers now make.

Still looking ...

I thought they were lording it over Bangladeshis.

Why bother, when the the BDs are in the UK....

https://labourbehindthelabel.org/boohoo/

boowho_SHHHHH-003.jpg

https://www.channel4.com/press/news/undercover-britains-cheap-clothes-channel-4-dispatches-mon-30th-jan

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jun/22/cost-cheap-fast-fashion-workers-planet

https://www.ft.com/content/e427327e-5892-11e8-b8b2-d6ceb45fa9d0

When Hassan Doshi moved from India to Leicester in 1982, he had good reason to feel optimistic. He had landed in a place that was hungry for sewing skills, a city of factories whose motto was “Leicester clothes the world”. He arrived on a Friday and started work on Monday. “1982 was good timing! I miss that time,” says Doshi, who is now 60 and still makes his own trousers. He remembers 29 days of paid holiday, 12.30 finishes on Fridays, and factory owners poaching him with the promise of higher pay.

These good times ended in 2001. The factory where he had worked for a decade — a supplier to the retailer BHS — closed down because, he says, production moved to Sri Lanka. It had done well to hold out so long. Retailers had already started “chasing the cheap needle round the planet”, as one retail executive puts it, and they have continued to do so. 

The garment trade in Leicester, a city in the heart of England that boomed in the industrial age, managed to cling on, fragmented and weakened, in small units in the shells of old factory buildings. Market traders and wholesalers kept sourcing clothes there, as did some high-street brands like New Look when they needed to top up stocks. Doshi spent years bouncing from struggling small factory to factory, “always moving, moving, moving”.

“Speed is our main USP and the UK is as quick as you can get,” said Nitin Passi, founder of online retailer Missguided, in 2014. Both Boohoo and Missguided source at least half their clothes in the UK, with hubs in Leicester, Manchester and London supplying a host of brands. I bought two Boohoo dresses for £6 and £7 respectively; both turned out to have been made in Leicester. Trendy, fast and cheap has proved a winning strategy. Boohoo’s market value has more than doubled to about £2.3bn since listing on London’s Aim exchange in 2014.

How is it possible to make cheap clothes in a country where the minimum wage for over-25s is £7.83 an hour? Online retailers’ nimbleness and lower overheads allow them to pay more for products while still giving consumers a good price. In addition, there are manufacturers that use technology to make clothes more efficiently. But factory owners in Leicester say some take a different route, one more reminiscent of the 19th century than the 21st. They call these places “dark factories.”

Part of Leicester’s garment industry has become detached from UK employment law, “a country within a country”, as one factory owner puts it, where “£5 an hour is considered the top wage”, even though that is illegal. Doshi (not his real name) says he has worked in places with blocked fire escapes, old machines and no holiday or sick pay. There are garment factories that follow the law, but a “perceived culture of impunity”, as a 2018 government report puts it, has created a bizarre microeconomy where larger factories using machines are outcompeted by smaller rivals using underpaid humans.

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...

Hmm so what happened then coronavirus spreading in the city blew out the sweatshops and grey / dark factories ?  People knew what went on but turned a blind eye? 

• Agree 1

One thing to come out of this is the realisation that pretty much all these neo fashion brands are owned or started by the Muz.

Missguided, pretty little thing, boohoo, isawitfirst, Misspap, even Asos was founded by one. It makes you wonder how many are or were reliant on Leicester based exploitation. Without that I'm not sure their business model will be workable. 

• Agree 7

Just to add, the other thing about this: it shoots down this idiotic widespread fallacy that Indians respect their elders. I always suspected it was bollocks. Nothing says "respect" like getting a load of Indian pensioners to work illegally for 18 hours a day for £2.50 an hour sewing clothes destined to be worn once by some chav.

• Agree 4

52 minutes ago, spunko said:

Just to add, the other thing about this: it shoots down this idiotic widespread fallacy that Indians respect their elders. I always suspected it was bollocks. Nothing says "respect" like getting a load of Indian pensioners to work illegally for 18 hours a day for £2.50 an hour sewing clothes destined to be worn once by some chav.

Ah yes, that old chestnut.

Ive been to India a few times for work.

never again.

Im not sure when I as disabused of that. Cant remember if it was the first or second  time I saw a bloke in a car mow down an old lower caste beggar.

Indians respect old, richer family/caste members.

Mainly Indians respect money.

sancho panza
16 hours ago, Ash4781b said:

Hmm so what happened then coronavirus spreading in the city blew out the sweatshops and grey / dark factories ?  People knew what went on but turned a blind eye? 

These factories are known about but authorities turn a blind eye for sure. There are sections of the community here in Leicester that operate with the connivance of local govt -especially-turning a blind eye.

Worth considering as well that a lot of the cheap labour aren't British nationals.I've lived in Leicester msot of my life-except when travelling and living abroad for a few years.Sounds funny to say this,but within the South Asian and African communities,it's pretty easy to tell whehter people are first/second/third generation and which religion they are jsut by looking at them.The EE's stand out because they're in the worng areas.

Reality is that if you are outside these factories at tipping out time,a lot of the people aren't local local if you know what I mean.Some people get overstay visas and drop into the underwolrd,or even worse they get lent money to come here and then spend years in penury.

British first/second/thrid geners know how to get on the UB and know how to claim disability if needed

Same with restaurants.They work on cheap/free labour.

Obvioously labour control 53/54 council seats so these people are truly fucked as Labour won't want to upset anyone.

When the free m,oney runs out Leicester is going to erupt in religious conflict.

I was in Spinney Hills a while back and saw some interesting 'intereactions' between pakistani/somali youths...........and thelocal  politicians are worried about white supremacy...clueless.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

reformed nice guy
18 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

These factories are known about but authorities turn a blind eye for sure. There are sections of the community here in Leicester that operate with the connivance of local govt -especially-turning a blind eye.

Worth considering as well that a lot of the cheap labour aren't British nationals.I've lived in Leicester msot of my life-except when travelling and living abroad for a few years.Sounds funny to say this,but within the South Asian and African communities,it's pretty easy to tell whehter people are first/second/third generation and which religion they are jsut by looking at them.The EE's stand out because they're in the worng areas.

Reality is that if you are outside these factories at tipping out time,a lot of the people aren't local local if you know what I mean.Some people get overstay visas and drop into the underwolrd,or even worse they get lent money to come here and then spend years in penury.

British first/second/thrid geners know how to get on the UB and know how to claim disability if needed

Obvioously labour control 53/54 council seats so these people are truly fucked as Labour won't want to upset anyone.

When the free m,oney runs out Leicester is going to erupt in religious conflict.

I was in Spinney Hills a while back and saw some interesting 'intereactions' between pakistani/somali youths...........and thelocal  politicians are worried about white supremacy...clueless.

Great to hear local experience.

What annoys me the most, using current jargon, is that this is a majority BAME run council that has oversight of majority BAME owned businesses with majority BAME employees and it is choke full of exploitation, inequality and fraud. 

I would say that there is no white/european equivalent in the UK. Maybe travellers? but not to scale. Certainly not majority native British.

Will there be protests?

Will there be investigations with declarations of systematic racism or institutional abuse?

Us tax payer saps will pay the bill for this mess AGAIN

• Agree 2

sancho panza
35 minutes ago, reformed nice guy said:

Great to hear local experience.

What annoys me the most, using current jargon, is that this is a majority BAME run council that has oversight of majority BAME owned businesses with majority BAME employees and it is choke full of exploitation, inequality and fraud. 

I would say that there is no white/european equivalent in the UK. Maybe travellers? but not to scale. Certainly not majority native British.

Will there be protests?

Will there be investigations with declarations of systematic racism or institutional abuse?

Us tax payer saps will pay the bill for this mess AGAIN

The council is evenly split ehtnically in terms of councillors,but as ever with these left wing govts,the power lies in the hands of the white English people which is ironic given how they keep banging on about BAME empowerment.

The irony of the fact that so many more remain exploited because of left wing govt rahter than the 'racist parties' is totally lost on most people.

1 hour ago, sancho panza said:

Apparently its this thread crosser

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3403136/How-20-000-Indians-slipped-UK-Portuguese-passports-legally.html

haroldshand
7 hours ago, spunko said:

One thing to come out of this is the realisation that pretty much all these neo fashion brands are owned or started by the Muz.

Missguided, pretty little thing, boohoo, isawitfirst, Misspap, even Asos was founded by one. It makes you wonder how many are or were reliant on Leicester based exploitation. Without that I'm not sure their business model will be workable. 

I am as naive as many on this thread, a few years back I was seeing this wonderful lady who sadly had the scum drug dealing  gangster brother from hell who I suspected had a brilliant money laundering operation on the go as well in the Luton, Hitchin and Letchworth area. I never realised  what a huge low wage cash industry supported and topped up by welfare payments there was in the UK. Don't feel too sorry for many of those people you suspect are on £4 per hour, most of them are living better lives than those honestly earning £40,000 plus  per year

• Agree 7

Castlevania
On 08/07/2020 at 18:51, haroldshand said:

I am as naive as many on this thread, a few years back I was seeing this wonderful lady who sadly had the scum drug dealing  gangster brother from hell who I suspected had a brilliant money laundering operation on the go as well in the Luton, Hitchin and Letchworth area. I never realised  what a huge low wage cash industry supported and topped up by welfare payments there was in the UK. Don't feel too sorry for many of those people you suspect are on £4 per hour, most of them are living better lives than those honestly earning £40,000 plus  per year

There’s an interview in the Times today (which I can’t copy) with a chap running a clothes factory in Leicester who pays the minimum wage and actually puts the wages through the books. He mentions that most potential employees ask him how much tax they’ll pay and invariably turn down a job paying more than double when they realise they’re better off earning £4 an hour cash in hand. 

The state of this country.

• Agree 6

3 hours ago, Castlevania said:

The state of this country.

Every once in a while we get a confirmatory insight into what is going off in Sharia Britain. Events like "Rotherham" and "Leicester" hit the headlines as if it is a surprise before getting brushed under the carpet.

The fact is, quelle surprise, these hill tribes operate here exactly they do thousands of miles whence they came. I know, shocking.

• Agree 4

On 08/07/2020 at 10:12, spunko said:

It appears that most of these brands and their suppliers are owned by the same group of people with ownerships interlinked. So I imagine cartel rules apply?

"Understand and avoid all types of anti- competitive and cartel activity including price- fixing, collusion, bid-ridding and sharing markets."

3 hours ago, Castlevania said:

who pays the minimum wage and actually puts the wages through the books

Ignoring all other aspects of this thread, it's shocking to me that actually paying the legal minimum is seen as exceptional. Even in my own (thankfully much better paid) employment, my employer fails to make the legally required auto-enrolment minimum pension contribution.

Why bother with employment laws that are not enforced? In many cases, it would be relatively simple to check whether the law is being followed, so why do those who implement these laws not implement routine enforcement?

Wight Flight
18 hours ago, Formerly said:

Ignoring all other aspects of this thread, it's shocking to me that actually paying the legal minimum is seen as exceptional. Even in my own (thankfully much better paid) employment, my employer fails to make the legally required auto-enrolment minimum pension contribution.

Why bother with employment laws that are not enforced? In many cases, it would be relatively simple to check whether the law is being followed, so why do those who implement these laws not implement routine enforcement?

It is enforced, but only for some.

I missed the auto-enrollment deadline and got slapped with a £400 fine. Despite the fact that Mrs Flight is my only employee.

No idea how others get away with it.

• Agree 3

Frank Hovis
2 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

I missed the auto-enrollment deadline and got slapped with a £400 fine. Despite the fact that Mrs Flight is my only employee.

You need to black up.

• Agree 3
  • Lol 3

reformed nice guy
5 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

You should have sent them an angry letter saying that you wont pay it

in Urdu

• Lol 1

On 12/07/2020 at 12:59, SillyBilly said:

Every once in a while we get a confirmatory insight into what is going off in Sharia Britain. Events like "Rotherham" and "Leicester" hit the headlines as if it is a surprise before getting brushed under the carpet.

The fact is, quelle surprise, these hill tribes operate here exactly they do thousands of miles whence they came. I know, shocking.

Import the 3rd world, become the 3rd world. Who'd have guessed?

6 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

They get fined, but they:

1. Don't give a shit.

2. Use a thousand different spellings of Mohammed.

3. Know that the vast majority of court/hmrc fines are never collected.

4. Know that bailiffs are scared shitless about collecting in areas with lots of Mo's and would rather go after weak targets like little old white women.

• Agree 4

Was it expected that a major shareholder would bailout (edited removed today)?  This is all going to shit pretty rapidly. Have the social media lot picked it up yet?

Edited by Ash4781b

sancho panza
On 08/07/2020 at 14:34, spygirl said:

I know a local Ugandan Asian who runs a shop I use and he's always going on about how many Portugese passports were getting handed out via Goa.

It's still a small part of the problem though.These people will have access to decent benefits.