DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

UK health regulator BANS labs from processing Coronavirus home testing kits

I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but deserves a tread of its own...

UK health regulator BANS labs from processing Coronavirus home testing kits

Health authorities in the UK have banned laboratories from processing samples taken from Coronavirus antibody home testing kits sold by Superdrug and online pharmacies amid concerns over “unreliable results.”

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency has advised Britons to ignore the test results as they are not approved by the government. 

Source

On 29/05/2020 at 11:13, muggle said:

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency has advised Britons to ignore the test results as they are not approved by the government. 

Doesn’t Britons mean people from the tribal groups of the British isles prior to the Anglo-Saxon invasion? 

Arthur was king of the Britons. Elizabeth is queen of the British.

Is this convention changing?

On 29/05/2020 at 17:32, muggle said:

I'm not a a great conspiracy theorist, but his could be a perfect opportunity to harvest DNA data for the population.

😱

These "home tests" are just as useful as the DNA tests, dubious quality, marketed to the nervous, and credulous. No guarantee of quality at all. They shouldn't be sold.

7 minutes ago, MrPin said:

These "home tests" are just as useful as the DNA tests, dubious quality, marketed to the nervous, and credulous. No guarantee of quality at all. They shouldn't be sold.

Probably true.

At least this way anyone who paid for one will get their money back (service not received).  Seems fair if they really are snake-oil.

4 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Probably true.

At least this way anyone who paid for one will get their money back (service not received).  Seems fair if they really are snake-oil.

I'm tempted to try an experiment, with my sister. These DNA ancestry tests. Now, obviously I'm related to my sister, but if we both did these "tests" with assumed names, one of us would be an Aboriginal, and the other might be Japanese.

8 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I'm tempted to try an experiment, with my sister. These DNA ancestry tests. Now, obviously I'm related to my sister, but if we both did these "tests" with assumed names, one of us would be an Aboriginal, and the other might be Japanese.

It's been done. An identical set of triplets in the US all got widely varying results. 

Despite this being quite widely known, people continue to pay for this kind of shit.

11 minutes ago, MrPin said:

This could happen even if they were phenomenally accurate.

1 minute ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

It's been done. An identical set of triplets in the US all got widely varying results. 

Despite this being quite widely known, people continue to pay for this kind of shit.

Do you have a source for that? Triplets could easily have wildly divergent results, but identical triplets shouldn’t.

2 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I don't know why I suspected this to be the case.

Just now, Hail the Tripod said:

Do you have a source for that? Triplets could easily have wildly divergent results, but identical triplets shouldn’t.

Yes it would be correct to see the article first, before having an opinion on it.

2 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

I wanted to do a DNA test but people warn strongly against it.  It seems all the companies keep your data that is where they hope to make money.

Interesting take on it.

3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Interesting take on it.

Yeah I'm not sure if I mind massively but there are also all these untold consequences possibly later.

Not sure iirc whether it's the US or the UK but precedents I think already set where if you get certain results back some insurance companies already ask if you had a test say for indicators of dementia.  Obviously you can lie but that doesn't always work out great with insurance companies.

1 minute ago, Dogtania said:

Yeah I'm not sure if I mind massively but there are also all these untold consequences possibly later.

Not sure iirc whether it's the US or the UK but precedents I think already set where if you get certain results back some insurance companies already ask if you had a test say for indicators of dementia.  Obviously you can lie but that doesn't always work out great with insurance companies.

Obviously with dementia, you probably don't know you are lying.

Well, to me the gold standard would be anonymous testing (no records held nobody knew who you were). Obviously your data is not helping everyone else but if you could be one of the few to slip through unmolested then perfect.

I'm sure there are lots of things that could be good to know although not everything .. Bit Pandora box IMO.

At least you'll reduce your chances slightly of bumping into your clone in a few years.

1 hour ago, Hail the Tripod said:

It wasn't this source I read  I don't think, but this magazine seems to have made a reasonable (by  modern journos low standards) attempt at addressing the issues.

https://www.healthyway.com/content/these-identical-triplets-were-shocked-to-learn-that-their-dna-didnt-match/

Posted (edited)
On 29/05/2020 at 11:13, muggle said:

I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but deserves a tread of its own...

Source

This is how the MHRA works, it's not a political decision. Just as medicines need to be approved by the regulator based on data showing safety and efficacy before they can be sold, clinical tests also require approval based on data demonstrating that the tests are accurate. If the suppliers of these tests can demonstrate to the regulator that they actually work then they will be approved for sale.

Edited by Darude
4 hours ago, Darude said:

This is how the MHRA works, it's not a political decision. Just as medicines need to be approved by the regulator based on data showing safety and efficacy before they can be sold, clinical tests also require approval based on data demonstrating that the tests are accurate. If the suppliers of these tests can demonstrate to the regulator that they actually work then they will be approved for sale.

correct, so if the tests resume, you can be confident that they comply with regulations.

https://medichecks.com/pages/coronavirus-antibody-blood-test-information