DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Assuming the EU manages to carry on without imploding, I don't think we're likely to see any other countries leave it until they've seen if the UK can make a success of it.

Remember that the UK is different to continental countries in that:

a. it has a tradition of governance from the people upwards (common law) not the state downwards (Napoleonic Code);

b. it maintains good relations with its former imperial possessions, one of which (USA) is the most powerful country on earth.

c. with the exception of NI, it has no major land border with any other country, forming a natural border with other states.

No other EU country can boast all those things, meaning they are all less likely to want to leave the EU.

4 hours ago, Long time lurking said:

Love how the market odds class it as a 'win'xD  Don't leave the dire project and you're in with the losers.

21 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

@Long time lurking did you coin "Quitaly" or is it something you've read / heard?

If that's your original than ten out of ten.

I like that term too.  I remember the Ities disastrous World Cup in 2010, I termed them Shitaly.

2 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I reckon they’ll be prepared to print the Euro to oblivion to save Italy. Even the Germans and the Dutch will bend, the oldies who lived in or heard the tales of the Weimar Republic are fewer and fewer.

Right after Brexit, they ‘d probably do anything to avoid another major country leaving. 

What about the rest of the broke EU nations?  Greece, Spain, the newer EE countries, france....  well everyone apart from Germany.  And I’m not even sure about them. xD

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

What about the rest of the broke EU nations?  Greece, Spain, the newer EE countries, france....  well everyone apart from Germany.  And I’m not even sure about them. xD

They’re broke, but not many are as broke as the U.K.is going to be once the Covid lockdowns and Brexit is paid for. It’ll be like Italy and Greece with unpayable national debt

4 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

Remember that the UK [...]  has a tradition of governance from the people upwards 
HAHAHA brilliantly funny you should have put this on the Make us laugh thread. As a member of "the people" I can confirm I have never seen any sniff of upward governance, only tyranny

it maintains good relations with [...] (USA) 
Another classic! We got caught trying to manufacture the mechanism of a coup against the elected USA president, who will be only to pleased to exact revenge at leisure

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

@Long time lurking did you coin "Quitaly" or is it something you've read / heard?

If that's your original than ten out of ten.

Last time round I seem to remember that "Italeave" was the front runner

9 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

They’re broke, but not many are as broke as the U.K.is going to be once the Covid lockdowns and Brexit is paid for. It’ll be like Italy and Greece with unpayable national debt

Just like the 70s then. o.O  rolling power cuts and dead bodies piling up. 

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I reckon they’ll be prepared to print the Euro to oblivion to save Italy. Even the Germans and the Dutch will bend, the oldies who lived in or heard the tales of the Weimar Republic are fewer and fewer.

Right after Brexit, they ‘d probably do anything to avoid another major country leaving. 

The Germans have passed laws to stop that ,Italy are threatening to sell their own bonds which by all accounts would leave the EU no choice to be the buyer of last resort , i think the Germans have put a stop to that happening regarding the EU as they would be the ones paying for them  ,Italy are refusing to take loans from the EU they want grants ,so get the fuck out looks like the only option for Italy

It`s going to get interesting at some point soon 

Edited by Long time lurking
Posted (edited)

Kitchen sink will be thrown at any other country to stay in. Agree with Austin, while the U.K leaving was painful for their vision of world domination, if truth be told I think deep down the Eurocrats knew we'd never be a truly happy camper. And us leaving allows them to crack on with federalisation by the back door as nobody else sizeable enough to stand up to them. I can't see Italy leaving as they seem so broken by the last 20 years it seems it might be best for them to push for debt mutualisation and to have Germany shoulder the burdens of their debts in the end. In short, looks to me like they've lost all confidence of being able to pull themselves out the mire independently. Fortunately some of us here still had that confidence.

Edited by SillyBilly
8 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Kitchen sink will be thrown at any other country to stay in. Agree with Austin, while the U.K leaving was painful for their vision of world domination, if truth be told I think deep down the Eurocrats knew we'd never be a truly happy camper. And us leaving allows them to crack on with federalisation by the back door as nobody else sizeable enough to stand up to them. I can't see Italy leaving as they seem so broken by the last 20 years it seems it might be best for them to push for debt mutualisation and to have Germany shoulder the burdens of their debts in the end. In short, looks to me like they've lost all confidence of being able to pull themselves out the mire independently. Fortunately some of us here still had that confidence.

Italy is the spanner in the works it`s to big to fail and they wont be another Greece ,the EU bails them out no strings attached or they leave that is their stance 

The Germans won`t have it though as it will be them that`s paying 

This is going to be one hell of a game of who blinks first  

17 hours ago, Long time lurking said:

Italy is the spanner in the works it`s to big to fail and they wont be another Greece ,the EU bails them out no strings attached or they leave that is their stance 

The Germans won`t have it though as it will be them that`s paying 

This is going to be one hell of a game of who blinks first  

Those aren't the only two options, the Italian government could stay in the euro and just start defaulting if it can't afford to service its debts. It only had a 1.6% of GDP deficit last year so it can afford to fund public spending out of current tax revenues.

6 minutes ago, Darude said:

Those aren't the only two options, the Italian government could stay in the euro and just start defaulting if it can't afford to service its debts. It only had a 1.6% of GDP deficit last year so it can afford to fund public spending out of current tax revenues.

I doubted that figure of 1.6%, but from what I can find via a quick search, it appears to be correct, at least officially.

How on earth did they manage that ("manage" can be taken as you choose...)?