DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Actually, I don't want to know. But do you know?

My bank decided to put a hold on my debit card last night. So I had to phone them up to get the block lifted. I was doing really well on the security questions - 3rd and 5th number of password, special place etc and then they threw a curve ball. How old will you be next birthday?

Now clearly I know when I was born, and what year it is now, so I could work out how old I am.

But it occurred to me that I should know instinctively how old I am. But I didn't. Obviously I know roughly, but not to the exact year.

Is that odd?

Posted (edited)

I gained a year once in my mind,

So I was then 48 for two years running. That felt like a bonus.

My Father's birthday present to me was always my age in £s

Not only did it not keep pace with inflation but he also forgot my age so I was £2 short from the age of 42. That didn't feel like a bonus.

Edited by Hopeful
1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

My bank decided to put a hold on my debit card last night. So I had to phone them up to get the block lifted. I was doing really well on the security questions - 3rd and 5th number of password, special place etc and then they threw a curve ball. How old will you be next birthday?

Now clearly I know when I was born, and what year it is now, so I could work out how old I am.

But it occurred to me that I should know instinctively how old I am. But I didn't. Obviously I know roughly, but not to the exact year.

Is that odd?

Same here. I reckon that at some point in a moderately long life, the precise number of years becomes less relevant, less of a defining factor of who you are.

"How old will you be at your next birthday" was probably designed as a security question by a younger person.

Younger than me, at any rate :D

7 hours ago, Hopeful said:

I gained a year once in my mind,

So I was then 48 for two years running. That felt like a bonus.

I did exactly the same this year. Not sure it seems like a bonus to me though, I'm getting bored of being the same age for so long and I'm ready to move on. Or backwards. Backwards would be good.

8 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Is that odd?

When you start to get less birthday cards than years it's time to stop counting.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Is that odd?

No. I have had to work it out from my date of birth every time since my later 20s. Doesn’t stick in the forefront of my memory unless I have recently had a stack of forms to fill in.

Edited by Hail the Tripod
2 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be.

Older than I used to be

Younger than I'm goin' to be

I know now but that's more related to when I can access my SIPP than something I generally monitor.  In my 30s and 40s I probably was working it out rather than knowing it.