• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spunko

Things that bother other people but don't bother you

I have a few of these. :CryBaby:

-

My first one is charity director's pay.

I never understood why many people get so hung up on the Managing Director of some charity who earns £140k a year.  Firstly, if the charity decided to pay him an "average but decent" wage - say £50,000 - frankly this wouldn't make a jot of difference. The RSCPA takes in £143m a year, distributing an additional £90k on top of that is about 0.05%. It's fuck all.

Secondly, a lot of them are paid for performance. Again using the RSPCA example, Google says they have increased donations by 27% in 3 years or something. That has generated way, way more for them than they pay their managing director. Therefore you could argue he's worth every penny.  If you found someone willing to be paid "only" £50k, they'd likely be shit.

Feel free to add your own...

People who ignore lockdown rules and those that take the piss on Facebook about those going mad about it they drive some people nuts .even I’m geting bored of calling ranting women Karen 

Spectator sport other than men's football.

All of it. Rugby, cricket, Olympics, Tour de France, Grand Prix and women's football.

I have no more interest in any of them than in the results of a sports' day of a school of which I have never heard.

Posted (edited)

Occasionally IT contracts in my field come up for charities and I'd be charging them the same as anyone else in the event I took one on (which I havn't yet).

Edited by goldbug9999

50 minutes ago, spunko said:

-

I never understood why many people get so hung up on the Managing Director of some charity who earns £140k a year.  Firstly, if the charity decided to pay him an "average but decent" wage - say £50,000 - frankly this wouldn't make a jot of difference. The RSCPA takes in £143m a year, distributing an additional £90k on top of that is about 0.05%. It's fuck all.

Secondly, a lot of them are paid for performance. Again using the RSPCA example, Google says they have increased donations by 27% in 3 years or something. That has generated way, way more for them than they pay their managing director. Therefore you could argue he's worth every penny.  If you found someone willing to be paid "only" £50k, they'd likely be shit.

Rapin:D

Similar to the op, but peole using the prime minister's wage as some sort of top level.

I actually think getting c140k for running the country is too low. And yes I know they will get other benefits when they finish and they don't have a mortgage etc.

No doubt I work with some people who would be on this wage that aren't running anything and they're knobs.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

-

try this: http://www.charitychecker.net/search/

1 hour ago, spunko said:

I can sympathise with making a fuss about this, as it could be a barometer of waste or inappropriate spending in the organization in general. I think @Bkkandrew has said that the biggest spenders when it comes to corporate jollies are the charity "co's"? £140k for one salary is peanuts, but if waste is widespread in the organisation then that can take a big bite out of resources that could be used for the avowed purposes of the charity.

I guess there is also a general assumption (untrue in practice) that a charity shouldn't be run as a fund-raising business, but should be staffed by idealists who care about the cause. My impression is that the big ones benefit both ways: the low-ranking workers give their time for peanuts, and the senior managers get the pay and benefits of an organisation that has nailed its labour costs to the floor.

Obviously, charities have revenue streams, and have to be organised in some way, so it makes sense that they should be run on conventional business principles. However, very large ratios between senior and junior pay potentially smell fishy (or exploitative), and feeling moral queasiness about that might be reasonable if you were donating.

Anyway, having said all that, I have an unvirtuous circle in this regard: I'm not bothered by high CEO pay in charities because I no longer donate to them, and I no longer donate partly because of high CEO pay. Ditto for the so-called: since I haven't paid the license fee in 17 years, I don't care how much Gary Lineker gets paid. 

15 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

Occasionally IT contracts in my field come up for charities and I'd be charging them the same as anyone else in the event I took one on (which I havn't yet).

I charge large charities more becuase, like the public sector, i) they are awahs and ii) have no sense of value because they are given their money.

42 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I charge large charities more becuase, like the public sector, i) they are awahs and ii) have no sense of value because they are given their money.

What's a "large" charity?

Immigrants. I switch off as soon as someone starts about them taking our jobs and swamping our culture. Especially boring when it's coming out of the mouth of someone completely lacking in "our" or for that matter "any" culture.

21 hours ago, JohnThePessimist said:

Racism. I’m not particularly racist, but I understand when people are suspicious of ‘others’ and particularly when older people are nostalgic for simpler times. An intolerance of the intolerant is the fundamental flaw of SJW fuckwittery.

Same. If people want to be racist that's fine with me and I do not care.