DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-finance/chinese-cheating-rampant-us-college-applications-and-classrooms

OK, it's Zerohedge, so has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but I've seen stuff that makes me think it's not far off. A random example was a Chinese new graduate hire I inherited at a previous employer. He had an apparently good degree from the University of Toronto, which is not scumbag poly but he was a complete retard. He could barely speak English, knew nothing about his subject and was a lazy-arsed bastard to boot. I fired him very quickly but I did wonder how he'd ever got his degree. When I started asking people who'd also been to UofT about it, they told me that for the less competitive subjects (anything not law or medicine basically) most courses were taught in cohorts of 500+ so it was entirely possible to send a stand-in to exams and not get caught. I'm pretty sure this guy was a fraud all the way through and quite possibly never attended university beyond signing up for his student union card or whatever they have here at the start of each year.

19 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-finance/chinese-cheating-rampant-us-college-applications-and-classrooms

OK, it's Zerohedge, so has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but I've seen stuff that makes me think it's not far off. A random example was a Chinese new graduate hire I inherited at a previous employer. He had an apparently good degree from the University of Toronto, which is not scumbag poly but he was a complete retard. He could barely speak English, knew nothing about his subject and was a lazy-arsed bastard to boot. I fired him very quickly but I did wonder how he'd ever got his degree. When I started asking people who'd also been to UofT about it, they told me that for the less competitive subjects (anything not law or medicine basically) most courses were taught in cohorts of 500+ so it was entirely possible to send a stand-in to exams and not get caught. I'm pretty sure this guy was a fraud all the way through and quite possibly never attended university beyond signing up for his student union card or whatever they have here at the start of each year.

We had a a Chinese guy who sent someone else to do his exams when I was at Uni.

25 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

In England, the fee over over 9k a year (more for overseas students) means that both the student and the powers that be in universities, see this fee as buying the qualification, not the experience. Ergo, everyone passes. 

6 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

How did that work? When I did my university exams, they were all in relative small groups and invigilated by the lecturers who would have spotted a stand-in from a mile off.

2 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

A random example was a Chinese new graduate hire I inherited at a previous employer. He had an apparently good degree from the University of Toronto, which is not scumbag poly but he was a complete retard. He could barely speak English, knew nothing about his subject and was a lazy-arsed bastard to boot.

And you hired him?o.O

2 hours ago, Dave Bloke said:

Bastards!

How come I never heard of such clever life hacks when I was studying for my degree?

I know, one of you pedants will be round soon to tell me it's not a 'clever life hack' it's fraud.....

...just adding @The XYY Man to this message because I know how much he loves reading posts that say "when I was studying for my degree..."

1 minute ago, unregistered_guest said:

Bastards!

How come I never heard of such clever life hacks when I was studying for my degree?

I know, one of you pedants will be round soon to tell me it's not a 'clever life hack' it's fraud.....

...just adding @The XYY Man to this message because I know how much he loves reading posts that say "when I was studying for my degree..."

:)

It's actually "When I was at Uni..." I despise the most, but you're close enough.

And if I examine your version - "When I was studying for my degree..." - to me that translates as "When I was learning to quote the wisdom of others, and all the standard texts off by heart without showing any intelligence myself, I also got pissed a lot"...!

Learning shit off parrot fashion does not a clever cunt make...

XYY

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, deathfunk said:

Presumably there was only one in the exam. Because otherwise...

That's true :-)

The person was sitting to the right and a couple of rows up from me. An invigilator came and pointed to him and two man tapped him on the shoulder and he left with them. After the exam I asked someone about it and they said he'd been taking  the exam for Hang or Fong or someone and had been shopped. It was in the local paper later. There were about 6 chinese in our year of 100 students and I had no idea who they were. There were several hundred in the exam room doing different papers.

Edited by Dave Bloke
Just now, Dave Bloke said:

That's true :-)

The person was sitting to the right and a couple of rows up from me. An invigilator came and pointed to him and two man tapped him on the shoulder and he left with them. After the exam I asked someone about it and they said he'd been taking  the exam for Hang or Fong or someone and had been shopped. It was in the local paper later. There were about 6 chinese in our year of 100 students and I had no idea who they were.

To them, we all look like Ben Affleck and smell of butter.

1 minute ago, deathfunk said:

To them, we all look like Ben Affleck and smell of butter.

The rumour was he was dobbed in it by another Chinese student and it was his cousin who was sitting the exam and the cousin was already qualified.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

How did that work? When I did my university exams, they were all in relative small groups and invigilated by the lecturers who would have spotted a stand-in from a mile off.

I've invigilated at an institution in which you've studied. IDs have to be out on the desk (so the comments of "they all look the same" are somewhat valid). 

There were strict rules in place for toilet sojourns. 

Most amusing anecdote we were told about was someone writing notes on the inside of a drink label. As the exam goes on, they become able to read the notes. 

I've said previously that one of the guys doing a PhD was essentially being walked through it as his sponsor was effectively the Chinese government, who were investing so much in equipment that it would have been rude not to give him his piece of paper. 

Edited by The Generation Game
12 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

I've invigilated at an institution in which you've studied. IDs have to be out on the desk (so the comments of "they all look the same" are somewhat valid). 

There were strict rules in place for toilet sojourns. 

Most amusing anecdote we were told about was someone writing notes on the inside of a drink label. As the exam goes on, they become able to read the notes. 

I've said previously that one of the guys doing a PhD was essentially being walked through it as his sponsor was effectively the Chinese government, who were investing so much in equipment that it would have been rude not to give him his piece of paper. 

PhDs I get, much harder to spot if the supervisor isn’t very engaged. For my finals at undergrad, there were no more than twenty of us in the room, we all knew each other and the lecturers invigilating knew us all by name. It would have been super fucking odd if some random stranger had turned up even if he did look a bit like one of us! That being said, some of the earlier year classes were a lot larger so maybe it could have happened there.

I rather suspect had I been awarded the marks I earned rather than those I was awarded I would have failed my degree. To be fair my coursework marks were high, but tried too hard and burned out for second year exams and DGAF by the time finals rolled around. It was just as tuition fees began to be introduced and pass everyone became policy. We had to carry a Greek chap who I don't think could speak a word of English as a member of a coursework and debate team for two years (law). I expect he passed too xD