• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spunko

Is it salmonella?

Sorry for the details but wondering if anyone has had this. Google is of no use. Apologies if it seems self indulgent. I've been gassy all day which is rare. Tonight I didn't eat much as I felt incredibly bloated. Then at about 9pm I couldn't move, as if I did it created awful pains in my lower gut area in the middle below belly button, literally had to crawl to the bathroom and was shivering uncontrollably for about 15 mins despite the room bring 23C. Stomach pain lasted for 4 hours and in desperation I tried Nhs Direct - waste of time to cut a long and predictable story short. 

Now it's fading, I haven't vomited despite my best efforts. Didn't really feel the urge to. I've had food poisoning before and i didn't get the rumbling / spasming feeling in my stomach. Muscles ache and got cramp and the mother of all headaches. Can anyone help? I always like to know what caused it if possible. 

inb4 manflu.

What have you eaten and drunk in the past 24 hours?

It does sound like some kind of food posioning bug. It could also be IBS which, although people speak glibly about it, can cause the symptoms you mention and can be absolute agony.  Again, what have you eaten and drunk?

Used any cutlery, cups, plates that may have been contaminated? Bought food from a cafe, sarnie bar, had a coffee somewhere?

Have you had a look at your stools? Are they like small pellets - rabbit droppings?

My guess would be food poisoning of some description.

I had similar symptoms (though not as bad) recently which I attributed to a yellow stickered black bean wrap I bought in Tesco. It looked a bit worse for wear, and had probably been left out of the fridge for a bit.

I took ibuprofen, which seemed to help, on the basis that it might be gastroenteritis, and anything with the suffix itis is a description of swelling.

I'm no doctor, but from your described symptoms, an alien is about to burst out of your chest.

Try wearing white clothes for maximum impact.

In all seriousness, sounds like Dr TMT has called it. Flat full fat coke was my go-to during the dysentery season

33 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

It does sound like some kind of food posioning bug. It could also be IBS which, although people speak glibly about it, can cause the symptoms you mention and can be absolute agony.  Again, what have you eaten and drunk?

Used any cutlery, cups, plates that may have been contaminated? Bought food from a cafe, sarnie bar, had a coffee somewhere?

Have you had a look at your stools? Are they like small pellets - rabbit droppings?

No they are long and sticky and absolutely stink. Sorry to be graphic. 

I've had a mozzarella wrap for lunch from the supermarket but I'm inclined to blame the beetroot I had from the garden yesterday - clearly didn't wash it as well as I thought as I was crunching on a lot of grit. It's been growing in the cheapo council compost....

3 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

No they are long and sticky and absolutely stink. Sorry to be graphic. 

I've had a mozzarella wrap for lunch from the supermarket but I'm inclined to blame the beetroot I had from the garden yesterday - clearly didn't wash it as well as I thought as I was crunching on a lot of grit. It's been growing in the cheapo council compost....

Sticky and stinking can be a sign of coeliac or some kind of gluten intolerance.

The beetroot, if the compost was dodgy, would not have been helped by washing. But the wrap could equally be responsible.

3 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Sorry for the details but wondering if anyone has had this. Google is of no use. Apologies if it seems self indulgent. I've been gassy all day which is rare. Tonight I didn't eat much as I felt incredibly bloated. Then at about 9pm I couldn't move, as if I did it created awful pains in my lower gut area in the middle below belly button, literally had to crawl to the bathroom and was shivering uncontrollably for about 15 mins despite the room bring 23C. Stomach pain lasted for 4 hours and in desperation I tried Nhs Direct - waste of time to cut a long and predictable story short. 

Now it's fading, I haven't vomited despite my best efforts. Didn't really feel the urge to. I've had food poisoning before and i didn't get the rumbling / spasming feeling in my stomach. Muscles ache and got cramp and the mother of all headaches. Can anyone help? I always like to know what caused it if possible. 

inb4 manflu.

Have you eaten an egg sandwich ?

All cases of food poisoning I've had the body has usually wanted rid of everything by the bottom and sometimes top end as well.

If it wasn't for the headache I would have to give another vote to IBS or a similar digestive issue. I did use to get very painful trapped wind/cramps before I ditched wheat.

My few experiences of food poisoning all include expulsions from both ends - uncontrollably. 

No spewing sounds unlike food poisoning to me ? I ain't no doctor though. :Old:

I've had IBS attacks like that, on one occasion my husband and I thought I was having one of those surprise babies you hear about. You'll want to take a good probiotic whether it's food poisoning or IBS. I'd also write down everything you can remember eating in the last 48 hours. If it happens again soon you'll probably want to keep a complete food diary to try to figure out the culprit(s) - mine was mostly wheat and beans but I can get away with eating them occasionally now.

If you do suspect wheat then try to get your doctor to do a coeliac test before you cut it out.

Edited by This Time

38 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

When I had Salmonella the shits and puking and paralysing pain lasted 6 days. There was at least another week of non-solid shits after that. I also picked up food poisoning at the drop of a hat for a good 5 years afterwards.

I had a similar experience. Didn't pick up the food poisoning but did used to get a bad stomach all the time for a good few years afterwards.  I also had the misfortune of getting reactive arthritis which I'd never heard of until I got it.

9 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

I had a similar experience. Didn't pick up the food poisoning but did used to get a bad stomach all the time for a good few years afterwards.  I also had the misfortune of getting reactive arthritis which I'd never heard of until I got it.

That's pretty much what I meant, I think.

8 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

This.

If you've had a plate of jeruslaem artichoke chips then that'll have done it. It's very painful

Spunko has not been online for 8 hours so he clearly is dead. Our attempts at advising a wrap-free beetroot diet seemingly have gone in vain.

I suspect the wrap or the beetroot was targetted by persons unknown in order to destroy the line of thought on this site. We all need to look over our shoulders today and think twice about what we are eating.

Woke up refreshed at 10.30 and took the morning off. Apart from being tired and food tasting of nothing I feel as right as rain now - how weird.

I've had IBS-C type flare ups for the past 5 years (I know what you mean about rabbit droppings, TMT!), they are infrequent now and mainly brought on by stress and absolutely nothing like this. I have to go with viral gastroenteritis: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/viral-gastroenteritis/basics/definition/con-20019350

4 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Woke up refreshed at 10.30 and took the morning off. Apart from being tired and food tasting of nothing I feel as right as rain now - how weird.

I've had IBS-C type flare ups for the past 5 years (I know what you mean about rabbit droppings, TMT!), they are infrequent now and mainly brought on by stress and absolutely nothing like this. I have to go with viral gastroenteritis: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/viral-gastroenteritis/basics/definition/con-20019350

Glad you are feeling better. Can we now talk about my fall over a kerb yesterday and taking a chunk of skin off my left thumb and palm?

Re the IBS - trying to destress and taking magnesium helped me.

I'm back with another ailment! Wondering if the dosbods massive can kindly diagnose me again given that my GP is fully booked for another fortnight due possibly to the gimmegrants! 

Anyway. It started as a tiny scab that appeared about half the size of a 5p on my hand last week. Don't remember grazing it or anything but was a bit itchy. A few days later its swelled up to the size of a 50p and hurt like a bastard. See photo, was full of pus and is now spreading down my hand after popping. There seems to be a new area forming. Have looked online and nearest thing i can find is impetigo. Anyone know? 

IMG-20170815-WA0004.jpeg