DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Pick a degree, any degree,

Just for a bit of fun first thing on a (checks calendar) Monday morning.
What's the silliest degree you can find at a UK university?

Here's some contenders:

https://www.bradford.ac.uk/courses/pg/innovation-enterprise-and-circular-economy/
Innovation, Enterprise and Circular Economy

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/sportex/app-golf-mgt-studies.aspx
Applied Golf Management Studies BSc (Hons)

Brum uni have a campus away from Brum. 
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/dubai/study/courses/undergraduate/money-banking-finance.aspx

BSc Money, Banking and Finance 
Campus
Dubai

20 years ago there was a spoof website called University Of Bums On Seats. The whole site was set up like a Uni site would, but with digs. And of course you could choose from a variety of useless degree titles and print off your certificate....

Oh! Its' still going! I thought it might be regarded as too close to the bone in these snowflaky times. Fabulous:

http://cynicalbastards.com/ubs/ 

3 minutes ago, Melchett said:

20 years ago there was a spoof website called University Of Bums On Seats. The whole site was set up like a Uni site would, but with digs. And of course you could choose from a variety of useless degree titles and print off your certificate....

Oh! Its' still going! I thought it might be regarded as too close to the bone in these snowflaky times. Fabulous:

That's excellent.
Arse-elbow differentiation BSc! 

Keeping it local this one from the former Falmouth Arts College seems remarkably niche.

General fashion and design degrees have a long history of churning out decent graduates for the fashion industry by equipping them with a wide range of skills.

This is specifically design for film and TV and also post 1945 so no Regency or Victorian clobber.

It seems to have taken a perfectly good and practical degree - fashion and design - and made it so narrow as to be far inferior to that degree.

You will note that it is new for 2020.  Good luck with that one.

Costume Design for Film & Television BA(Hons)

Introduction

This course is new for entry year 2020.

You'll prepare for a career in contemporary costume design (from 1945-present, and beyond) through interdisciplinary learning across our Fashion & Textiles Institute and School of Film & Television. You'll be supported by professionals working at the forefront of the industry to develop your own distinctive design voice and portfolio.

https://www.falmouth.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/costume-design-film-tv

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Keeping it local this one from the former Falmouth Arts College seems remarkably niche.

General fashion and design degrees have a long history of churning out decent graduates for the fashion industry by equipping them with a wide range of skills.

This is specifically design for film and TV and also post 1945 so no Regency or Victorian clobber.

It seems to have taken a perfectly good and practical degree - fashion and design - and made it so narrow as to be far inferior to that degree.

I suspect that is one where the demand currently exists for at least the first couple of years of graduates - There is another similar course elsewhere (a work colleagues daughter was on it) where the graduates usually have summer and graduate jobs lined up before the end of the first year..

The move to 4k has forced production values to improve far beyond the requirements of even 2010 so there is currently a great demand for custom designers and makers 

Now most of the time I would be cynical about such a course but there are always exceptions and that one (alongside the film music composition course my daughter is off to do) is niche and practical enough that you should get work from it.

Edited by eek
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Nothing like cutting yourself out of a market

Still, I suppose the same could be said about my Zoology degree xD

Edited by Hopeful
8 minutes ago, eek said:

I suspect that is one where the demand currently exists for at least the first couple of years of graduates - There is another similar course elsewhere (a work colleagues daughter was on it) where the graduates usually have summer and graduate jobs lined up before the end of the first year..

The move to 4k has forced production values to improve far beyond the requirements of even 2010 so there is currently a great demand for custom designers and makers 

Now most of the time I would be cynical about such a course but there are always exceptions and that one (alongside the film music composition course my daughter is off to do) is niche and practical enough that you should get work from it.

I've just had to look up 4k as I hadn't heard of it.

Can you tell that I don't have a telly?

4K resolution refers to a horizontal display resolution of approximately 4,000 pixels.[1] Digital television and digital cinematography commonly use several different 4K resolutions. In television and consumer media, 3840 × 2160 (4K UHD) is the dominant 4K standard, whereas the movie projection industry uses 4096 × 2160 (DCI 4K).

The 4K television market share increased as prices fell dramatically during 2014[2] and 2015. By 2020, more than half of U.S. households are expected to have 4K-capable TVs,[3] a much faster adoption rate than that of Full HD (1080p).[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Melchett said:

Look! They do a degree in hairdressing. xD  

Link didn’t work 

btw, i cut my own this weekend. Did a better job than the local hairdressers do. o.O

Edited by One percent
Forgot the link
1 minute ago, One percent said:

Look! They do a degree in hairdressing. xD  

btw, i cut my own this weekend. Did a better job than the local hairdressers do. o.O

Maybe worth considering going into it!

Not Onesies' Salon but from home or mobile.

The woman who has cut and styled my mother's hair for the last forty years will only cut women's hair if they are recommended to her and she has never advertised.  She enjoys it, these woman are her frieds sge has known for years and with whom she has a good chat.

It gives her some spending money but really she likes doing it; her husband inherited so much money that neither of them ever needed to work and he used to run a small car park for something to do.

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Maybe worth considering going into it!

Not Onesies' Salon but from home or mobile.

The woman who has cut and styled my mother's hair for the last forty years will only cut women's hair if they are recommended to her and she has never advertised.  She enjoys it, these woman are her frieds sge has known for years and with whom she has a good chat.

It gives her some spending money but really she likes doing it; her husband inherited so much money that neither of them ever needed to work and he used to run a small car park for something to do.

I do a couple of people but don’t have the patience for it anymore. Mainly family and friends these days 

2 hours ago, eek said:

I just picked up an MBA in Business Management Strategy Co-ordinating - which I suspect I could get a job with without an issue.

And it's about as much use as a real MBA would be.

I wonder how often one of those certificates gets past 'Debbie' in personnel (or HR as its now called) 

1 minute ago, unregistered_guest said:

Careful with that one.

I heard on the grapevine that a load of "Computer Games Design" courses are basically Media Studies, with a module on the history of computer games tacked on to make it 'relevant'. No actual coding involved at all...

My knowledge of computer games is restricted to Solitaire and Sudoku.

A course on those would take 20 minutes tops.

Oh and cost £6000 at a middling university.

8 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

Careful with that one.

I heard on the grapevine that a load of "Computer Games Design" courses are basically Media Studies, with a module on the history of computer games tacked on to make it 'relevant'. No actual coding involved at all...

Is it a whap the zombies course?

Here's one from me:

I'm in two minds about it:

https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/undergraduate/digital-and-social-media-marketing-ba-hons

I know a few Dosbodders make at least part of their livelihood from doing SEO properly and that will include dealing with social media.

But I do wonder how many kids will sign up thinking it's a 'sit on your fat arse all day looking at Facebook' course?

At the same time I have two misgivings about the course:

1) Content. You can learn the basics of SEO in a few hours (lots of inbound links from quality sites = 'good'; spammy link farms = 'bad'; that will be $997 thank you) but the nature of the beast is that it's in a constant state of flux. What you are taught in Term 1, might not be relevant (or worse) in Term 3.

2) Certification: as part of the course, the student sits external tests administered by another organisation. What does that say about the quality of the piece of paper awarded by the university?

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I thought this would be more fitting for your part of the world 

https://www.cornwall.ac.uk/cornwallcollege/sports-fitness/fdsc-surf-science-technology-2-2-2

During the programme you will study: the sport of surfing as well as surfing businesses; business planning relating to the surfing industry; event management; environmental science; human exercise science; principles of psychology and coaching; design and manufacture of surf boards; the environment and human impacts on it; the development of surfing culture and history; sport-related media and politics; the geographical and climatic influences on surfing.

The programme is based at our main Cornwall College Newquay campus and at our premises on Tolcarne Beach in Newquay.

Edited by Long time lurking
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, unregistered_guest said:

Here's one from me:

https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/undergraduate/digital-and-social-media-marketing-ba-hons

I know a few Dosbodders make at least part of their livelihood from doing SEO properly and that will include dealing with social media.

But I do wonder how many kids will sign up thinking it's a 'sit on your fat arse all day looking at Facebook' course?

1) Content. You can learn the basics of SEO in a few hours (lots of inbound links from quality sites = 'good'; spammy link farms = 'bad'; that will be $997 thank you) but the nature of the beast is that it's in a constant state of flux. What you are taught in Term 1, might not be relevant (or worse) in Term 3.

2) Certification: as part of the course, the student sits external tests administered by another organisation. What does that say about the quality of the piece of paper awarded by the university?

My Phd thesis:

Click for BOOOBSS!!!!!!

Entry requirements

A Level - BBB

Edited by spygirl
15 hours ago, unregistered_guest said:

Here's one from me:

I'm wondering when people will wake up and ditch these types of course. Google have a free digital garage where you can learn this stuff. Udemy tends to focus on hard skills. 

I interviewed students and PhDs for a machine learning placement. Main thing for me is that they can code well. A Maths undergrad said that they cut the hours they did coding as there were complaints from the students. Surely the Maths grads need this skill as they enter the job market. How long before people realise these courses aren't going to help them long term.