DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Anyone been trying to get a tax rebate paid this year?

I am owed  £1650. Since February I have applied 4 times to get this paid to me and nothing happens - its still sitting there. I assume someone at HMRC needs to hit the approve button thats assuming they know how to switch a PC on) 

Anyone in a similar situation? 

Filled in my tax return 6 April; full income tax rebate arrived a week to ten days later.

My return would have been entirely consistent with the previous three years' returns so may have been automatically approved.  I doubt they manually look at them all.

Posted (edited)

I received a cheque in March for £6 (I know it's not much but it was the principle and I also needed my tax code changing for this year) but I had applied for it long before Christmas.  They take bloody ages to do anything, I imagine that Covid-19 isn't speeding up the process any.  I contacted them online through the government gateway but I also had to send them a written letter by recorded delivery - cost me nearly as much as the rebate.

Edit; for clarity I had not filled in a tax return, my employer had put the wrong information on my p11d.

Edited by ILikeCake
7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Filled in my tax return 6 April; full income tax rebate arrived a week to ten days later.

My return would have been entirely consistent with the previous three years' returns so may have been automatically approved.  I doubt they manually look at them all.

Mine wasn't significantly different . A bit more paid into the SIPP that previous years (9K rather than 3K)

There was another option to just leave it for your next SA return. I assume by this they mean your tax code for this year will be adjusted to pay back the monies owed? 

Just now, Kurt Barlow said:

Mine wasn't significantly different . A bit more paid into the SIPP that previous years (9K rather than 3K)

There was another option to just leave it for your next SA return. I assume by this they mean your tax code for this year will be adjusted to pay back the monies owed? 

It's probably all been slowed down by their working at home like most companies. 

Tbh I thought this would likely happen which is why I made a point of getting in early on 6 April.  Other years I've not returned it until the end of May.

I'm not sure on the tax adjustment; I thought that was what you typically did for trivial amounts whereas your repayment will be quite chunky so you'll want the money now.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's probably all been slowed down by their working at home like most companies. 

Tbh I thought this would likely happen which is why I made a point of getting in early on 6 April.  Other years I've not returned it until the end of May.

I'm not sure on the tax adjustment; I thought that was what you typically did for trivial amounts whereas your repayment will be quite chunky so you'll want the money now.

Well yes but back in 12 installments now is better than waiting, waiting waiting. My wife wants to use it to pay down the mortgage. Our mortgage rate is only 1.4% so Im sure there are better investments however in the current economic climate (and compared to piddling it up the wall) I think this is a wise use of the money. 

My first attempt at getting this repaid was February - the money is for tax year 2018-19

Edited by Kurt Barlow