DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The theory is that the minty freshness appeals to young people more so they encourage kids to start smoking.

This misses the fairly crucial point that any kid fancying flavoured smokes is going to be round the vaping shop rather than even considering menthols.

Fear not though because the legislation was so woefully draughted that fully legal menthol cigarettes are still widely available.

This is defintely one of those laws that smacks of some civil servants having too much time on their hands.

Something strange about the reasoning behind the legislation, do a significant number of kids smoke menthols? Can't believe many can afford packs of tabs after buying avocados and iphones. Would have thought young smokers either vaped or smoked rollies, rarely see people smoking ready-mades these days.

Not sure who stands to win or lose the most.... Some tobacco companies more so than others so quite possibly some of the larger ones like Philip Morris or BAT are not as invested in menthol than say Imperial (who I took a small stake in a while back).

8 minutes ago, MrPin said:

It sounds like the law makers were smoking something else.

Or similar to the Swedish snuss Europe wide ban.  Not sure who was pushing for that but if anything the big tobacco companies and some easily led civil servants.

It's totally possible to buy a very similar product legally in the UK... They just call the bags "chew bags" and not snuss.  And cut the tobacco slightly thicker.  Similar in the US  Same product though shows how ridiculous the original ban was.

1 minute ago, Dogtania said:

Or similar to the Swedish snuss Europe wide ban.  Not sure who was pushing for that but if anything the big tobacco companies and some easily led civil servants.

It's totally possible to buy a very similar product legally in the UK... They just call the bags "chew bags" and not snuss.  And cut the tobacco slightly thicker.  Similar in the US  Same product though shows how ridiculous the original ban was.

I don't know about Sweden, but it's available in Norway.

15 minutes ago, wherebee said:

My favourite piece of 'WTF' legislation was one of the Blair ones where they made it illegal to set off a nuclear weapon in the Uk without permission.

Yeah, because that was something that really needed new legislation just in case someone thought it was legal.

0_m58829.jpg

There used to be signs around the city pointing out it's a nuclear free one. 
Cos the bombs would read the signs and go home.

34 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Well chewing tobacco is not that great really, so I never took up the Snus. Does anyone remember Skoal Bandits, like a chewing tobacco tea bag?

Skoal Bandits sponsored the Heron Suzuki world motorcycle racing team for a two years (85-86) just after Barry Sheene left ( thread crosser alert)

45 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Well chewing tobacco is not that great really, so I never took up the Snus. Does anyone remember Skoal Bandits, like a chewing tobacco tea bag?

Sounds a bit like the snuss masquerading as "chew bags" of today. Never heard of the one you mention sounds pretty dodgy tbh.  Did it commonly get sold or consumed with Skol super strength 😛

I have tried a few "snuss" now and one in particular I really like and a few I have had to chuck as absolutely disgusting.  There are quite a few tobacco free chew bags now too... One I really like but is extra strong not sure if that is why I like.  The difference seems to be the tobacco ones last a long time whereas the free not much.

1 hour ago, Byron said:

It is the modern lefty fashion,

You know, now that religion has declined it is necessary to get in a moral panic about something (any thing will do)

In the old days it used to be about saving people's souls, now it is their health.

These people are the true descendants of the witch burners.

Speaking as a religious person, we're well rid of them.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

0_m58829.jpg

There used to be signs around the city pointing out it's a nuclear free one. 

Cos the bombs would read the signs and go home.

You could imagine a Soviet general looking at the red dots on his map 'oh no, not another nuclear-free zone'

Edited by Panther
2 minutes ago, Panther said:

You could imagine a Soviet general looking at the red dots on his map 'oh no, not another nuclear-free zone'

I remember particular London boroughs having such signs in the 80s.

Though if I had been a Russian war planner I would have made a point of targetting them for a laugh.

""Nuclear free" are you?  We'll see about that."

13 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

Sounds a bit like the snuss masquerading as "chew bags" of today. Never heard of the one you mention sounds pretty dodgy tbh.  Did it commonly get sold or consumed with Skol super strength 😛

I have tried a few "snuss" now and one in particular I really like and a few I have had to chuck as absolutely disgusting.  There are quite a few tobacco free chew bags now too... One I really like but is extra strong not sure if that is why I like.  The difference seems to be the tobacco ones last a long time whereas the free not much.

WTF is a chew bag???

18 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

WTF is a chew bag???

Basically something you don't want to chew but they have named it to get around the EU regulations.  It's a small bag of tobacco that you leave on the side of the gum....I think they way it's manufactured or pasteurised means you don't need to spit like I believe you do with traditional chewing tobacco.

Yes tobacco is as nice as ever 😅

23674__big.jpg

4 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

Basically something you don't want to chew but they have named it to get around the EU regulations.  It's a small bag of tobacco that you leave on the side of the gum....I think they way it's manufactured or pasteurised means you don't need to spit like I believe you do with traditional chewing tobacco.

Yes tobacco is as nice as ever 😅

23674__big.jpg

I have a strong feeling that I am not missing out on somethiing.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

I have a strong feeling that I am not missing out on somethiing.

Similar are still very popular amongst footballers as they think it gives them increased sharpness for games.

Maybe it does.

BACCY THE NET

Hundreds of top footballers like Jamie Vardy who use ‘snus’ nicotine are warned they’re putting ‘poison in their mouths’

Footballers are turning to moist tobacco product – 'snus' – in the belief it boosts performance and mental sharpness - but experts warn they're risking their health

nintchdbpict0002622112571.jpg?w=960

The snuff-like drug is placed behind the top lip in teabag-style pouches

Credit: Not known, clear with picture desk :D

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5942381/snus-nicotine-cancer-risk-warning-jamie-vardy/

Edited by Frank Hovis