• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Frank Hovis

I am absolutely useless at - confess!

Recommended Posts

The immediate prompt for this was the mystery sound puzzle on the radio.  I never get these; I just cannot identify a sound in isolation.

This is probably related to my massive blind spot in music where I can follow a I IV VI V chord progression on paper but cannot hear it in the actual music or with confidence pick out the instruments playing; even the bass line unless it's very obvious.

My hearing is excellent but I really struggle to analyse sound as I would something visual or textual.

Cluedo also springs to mind. I am generally excellent at games but this one I nearly always lose and don't think it coincidence. The elimination principle of the game is straightforward enough but I don't seem to be able to get it to work. And generally this is playing against kids rather than adults.

Also clay pigeon shooting where the clay is rising away from me as opposed to going past overhead. My desire to get the aim spot on before releasing goes directly against the best strategy which is to fire quickly whilst the clay is close and I can't overcome that: I have a gun then I must aim it.

 

This is getting rather niche.

More interesting contributions invited!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Also clay pigeon shooting where the clay is rising away from me as opposed to going past overhead. My desire to get the aim spot on before releasing goes directly against the best strategy which is to fire quickly whilst the clay is close and I can't overcome that: I have a gun then I must aim it.

I have exactly the same issue 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Also clay pigeon shooting where the clay is rising away from me as opposed to going past overhead. My desire to get the aim spot on before releasing goes directly against the best strategy which is to fire quickly whilst the clay is close and I can't overcome that: I have a gun then I must aim it.

 

This is getting rather niche.

More interesting contributions invited!

I'm guessing, do you generally go for constant lead rather than swinging though a shot, maybe the rising clay is one where it is most/more beneficial to do the former as it forces the shot at the earliest opportunity,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Avocados. They taunt me.

 

Hard or ripe ones?

My kryptonite today was getting the enthusiasm up to fix/replace a leaking ballcock in the loft, so prevarication is one of my issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Hard or ripe ones?

 

 

Everything about them. I like avocados but they taunt me with their ripeness, not enough, over. I have read a 1001 articles on them. My book shelves are full of books on how to pick the correct avocado. All defeat me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

 

Everything about them. I like avocados but they taunt me with their ripeness, not enough, over. I have read a 1001 articles on them. My book shelves are full of books on how to pick the correct avocado. All defeat me.

Bet chilled distribution and use of inert gases to prolong life has a lot to do with it, as well as picking too early to help with long storage time - rather than going from hard to ripe the fruit is probably going from unripe to verging on off. Bet one picked at the right time locally takes longer for the transition, or maybe picked ripe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Option5 said:

I have exactly the same issue 😬

And me. Also when they're coming towards me, coming from my left, coming from my right, or just lying still on the ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Bet chilled distribution and use of inert gases to prolong life has a lot to do with it, as well as picking too early to help with long storage time - rather than going from hard to ripe the fruit is probably going from unripe to verging on off. Bet one picked at the right time locally takes longer for the transition, or maybe picked ripe.

 

Interesting theory.

I tend to think that it went down like this. Before I was born God told me that I was was going to have some challenges in life but that basically things were going to be OK.

Then he said that avocados would taunt me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The list of things I am useless at is too long for my liking. Perhaps I set standards that are too high.

If I had to choose one thing it would be procrastination/prevarication in boring but essential administrative tasks, which I'm unfortunately not useless at, I'm a fucking genius in those two fields!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't consider myself a stupid person, though I'm not gonna claim to be above average intelligence or anything, and I think my brain often does me more harm than good.

The reason I say all this is that my 'useless at' (beyond women) is that I was unable to learn how to drive. And I know plenty of people who aren't as smart as me who could drive as easily as they can breathe.

I could perform the manoveurs, I could essentially control a car, but it was as if my brain just felt overwhelmed at all the stuff that was going on around me as I watched the road ahead. Sat there with 4 lanes of traffic in front of you people cutting in ahead of you doing all sorts....fucking madness...my brain just kind of shuts off. Like it couldn't parse what was in front of it.

And beyond that I never felt as in control of the car as I do when I'm on my bicycle. The bicycle feels like an extension of my body, I'm in total control of it, and my spacial awareness is better than inside a car.

I do wonder whether I'd feel that same sense of spacial awareness on something like a scooter/moped. But I have no wish to become an organ donor any time soon so will be staying away from engine powered 2 wheeled veichles ;)

Edited by JoeDavola

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Driving on the left. Does not fucking compute. The petrol heads equivalent of a gibbering idiot and beyond explanation, whilst at the same time being infuriating and most likely dangerous.

 

I don't know where you are, but it's the rule round here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Give it another go.

Toying with the idea. I wouldn't tell my family about it, just get a few lessons see if I still loathe it as much. If I still hate it and am really bad at it, no harm done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I don't consider myself a stupid person, though I'm not gonna claim to be above average intelligence or anything, and I think my brain often does me more harm than good.

The reason I say all this is that my 'useless at' (beyond women) is that I was unable to learn how to drive. And I know plenty of people who aren't as smart as me who could drive as easily as they can breathe.

I could perform the manoveurs, I could essentially control a car, but it was as if my brain just felt overwhelmed at all the stuff that was going on around me as I watched the road ahead. Sat there with 4 lanes of traffic in front of you people cutting in ahead of you doing all sorts....fucking madness...my brain just kind of shuts off. Like it couldn't parse what was in front of it.

And beyond that I never felt as in control of the car as I do when I'm on my bicycle. The bicycle feels like an extension of my body, I'm in total control of it, and my spacial awareness is better than inside a car.

I do wonder whether I'd feel that same sense of spacial awareness on something like a scooter/moped. But I have no wish to become an organ donor any time soon so will be staying away from engine powered 2 wheeled veichles ;)

I would say that being fairly high achieveing on an academic scale can be actually counter-productive when it comes to learning to drive.

I expected it to be easy, after all I could do a lot of intellectual things that most people can't so it damn well should be.

Expecting it to be easy and then coming up against the hard reality that being good at linked quadratic equations makes no difference in learning to drive; you may as well be somebody who adds up on their fingers.

The need then to recalibrate expectations to be that it will be as hard for you as for anybody serves as a delay in the process that somebody who isn't a straight A student doesn't need to overcome because they're not overthinking it.

I'm a good driver these days but it took a lot of practice beyond passing my test.

 

My only other "How hard can it be?" learning was double entry bookkeeping.  It should be easy; but it really isn't as soon as you leave teh most basic of examples.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.