• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long John Silver

Olympic games

I spent a whole lot of the last decade embroiled in arguments about the economic 'benefits' of hosting an olympics. I found it astonishing that people bought the idea that ten or so billion quid of money invested would somehow lead to otherwise impossible regeneration. Rather most like all olympics went into a big hole in the ground that could never pay itself back. 

It now seems the penny has dropped and Paris and LA are to be awarded 24 and 28 with ( i believe) some subsidies involved.

now i think LA might work as they will already have funded , pay their way already venues so hosting might be a boon just like in 84.

i cannot think why a country would want to burden itself with building stadia for which if there was need would already exist just to host two weeks of largely minority sports 

I get that but how tangible is it? Its not like London would drop off the international table because it didnt host olympics and two weeks of feeling good for £10 bil?

a large part of the feel good was thecsuccess of the competitors. An extra two hundred million of lottery cash to traind and fund another two hubdred competitors woukd have probably seen even more success in Paris 2012 and we coukd have all gone if we'd really wanted to.

i recall London was all but empty for the duration of the games compared with normal 

Just to add im not opposed to hosting large events per se. It makes mir sense for London yo host the 24 28 or 32 games whilst the facilities largely still exist and also a world cup in soccer. I just object to building stuff for a one off event ( and yes i have no issues with the word soccer) 

37 minutes ago, Long John Silver said:

Just to add im not opposed to hosting large events per se. It makes mir sense for London yo host the 24 28 or 32 games whilst the facilities largely still exist and also a world cup in soccer. I just object to building stuff for a one off event ( and yes i have no issues with the word soccer) 

I am very tempted to agree with you as I took no interest in the Olympics and it would have made zero difference to me if it had just not happened.

However: it enthused and excited a lot of people. Kid's were really into it and collecting the 50ps, a lot of women who in general are turned off sport by the endless wall of football were avidly following each day of it, and a lot of disabled young people had what was probably the highlight of their lives in competing for the subsequent Paralympics.

So for all its faults, and my personal lack of interest, I thought it was a winner.

7 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Is that because of the javelins landing in the centre circle?

Brings a new meaning to "target man", but no. I think I've read that some of the seats are a quarter of a mile from the pitch. 

46 minutes ago, eight said:

Has anybody been to one of West Ham's matches since they moved? Apparently the place is absolutely toxic for football.

I have, it's pretty crap, but the atmosphere isn't any worse than, say, the Emirates or Old Trafford. I daresay it's properly rubbish if you're right at the back, with 30+ feet of empty space between you and the next tier of seating, but AFAIK they ended up selling off those season tickets stupidly cheap (which then apparently led to fights between the hardcore WH fans and the arriviste 'plastics' :lol: ).

48 minutes ago, eight said:

Has anybody been to one of West Ham's matches since they moved? Apparently the place is absolutely toxic for football.

I've come across quite a few toxic west ham fans over the years..  You must be on about the running track type of football ground - both ends & corners get a shite view, well away from the 'action'

Just now, eight said:

Brings a new meaning to "target man", but no. I think I've read that some of the seats are a quarter of a mile from the pitch. 

The continental stadia with the running track between the pitch and the stands have a rubbish atmosphere. I took a German work colleague to an Arsenal* evening game at their old stadium but could only get tickets at the end and a long way back in the lower tier so if you stood up you couldn't see the other end.

I thought it was ok but he was raving about how good the atmosphere was.

* Closest to the City; I don't support them.