DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

As per the title - anyone with experience of yoga?

A bit of background: I'm coming up to 50. I've always hated group sports e.g. football or anything competitive. For several years now the only "sport" that I've practised has been dancing salsa. I don't think I'm in a bad shape physically - I'm thin, I eat well, I cycle to work (it's only a mile away).

I want to try and keep my body fairly supple, to improve my posture, and so on. As a secondary goal, something that helps me de-stress would be nice too.

So could yoga be of interest to me? I'm interested in the physical aspect, keeping fit and supple. I'm not convinced by the spiritual side but I don't know if it's always like that - or just some "schools" that are into that.

Anyway - any input is welcome!

I attended a weekly yoga class a few years ago along with mrs s (about 3 or 4 years I think. Up until I was 48)

Really enjoyed although I was the only male and I was therefore useless for some of the more bendy poses/routines when compared to the women. 

It was ashtanga yoga so quite energetic. Proper sweat on after an hour. I don't think I would have enjoyed the more gentle versions.

Definitely helped with my flexibility and breathing and a good counterpoint to my mountain biking (couple of sessions of this per week + indoor rowing and biking in the winter). You have to know your limits though - I diid skip one or two of the routines.

It was run by a karate instructor and he was keen to crack on - no spiritual sidetracking. Just a namaste at the end.

We always ended with a 5 minute lie down on the mat whilst he told us to ease the tension in the body talking through each joint in turn. Very relaxing!

I'd probably consider it again in the future once retired and with more time to hand.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DeepLurker said:

As per the title - anyone with experience of yoga?

A bit of background: I'm coming up to 50. I've always hated group sports e.g. football or anything competitive. For several years now the only "sport" that I've practised has been dancing salsa. I don't think I'm in a bad shape physically - I'm thin, I eat well, I cycle to work (it's only a mile away).

I want to try and keep my body fairly supple, to improve my posture, and so on. As a secondary goal, something that helps me de-stress would be nice too.

So could yoga be of interest to me? I'm interested in the physical aspect, keeping fit and supple. I'm not convinced by the spiritual side but I don't know if it's always like that - or just some "schools" that are into that.

Anyway - any input is welcome!

Yes, it's brilliant. 

Just make sure you do one of the active types of yoga not the ones focusing on meditation and only the breathing (although, as you will discover after a few weeks struggling to get into the postures, the breathing is important even in the active kinds)

It will help if your teacher is a gorgeous woman, not inappropriately young, who makes an excellent pretence of being interested in you, as mine does. I'm sure she isn't really, but I still like the delusion.

Edit : I'm convinced if I'd "found" yoga when young, I'd have been able to play my preferred sports (hockey and cricket) for many more years than I did, and I'd have been better at them. 

Edited by swiss_democracy_for_all

Would recommend ashtanga yoga too,  used to do it once a week too,  didn't really get the spiritual side,  enjoyed the 5 minute lie down at the end.  Very good for your flexibility, core strength,  destressing. 

Lots of different types. I would recommend mixing it up. 

Alternate between one of the more vigorous "exercise" type yoga and one of the gentler relaxing stretching ones. 

Both have their benefits. 

Of the second type I really like Yin yoga. 

You hold a position for 3-4 minutes and really get an amazing stretch. 

I do yoga in phases. Get into it for 6 months then the opposite then repeat. 

Definitely do it in a class with a teacher that comes around and ensures you do it properly. For at least the first 6 months anyway. 

Thanks all for your thoughts. I was a bit concerned about the spiritual side of it, but it seems to be fairly easy to avoid that stuff. Which is good. I'll wait a couple of weeks for the pandemic to calm down, then I'll try to find a local class.

Cheers again.

1 hour ago, DeepLurker said:

Thanks all for your thoughts. I was a bit concerned about the spiritual side of it, but it seems to be fairly easy to avoid that stuff. Which is good. I'll wait a couple of weeks for the pandemic to calm down, then I'll try to find a local class.

Cheers again.

Most aren't bothered. And if they are they know it's not in their financial interest to go too hard core on it. 

I think you will enjoy it.

I do and I'm a tennents drinking Ching snorting arsehole. 

:Old: