DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Pretty full on disaster with my computer. I have been ignoring waring sign for some time and then at the weekend windows10,(yes I know not the smart guys choice), found a problem with the C drive and tried to fix it. Windows has not botted since. So, although it is certinly not the best time to buy a new laptop I have done so. Pretty pleased with it so far and basics already set up but it is the first hour of using it.

What I want to know is if I can recover files from the old C drive and if so how? I have successfully used disk drill to recover files from other places but dont know if there is a way to "talk to" the old hard drive from the new laptop. Alternatively of course getting the old drive to somehow boot would solve the problem too.

Of course I do not have a back up boot already created on a usb drive.

Any ideas/advice?

Also, but much less important at the moment, what would you advise for set up of  a new computer? Now seems the right time to ask this as it is a "clean" start.

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

What type of drive is it? Assuming it's a 2.5" SATA drive (either HDD or SSD) I'd just pull it out of the old PC, put it in a £10 USB3 enclosure and plug it in.

If it's still alive, you can then just grab whatever files off it that you want to keep, then format it and you've got yourself a handy little external storage drive.

Edited by Boglet
15 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

Also, but much less important at the moment, what would you advise for set up of  a new computer? Now seems the right time to ask this as it is a "clean" start.

Whatever setup you go for, I recommend it includes a second, external, removeable drive on which to back up your important files.

10 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Whatever setup you go for, I recommend it includes a second, external, removeable drive on which to back up your important files.

Only about £80 for a 2 Gb one. Maybe cheaper now?

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Only about £80 for a 2 Gb one. Maybe cheaper now?

Not being into model railways, I have only just learned of Digital Command Control, which is used to control toy trains model locomotives.

I want my next external hard drive to have a DCC interface, so I can control the chuffing sound and smoke.

Turn your PC on and off using the power button 3 times. On the fourth turn on leave it on and it should go into a diagnostic mode- at which point it should, after a few minutes, give you several options. Amongst them there should be a disc scan / repair option.

So, you turn on using the power button, give it a few seconds to try to start booting, power off, repeat 2 more times and then go for one more time turning it on. Wait for the diagnostics to show on screen.

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Turn your PC on and off using the power button 3 times. On the fourth turn on leave it on and it should go into a diagnostic mode- at which point it should, after a few minutes, give you several options. Amongst them there should be a disc scan / repair option.

So, you turn on using the power button, give it a few seconds to try to start booting, power off, repeat 2 more times and then go for one more time turning it on. Wait for the diagnostics to show on screen.

Is this true of all modern BIOS?

5 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

It is not a BIOS thing. It is Windows 10. Just not that well publicised. 

I never heard of that one. I do remember getting disk warnings, so I did a disk image right away, and got a new disk. Once they start going, they go downhill quickly.

1 minute ago, Happy Renting said:

Windows 10 is amazing Spyware. It even has a built-in operating system of sorts.

And various games which won't go away. just what you need on a business machine.

15 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Thanks for that - I did try but not getting as far as accessing windows - seems the C drive error had affected the booting of windows.

9 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

Thanks for that - I did try but not getting as far as accessing windows - seems the C drive error had affected the booting of windows.

You may or may not be lucky in extracting the data. Perhaps it's only the boot area which is broken? Still as pointed out, an external SATA caddy can be had for a few quid, to give it a go.

We had a catastrophic server failure about 10 years ago. Got all of the data back but it was expensive. We had to go to two data recovery firms in the end. The first was utterly useless, the second brilliant. We now back up the back up of our back ups, if you get what I mean.....

I do recommend disk drill - it seems very good at finding the files and most can be previewed evn from the evaluation version. I am hopefull that outting the hard drive in an enclosure will enable me to get the data back. I have one already somehwere but cannot lay my hands on it at the moment but for £7-39 I have one tomorrow.

I will post whether it is successful.

Is there any advantage here to installing Ubuntu as a 2nd operating system? I think I may do this anyway.

1 minute ago, man o' the year said:

I do recommend disk drill - it seems very good at finding the files and most can be previewed evn from the evaluation version. I am hopefull that outting the hard drive in an enclosure will enable me to get the data back. I have one already somehwere but cannot lay my hands on it at the moment but for £7-39 I have one tomorrow.

I will post whether it is successful.

Is there any advantage here to installing Ubuntu as a 2nd operating system? I think I may do this anyway.

Don't partition the drive for dual booting. Causes to many risks unless you are an enthusiast pissing about for fun or other reasons.

5 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Don't partition the drive for dual booting. Causes to many risks unless you are an enthusiast pissing about for fun or other reasons.

You can run Ubuntu from a DVD drive (slowly), or install it to a USB hard drive, and boot from that, if used infrequently.

From memory I had a hard drive that made a rattle sound then jammed. I can’t remember what I did with it. Probably I opened it fixed the jam that it came back and theN smashed the thing to pieces with a club hammer.