DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

3D printers seem to be increasingly in the news of late. Actually they have dropped a little in my estimation as a result.

They seem to put out crap..thinking of the face masks for anti viral use. The use is fine. The quality iffy.

My imagination I guess, but I figured from all the hype they would produce marvels...not cheapo crap. OK..I understand this will depend on lots of factors...machine..plastic...programmes.and so on..Also I assume its just plastics they use.

I kind of feel like I was when aged 8..trying to upsell a PC to my now late mother..how they could and would do everything. They did. We lived without one though.  Two decades on...they were making an impact at a reasonable price for the home.

I half feel I would find a use for one if I had one. My guess there is little market for home devices at present?

I know zilch and as mentioned feel like this is the cusp of a new market and generalised product for the masses.

My nipper and his mate built their own 3d printers. At the beginning of the outbreak, they designed and printed adapters to allow one kimd of ventilator to to be connected to multiple outlets. They refined the design, and shared the CAD files to allow production versions to be churned out. They both got letters of thanks from the consultant T the hospital. This is what 3d printing is for, rapid prototyping. 

These lads are both 20 years old, it's stuff like this gives me hope. Hope that we can eventually get out of this shit.

9 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Prototypes not production.

The mask things was a load of shite.

Excellent for prototype making and not just directly either - mould making for metal casting - shapes that would be very difficult / costly to machine or hand create.  Multiple material properties of printable plastics - hard and stiff for say pricing bones, flexible plastics for ligaments - can directly print model of skeleton/muscles. One poster o the early Reprap board was printing reaction chambers - small volumes of various chemicals could be combined in sequence by pumping them into various connected/printed reaction chambers. 

10 hours ago, Popuplights said:

My nipper and his mate built their own 3d printers. At the beginning of the outbreak, they designed and printed adapters to allow one kimd of ventilator to to be connected to multiple outlets. They refined the design, and shared the CAD files to allow production versions to be churned out. They both got letters of thanks from the consultant T the hospital. This is what 3d printing is for, rapid prototyping. 

These lads are both 20 years old, it's stuff like this gives me hope. Hope that we can eventually get out of this shit.

Thank you for sharing that.

We could do with a lot more stories like that at the moment.