DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Heard they were bringing this out ages ago, turns out it was launched in September 2019 but I hadn't realised.

https://megadrivemini.sega.com/

• Altered Beast
  • Streets of Rage
  • Street Fighter 2
  • Sonic 2
  • Toejam and Earl
  • + loads more I've never heard of/didn't play back in the day

Ahhh, those were the days.... Coming home from school playing Mega Drive until your mum wanted to watch Neighbours.:PissedOff:

Bought one off Amazon, £48...

Anyone got one?

I find it extraordinarily troubling that now I'm old enough to have cash and the kids are old enough to look after themselves, I'm no longer so interested in playing the games that I loved years ago, and couldn't afford (time and cash) to play more.

Just now, dgul said:

I find it extraordinarily troubling that now I'm old enough to have cash and the kids are old enough to look after themselves, I'm no longer so interested in playing the games that I loved years ago, and couldn't afford (time and cash) to play more.

I'm with you on the time constraints. There's no way I'll be able to put in 3 hour sessions any more, but that's probably a good thing.

I did recently buy a SD card thing that plugs into the user port of a BBC micro and emulates floppies, and comes with a 2gig SD card with every single BBC game you could remember, and loads that you couldn't (incredible value at 15 quid all in).    so, I dragged out my old Master 512 and started playing.  It was enjoyable for about an hour, and that was it.

It is very cheap, seems the SNES mini going for a bit more.  Iirc vaguely it was extremely cheap under £20 before Christmas and did think about picking one up to play at some point. Never had a mega drive though, all the cool kids had SNES 😛. Altered beast sounds good though and maybe bit of golden axe

I think the switch looks really impressive with emulated games but are pretty hard to come by these days.  

I probably would if I didn't still have all my retro consoles from back in the day. In fact I have more than a few. Master System, Mega Drive + CD + 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, Wii, Commodore 128, Amiga 500, Playstation 1 & 2, Xbox & 360, Neo Geo AES and CD, 3DO, Atari 2600 & Jaguar.

I don't get a lot of time to play them either.

15 hours ago, dgul said:

Before (proper) work, I had loads of time but no money to do anything.

Now I have money but no time.

I used to *love* arcade games.

My problem is that I spend all day working with a computer that mmy ability to concentrate on a screen ha totally gone by the time I get home

Ive not gone round to playing the kids WiiU _ I pencilled in completing the Mario.

13 hours ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

I just heard about em recently.....

If I was after a small gaming rig, I think I'd get a PI 4 and run this https://batocera.org/ heard it's the DBs

Yeah, I'd heard of these SIM things on Pi - basically every game you ever knew about from any games system on one SD card. Sounds awesome. 

13 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Yeah I've already got a ridiculous Pi setup which is why I'm being good and holding back from buying the megadrive.

What extra kit do you need apart from the PI? A universal control pad I guess, but anything else?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, LC1 said:

What extra kit do you need apart from the PI? A universal control pad I guess, but anything else?

The most challenging bit to get is the 256 gig SD card filled with every game known to man ;)

There's also smaller images built, 64 gig and maybe smaller.

I've been informed arcadepunks.com is a good starting place to look (I didn't download my image a mate got it for me)

But yeah a bog standard PI is enough to run the retro gaming stuff as long as your talking 16 bit systems (Megadrive/SNES) and previous.

Edited by JoeDavola

Yep got one and I've hacked it using Project Lunar so I can add other games to it, decent bit of kit and comes with 2 pads. I also pre-ordered the PC Engine mini which, as Amazon informed me earlier should be getting delivered tomorrow. 

9 hours ago, spygirl said:

Before (proper) work, I had loads of time but no money to do anything.

Now I have money but no time.

I used to *love* arcade games.

My problem is that I spend all day working with a computer that mmy ability to concentrate on a screen ha totally gone by the time I get home

Ive not gone round to playing the kids WiiU _ I pencilled in completing the Mario.

Limit yourself to 1-2 posts daily and that would free up a lot of time. I've no idea how people find the time to chalk up such high post counts. 2 a day average for me here seems excessive.

I had an 8 bit Master System in the halcyon days of the early 1990s. Sold it for a Commodore Amiga A600.

I might get myself one of these Mini Mega Drives. Played Sonic the Hedgehog on other peoples' Mega Drives.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Shamone said:

Wanna buy it?:Jumping:

Ha!

It would actually be a really cool thing to own, but I'm not spending that amount on it! Just letting you know in case someone else spots it and tries to rip you off - you're better putting it on eBay and letting it find it's true value.

Edited by JoeDavola
Just now, JoeDavola said:

Ha!

It would actually be a really cool thing to own, but I'm not spending that amount on it! Just letting you know in case someone else spots it and tries to rip you off - you're better putting it on eBay and letting it find it's true value.

What do you think it’s worth? I would have thought about £20.