• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
stokiescum

Usable silver thingys

Ok forks and knifes I get but I’m after something that functions other than a fruit bowl and drinking tankards I’m struggling for options.im after old stuff but also stuff where the value is not in its age or collectibility so much but more it’s silver content .so I don’t end up bidding against collectors basicly .the usable aspect is a hedge against silver not shooting up in price ie I can use it .

At what price per gram would I expect to get rid of the melt down guys and be going against collectors any opinions . I’ve even started an eBay acount up lol

Candelabra?  As stuffed into swag bags by old fashioned burglars.  I've quite fancied a sterling dunhill lighter, but having given up smoking, don't really have a use for one.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Candelabra?  As stuffed into swag bags by old fashioned burglars.  I've quite fancied a sterling dunhill lighter, but having given up smoking, don't really have a use for one.

My ceiling is high enough I’ve worked out 50p a gram will put me into collected territory or against someone who

likes the item 

Edited by stokiescum

Candle sticks?

Platters?

People don’t want that sort of stuff because it tarnishes and nobody uses candles anymore..  but if you want to collect,  you could keep them for the odd romantic meal and know you also have a bit of silver kicking around..

7 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Candle sticks?

Platters?

People don’t want that sort of stuff because it tarnishes and nobody uses candles anymore..  but if you want to collect,  you could keep them for the odd romantic meal and know you also have a bit of silver kicking around..

No it’s usable silver mainly I don’t want to collect and yep it’s going to get sold if silver goes nuts . But if it doesn’t I can use it 

59 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

No it’s usable silver mainly I don’t want to collect and yep it’s going to get sold if silver goes nuts . But if it doesn’t I can use it 

I'm not sure how useable it really is..  unless you have a house full of servants to keep it polished. 

Tarnished silver isn't very appealing :/

18 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I'm not sure how useable it really is..  unless you have a house full of servants to keep it polished. 

Well I’m not going to go nuts maybe a grands worth and I’m in no rush to get it 

8 hours ago, wherebee said:

Surely a Prince Albert would be top of your list?

Any fucker who gets mutilated around their nob and bollocks like that is a fucking wacko and they should be sectioned and imprisoned for life for their own safety.

My nut-sac and bellend are so precious to me that they will forever remain as nature intended - and I have always refused any overtures from my women towards having a vasectomy for the same reasons.

As a clumsy cunt, I wouldn't even shave my pubes in case the blade damaged my precious package...

XYY

7 hours ago, Libspero said:

I remember silver candlesticks being relatively common when I was a child because they were a sign of wealth at a time of relative material poverty.

As we mostly became far more materially wealthy silver ornaments became unimpressive and without the prestige status they became simply a class of metal object that was a pain to keep clean.

Ditto hallmarked silver cutlery; that went from posh to being a pain.

There must be skiploads of unwanted silver turning black in the nation's attics.

8 hours ago, Libspero said:

Candle sticks?

Platters?

Most of what you will find is EPNS, not real silver. I have a couple of silver forks and spoons, just for @The XYY Man. I'm afraid a lot of silver is sold for scrap value when the item goes out of fashion, watches, spoons, tea sets, etc.

There's loads of useful stuff out there.

Stilton scoops*, asparagus tongs, nutmeg graters, ice cream spoons etc

Let your imagination run riot and put in a search on ebay. :D

* I have actually got one of these (dates from the early part of the 19th C - not often seen at the dinner table if I'm being honest)

Junk silver tends to stay around its silver content spot price. £1k will get you a lot of 1946 or earlier coinage which is 50% silver. I forget which date it went from 90% to 50% silver.

Good for kids to play with as silver is antiseptic. Great fun trying to explain pounds shillings and pence to them. :)

They're also good for poker chips.

1 hour ago, jm51 said:

Junk silver tends to stay around its silver content spot price. £1k will get you a lot of 1946 or earlier coinage which is 50% silver. I forget which date it went from 90% to 50% silver.

Good for kids to play with as silver is antiseptic. Great fun trying to explain pounds shillings and pence to them. :)

They're also good for poker chips.

Good tip but I've been watching prices on ebay and they are sky high at the moment. I was buying pre 1920 3d coins for 65p each last year. They are way over £1 each now.

Of course some ebayers are not firing all on cylinders and take murky photos or title the lots poorly. For example, I got myself an 1817 half crown this week for £8 mixed in with other general coins and medals. Also I picked up an antique russian silver bowl today for £45 (200g). Most lots sell for over spot though. You just need to bide your time (and not bid against me!)

By the way post 1920 dropped the silver content to 50%.