DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Kitchen Fat Degreaser

Investigating behind the extractor hood above our hobs there’s an incredibly heavy/thick layer of old sticky cooking fat.

Kitchen cleaners and vinegar don’t seem to touch it.  I’m wondering if DOSBODers have any tips for industrial cleaning fluids that might shift it..  preferably without dissolving either steel or wood lacquer?

1 minute ago, Libspero said:

Sounds like something you’d use for disposing of bodies..  am I going to end up on a database?  :ph34r:

It's precisely what you might use. Nasty alkaline. It's probably what a lot of degreasers contain. Turns fat to soap, so then it will wash away with water.

3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

It's precisely what you might use. Nasty alkaline. It's probably what a lot of degreasers contain. Turns fat to soap, so then it will wash away with water.

Thanks Mr Pin..  I’ll keep an eye on my wife’s Amazon purchases from now on :D

Caustic Soda

Shovel

Daisy seeds

Champagne

1 minute ago, Libspero said:

Thanks Carl..  remind me to buy you a beer if we ever end up a DOSBODs meet!

Works like magic.. !

Yes, alcohols will dissolve fat. I thought your problem may be a bit more severe.

17 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Investigating behind the extractor hood above our hobs there’s an incredibly heavy/thick layer of old sticky cooking fat.

Kitchen cleaners and vinegar don’t seem to touch it.  I’m wondering if DOSBODers have any tips for industrial cleaning fluids that might shift it..  preferably without dissolving either steel or wood lacquer?

Dirty bastard. Clean it more often and you wont get this issue. :Sick1:

Posted (edited)

We have a cupboard above the extractor fan and it gets a bit manky.  We needed a kitchen person out to replace the fan and he recommended "tec 7" cleaner. Apparently you can get it from b&q. 

Wife swears by it and she is hard to please in the cleaning stakes.

Edited by NewryH
Spell check