DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Well their latest stunt might just have killed the goose that lay the golden eggs. Screaming from the roof tops about locking down people. Meanwhile a swathe of the country is itching to produce again because the state doesn't pick up the tab for them...Questions whether the private sector can even pay for itself, let alone the public sector at the moment.

8 hours ago, OurDayWillCome said:

To me it means hard graft for no reward - slogging away for a subsistence living. To the public sector it means extra time off for doing anything above the minuscule amount of hours they are contracted for. The same public sector that are driving the leftist drivel 

Didn't understand - when you say TOIL in caps does it mean same as I think it means, Time Off In Lieu? 

What's wrong with that? We have the option for official TOIL at work (private sector) or can claim overtime for the extra hours. I don't need the money and can't be arsed with form filling so if I end up working late I just slope off early a different day if things are quiet. 

If you're saying you support the "please work ridiculous hours for free" then head over to that other thread somewhere about bosses taking the piss. 

Finally, what's "leftist" got to do with it? 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

If you're saying you support the "please work ridiculous hours for free" then head over to that other thread somewhere about bosses taking the piss. 

No money no workey.

If an employer wants more hours out of me than we agreed to in the contract they are very welcome to enter into negotiations about how much that time will cost them. It will be more than zero pounds per hour and also more than my standard hourly rate due to the significantly increased disruption to my home life.

Edited by Darude

I worked for a company that ran a TOIL system.It was nuts.Work 12 hours on a sunday at double time get 24 hours off.On late shift (2-10) you used to get a paid 30 minute break at 7.30pm,so 2 hours TOIL meant you could go at 7.30pm.2.5 hours off for 1 hour worked on a Sunday,i used to get a takeout still though from the canteen as it was subbed by the company.They even had someone in each area whos full time job was to update the TOIL hours and holidays.Many a time i went to book some TOIL but the woman was off on TOIL xD .The only real gain for the company was if the lines went down etc they could ask you to go home on TOIL and most people did.If any refused other lads used to bend their ears as they didnt want the company to scrap it.

My experience of TOIL in public service is that the people who loved it most were those who had the least productive jobs.  There was also quite a bit of outright fraud (ie, while they did work the extra hours, it was only because they did bugger all during their conditioned hours).

In my experience of the private sector you'd only get extra/over time if there was a business need, and those that did bugger all during their conditioned hours didn't have a job.

I always found it a difficult concept in my line of work -- eg, If I had to send out a presentation for Monday lunchtime and present it Friday, I'll actually write it Monday morning, but I'll be out on my bike over the weekend and mull over the details and my approach so that it would be easy to put together at the desk.  Then, on Weds/Thurs evening I'd probably be out again (maybe a walk) and would go over the presentation in my head.  There's no TOIL for that sort of extra work, and I don't expect there to be -- but the system can't work if it can't recognise effort.  As it is I just left corporate life and started up my own company, in which case all and every effort is recognised by the company director, who buys me presents on demand.

39 minutes ago, dgul said:

There's no TOIL for that sort of extra work, and I don't expect there to be -- but the system can't work if it can't recognise effort.  As it is I just left corporate life and started up my own company, in which case all and every effort is recognised by the company director, who buys me presents on demand.

Yes, it works for widget production but not a job where it is mostly brain power, thinking and planning. I probably spend at least an hour a day educating myself online in order that my industry/product knowledge increases, it is work and sees a return over time but no employer would recognise it. The issue with TOIL and other schemes therefore is like anything, it is too arbitrary and therefore ends up being gamed and manipulated. I've never quite understood the helps "staff retention" and reduces employee turnover reasoning either. IME any gimmicks beyond a genuinely competitive salary just encourage the bone idol, low performers, sicknotes etc. to never move on. So you end up with fat monkeys and anyone decent leaves because the frustration of working with such monkeys is unbearable. Decent staff will fetch good rates and benefits anywhere and they know it and too right. Give mediocre staff those benefits and you will soon be in trouble with 30 year veterans who stop being arsed to learn 29 years prior.