DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Forrest treasure found

That was an absolutely brilliant way to spend $1m so full credit to Forrest Fenn whose motivation was to give people a reason to get out into the wilderness and give them a good old treasure hunt.

I remember the thread on ToS; the guy was convinced that he had solved it and would share it with someone who would fund the trip.

I think everyone realised that however much he had convinced himself that he knew it there was no reason for anyone else to share that conviction and nobody, correctly, did so.

18 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That was an absolutely brilliant way to spend $1m so full credit to Forrest Fenn whose motivation was to give people a reason to get out into the wilderness and give them a good old treasure hunt.

I remember the thread on ToS; the guy was convinced that he had solved it and would share it with someone who would fund the trip.

I think everyone realised that however much he had convinced himself that he knew it there was no reason for anyone else to share that conviction and nobody, correctly, did so.

What if he's the guy that found it though?

Shame the interview doesn't ask Forrest how he feels about the dead that searched for it or others giving up their jobs and savings... Especially as TMT mentions it might just all be fake seeing as the location hasn't been revealed.

1 minute ago, Covid19 and life to go said:

What if he's the guy that found it though?

Shame the interview doesn't ask Forrest how he feels about the dead that searched for it or others giving up their jobs and savings... Especially as TMT mentions it might just all be fake seeing as the location hasn't been revealed.

He isn't.

Forrest said a guy from "back east" therefore a US resident.  The ToS chap was British.

I don't think it's fake but purely because he seems a genuine person who wanted to bring some interest to the world.

Whilst Masquerade, Kit somebody, was compromised with insider information it didn't deliberately come from the author but was a conspiracy by people close to him.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

People were (rightly) concerned about some unknown bloke potentially being a nutter (or Oliver Reed trying to get a shag). 

A couple were tempted by the offer, even then. 

If I was wealthy I would like to do something like this but I am really bad at puzzles. My treasure would probably be discovered within 24 hours.

I got into geo caching a few years ago for a summer but no one else I knew was interested. I ended up finding more of the caches by eyesight and deduction than using the apps. My local area is choc full of them but seemingly no one I know has even heard of geo caching.

It's like having some huge big quiz question to win a fortune.

It goes on for years until finally the person asking and apparently offering this prize announces someone has now got it right so it's all over now. Thanks and that's all !!

Err what was the fucking answer :Old:

Unless he is just waiting and will announce it in due course. If he doesn't definitely dodgy imo. 

16 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

If I was wealthy I would like to do something like this but I am really bad at puzzles. My treasure would probably be discovered within 24 hours.

I got into geo caching a few years ago for a summer but no one else I knew was interested. I ended up finding more of the caches by eyesight and deduction than using the apps. My local area is choc full of them but seemingly no one I know has even heard of geo caching.

Is that like Pokemon..     but without the Pokemon ? 

11 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Is that like Pokemon..     but without the Pokemon ? 

Yes. I kept bumping into people whom I thought were geo caching but they were fiddling with pokemon.

I wonder if geo caching is still going. It involved stuff like walking and climbing. Too much for most.

27 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Yes. I kept bumping into people whom I thought were geo caching but they were fiddling with pokemon.

I wonder if geo caching is still going. It involved stuff like walking and climbing. Too much for most.

I think Pokemon Go has supplanted it.

I did Geocaching a few times about ten years ago and the friend with whom I did it then became hugely into Pokemon Go for several years though has now dropped that.

PG suffered from the problem of most electornic achievement games in that initially you were powering through the captures / levels but then it could take months to make a single progression without paying out for it so people gave up.

I liked Geocaching for its sheer ingenuity in placing the caches, especially the microcaches which fit into cracks in a stone wall.

1 hour ago, ccc said:

It's like having some huge big quiz question to win a fortune.

It goes on for years until finally the person asking and apparently offering this prize announces someone has now got it right so it's all over now. Thanks and that's all !!

Err what was the fucking answer :Old:

Unless he is just waiting and will announce it in due course. If he doesn't definitely dodgy imo. 

You may as well just give your house away as a raffle prize. 

The prize was won by A N Somebody. Thanks for playing. 

23 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I think Pokemon Go has supplanted it.

I did Geocaching a few times about ten years ago and the friend with whom I did it then became hugely into Pokemon Go for several years though has now dropped that.

PG suffered from the problem of most electornic achievement games in that initially you were powering through the captures / levels but then it could take months to make a single progression without paying out for it so people gave up.

I liked Geocaching for its sheer ingenuity in placing the caches, especially the microcaches which fit into cracks in a stone wall.

Being 6 foot tall, which means that I tower over many Welsh people, I find myself walking around and noticing caches at eye level in tree trunks, branches, brick walls. I became very blah quickly.