DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

They dont like it up em

spygirl

German industry records historic 18% tumble in output
Production has collapsed by a quarter in 2020 outpacing financial crisis

https://www.ft.com/content/de9a6723-51bd-4962-a410-ef0f4d210440

Now ... lets assume that the German exports will be hammered by both the virus, China having a strop and China robbing its IP.

Mix in a fair chunk of 'Kets all be an electric car!' where US/Elon looks to dominate and German left holding the ICE.

Germany has piled into stimulus, just as its budget surplus is going to go very negative.

Then the EU cannot rely on Germany paying for the the EU budget.,

How will Europe last when 70% are made to be made net payers?

TheCountOfNowhere

How will Europe last when 70% are made to be made net payers?

I dont really care.  is that an answer ?

VAG are going full steam ahead with electric vehicles. Piled a mountain of cash into the ID3. Though strangely releasing a new Golf at the same time...

Woukd imagine the others won't be far behind. 

Chewing Grass
22 minutes ago, Craig said:

VAG are going full steam ahead with electric vehicles. Piled a mountain of cash into the ID3. Though strangely releasing a new Golf at the same time...

Saw that ridiculous advert for the Golf 8, with the bloke from Spandau Ballet in it, the only thing they kept going on about was its I-features with the bloody thing talking to them all the time.

Is it worth £32000 for the base model, when most of the time you will barely get 100 miles out of it when new?

They have scrimped on the battery because their manufacturing costs are too high.

Can fully see the new Golf 8 being a lot less successful than its forebears.

476232528_Screenshotfrom2020-06-0816-51-56.png.21c32c4c37b59556ad3f1cb1503fa5b5.png

Long time lurking
37 minutes ago, Craig said:

TheCountOfNowhere
1 hour ago, Craig said:

Buy national grid shares ?

15 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Buy national grid shares ?

I do suspect it will be a massive bait-and-switch job. Get people in with incentives, then ramp the price of leccy through the roof. 

leonardratso

id love to join that +ve and -ve terminal with no load and run away real fast.

2 hours ago, Craig said:

I do suspect it will be a massive bait-and-switch job. Get people in with incentives, then ramp the price of leccy through the roof. 

I don't think people realise that by buying into all this they are saying:

"I trust the UK government not to change a thing to play this to their own advantage and screw me over"

It's like the 90's BUY A DIESEL AND SAVE THE PLANET all over again.  

7 minutes ago, Loki said:

I don't think people realise that by buying into all this they are saying:

"I trust the UK government not to change a thing to play this to their own advantage and screw me over"

It's like the 90's BUY A DIESEL AND SAVE THE PLANET all over again.  

Youd have to be a total moron to think diesel was ever a green fuel.

It would require some total cretin, half blind, on the spectrum whos never stood near a cold or idling diesel engine.

bab81a5a-3df57f76-2.43739975.jpg

One percent
27 minutes ago, spygirl said:

It would require some total cretin, half blind, on the spectrum whos never stood near a cold or idling diesel engine.

bab81a5a-3df57f76-2.43739975.jpg

Well, that’s government for you.  I’m not sure they were stupid, just playing a money making angle we are not aware of. 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Well, that’s government for you.  I’m not sure they were stupid, just playing a money making angle we are not aware of. 

No, the cretin believed his advisors, despite all evidence otherwise.

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

No, the cretin believed his advisors, despite all evidence otherwise.

I mean I won't deny that diesel tech came on light years during that time - and then after 30 years of refinement, development and progress - they shit can the lot.

Saying that if it means innocent diesel engines won't be subject to fleet manager approved 20,000 mile oil changes maybe it' worth it, right @DurhamBorn xD

Frank Hovis
13 hours ago, spygirl said:

Modern diesels are almost as low polluting as modern petrols plus they are far more efficient in their use of fuel and so put out significantly less CO2 than petrol per mile travelled.

You can absolutely say that diesel is a greener fuel than petrol.

Though that isn't incompatible with wanting those hideous old nails pumping out black soot at every gear change taken off the roads; they make me drop back about as much as erratic driving from the car in front.

Chewing Grass
4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Modern diesels are almost as low polluting as modern petrols plus they are far more efficient in their use of fuel and so put out significantly less CO2 than petrol per mile travelled.

You can absolutely say that diesel is a greener fuel than petrol.

Though that isn't incompatible with wanting those hideous old nails pumping out black soot at every gear change taken off the roads; they make me drop back about as much as erratic driving from the car in front.

That is fine when new but the maintenance of modern diesels is much, much more onerous than petrol.

Consequentially as the cars age and cease to get main dealer or competent and regular servicing the issues mount and MOT testing of diesels is not stringent enough due to the equipment requirements with regard to emissions.

If you know any MOT testers, ask them how many Diesels they test would actually meet their as new emission standards that were applicable at their time of manufacture.

This is the rough answer:-

At 3 years old approximately 90% would meet the standard.

At 5 years old its down to 60%

At 8 years old 20%

Most owners of old diesels are extremely reluctant to pay the bills associated with diesel car & van ownership unless it a) stops working or b) becomes too embarrasing (or toxic - fumes in cabin) to drive.

Frank Hovis
3 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

That is fine when new but the maintenance of modern diesels is much, much more onerous than petrol.

Consequentially as the cars age and cease to get main dealer or competent and regular servicing the issues mount and MOT testing of diesels is not stringent enough due to the equipment requirements with regard to emissions.

If you know any MOT testers, ask them how many Diesels they test would actually meet their as new emission standards that were applicable at their time of manufacture.

This is the rough answer:-

At 3 years old approximately 90% would meet the standard.

At 5 years old its down to 60%

At 8 years old 20%

Most owners of old diesels are extremely reluctant to pay the bills associated with diesel car & van ownership unless it a) stops working or b) becomes too embarrasing (or toxic - fumes in cabin) to drive.

Fair point.

Whilst not a smoker my car has failed its MoT pretty much every year because of emissions so that's matching your listing; so they take it for run and bung in some powerful additive and it passes.

I don't see that as unreasonable.  The wiring was beginning to wear and short, turning the circuit on, on one of my previous cars and I had consequently taken out all the non-essential fuses as each circuit began to randomly turn itself on.  I couldn't however take out the rear fog as that was an MoT requirement so at each MoT they replaced the rear fog switch and it worked so it passed; I hadn't told them about the wiring.  A few days later it woudl start coming on again so I would take the fuse out until the next MoT.  This went on for several years; it was legitimately passing the MoT at the time of testing.

Interesting, been driving diesels for the best part of ten years and never had any issues with emissions testing. Even my old Alfa, which used to churn out all manner of black shit, never once failed (for emissions anyway!). 

Archived