DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

The rampant inflation preppers thread...

TheCountOfNowhere

Frank Hovis
6 hours ago, Inigo said:

Friends had bought an old water mill in France.  If they could have got the old hydro stuff under the house working they said it would have generated enough cash to pay their mortgage each month.  But finding parts/a competent engineer proved too difficult.

That's worrying.

After hearing a radio piece on this several years ago I have had half an eye out for an old water mill and saw one come up in Devon though the time was not right to move.

The gist was that with the mill stream generating electricity the mill would be a gold mine.  I hadn't considered that setting it up could prove impossible.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sleepwello'nights
37 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The gist was that with the mill stream generating electricity the mill would be a gold mine.  I hadn't considered that setting it up could prove impossible.

Nothing is impossible, but there comes a cost. 

1 hour ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Nothing is impossible, but there comes a cost. 

They did get a quote of £10,000 to get it running.  I think that was to replace the old generator as no-one wanted to take responsibility for refurbishing the existing one.  They did clear the mill race and dredge the pond in front of the mill, but were a bit nervous of redirecting the flow under the house without someone who knew what they were doing.  They didn't think investing that sum of money was worth it at the time (and didn't have access to that much cash).

Frank Hovis
6 minutes ago, Inigo said:

They did get a quote of £10,000 to get it running.  I think that was to replace the old generator as no-one wanted to take responsibility for refurbishing the existing one.  They did clear the mill race and dredge the pond in front of the mill, but we're a bit nervous of redirecting the flow under the house without someone who knew what they were doing.  They didn't think investing that sum of money was worth it at the time (and didn't have access to that much cash).

I'm sure there will be a new burst of green enthusiasm by governments in the future, as in grants and generation tariffs, and it will make sense at that point.

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

They did get a quote of £10,000 to get it running.  I think that was to replace the old generator as no-one wanted to take responsibility for refurbishing the existing one.  They did clear the mill race and dredge the pond in front of the mill, but were a bit nervous of redirecting the flow under the house without someone who knew what they were doing.  They didn't think investing that sum of money was worth it at the time (and didn't have access to that much cash).

10000 - say 15000 with overruns - is pennies if you get free electricity out of it.  That's what - max ten years of normal elec charges?

Chewing Grass
3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's worrying.

After hearing a radio piece on this several years ago I have had half an eye out for an old water mill and saw one come up in Devon though the time was not right to move.

If you buy it let me know as I know enough retired and nearly retired engineers that if free accommodation and a holiday is involved to do it for fun if you buy the stuff.

We can stick it on 'the tube' and turn it into a TV series as an interesting alternative to the BBC.

Frank Hovis
12 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

If you buy it let me know as I know enough retired and nearly retired engineers that if free accommodation and a holiday is involved to do it for fun if you buy the stuff.

We can stick it on 'the tube' and turn it into a TV series as an interesting alternative to the BBC.

If I do buy one then I will definitely do that!

Frank Hovis
43 minutes ago, wherebee said:

10000 - say 15000 with overruns - is pennies if you get free electricity out of it.  That's what - max ten years of normal elec charges?

Your electricity bill is over £100 a month? That sounds incredibly high.

I can't really compare as I have solar panels but it has ranged from £180 to £300 per year as the DD leaps about.

Air conditioning takes a lot which you probably have there but won't be installed in North Europe.

reformed nice guy

I have a little bit of experience with hydro and the costs will be high due to many factors - insurance, liability, inexperience and uniqueness of the project.

In my experience you two choices:

1. go big to access the grants but are left with a lot of expensive maintenance, sign offs and insurance to keep within the agreements needed to accept the grants
  2. DIY but have to pay for and figure out yourself

I looked at hydro.  Surprisingly more complex than I realised to get it efficient.  But very interesting.  I assume permissions are needed.

On 08/06/2020 at 15:28, Frank Hovis said:

The government wants inflation to sit above interest rates for a long long time in order to reduce the real value of government, corporate and personal debt.

My understanding is if there was a run on the £ interest rate rises would have to be used to stop a currency collapse?

Frank Hovis
Just now, macca said:

My understanding is if there was a run on the £ interest rate rises would have to be used to stop a currency collapse?

Yes; as John Major had to do.

But I would say that the rules have changed; governments want their currencies to devalue to get rid of the huge debt burdens than comapnies and individuals, and they, have taken on.

They may actually welcome a currency collapse and associated reset.

Anyone who has the majority of their savings in sterling (or Euros for that matter) without good reason; such as an imminent house purchase, is taking a huge risk IMO.

On 09/06/2020 at 08:56, spygirl said:

if they dont, local economies will stall - just look at regional South regions. These economies are falling to bits as the finsec has been destroyed and nothing else has moved in due to high housing costs. 

Southern towns are going to be the next boro - you can see at as the social housing/scum expand and the jobs disappear.

all the shops, office buildings and pubs are being converted into housing near me.. 

But for what jobs?

22 minutes ago, macca said:

all the shops, office buildings and pubs are being converted into housing near me.. 

But for what jobs?

Yep.

Penny has not dropped.

On 18/07/2020 at 20:31, Frank Hovis said:

Your electricity bill is over £100 a month? That sounds incredibly high.

I can't really compare as I have solar panels but it has ranged from £180 to £300 per year as the DD leaps about.

Air conditioning takes a lot which you probably have there but won't be installed in North Europe.

elec and gas in one here.  pretty expensive - small population, large distances, lots of natural disasters needing work on the networks.  gas/elec bill is about 200 AuD a month, and that's low - we are below average for our household size.  We also don't run aircon hardly at all as we are in an old house designed to stay cool; I have a mate in a new build who has to run his 24/7 from spring to autumn.

Archived