DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I have heard talk of the council defunding Minneapolis police force and out of interest trawled the internet, the first thing that can up are these from the local paper.

https://www.startribune.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-plans-to-defund-minneapolis-police/571112392/

https://www.startribune.com/mpls-council-majority-backs-dismantling-police-department/571088302/

I appreciate that this is likely to be just policiticians virtue signalling, but if there is any truth in it then the madman really have taken over the asylum.

For example;-

In their boldest statement since George Floyd’s killing, nine Minneapolis City Council members told a crowd Sunday that they will “begin the process of ending the Minneapolis Police Department.”

“We recognize that we don’t have all the answers about what a police-free future looks like, but our community does,” they said, reading off a prepared statement. “We’re committed to engaging with every willing community member in the City of Minneapolis over the next year to identify what safety looks like for you.”

For reference there are only 12 seats on the council, apparantly a simple majority won't allow the change unless they hold a ballot of the people which only requires a simple majority.

Surely they cannot be serious...

1 minute ago, Bornagain said:

“We recognize that we don’t have all the answers about what a police-free future looks like, but our community does,” they said, reading off a prepared statement. “We’re committed to engaging with every willing community member in the City of Minneapolis over the next year to identify what safety looks like for you.”

So if there are no police you can't be arrested so can do whatever you want.

If they replace policing with something else then that becomes the police in all but name.

Unbelievable.

29 minutes ago, Bornagain said:

I have heard talk of the council defunding Minneapolis police force and out of interest trawled the internet, the first thing that can up are these from the local paper.

https://www.startribune.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-plans-to-defund-minneapolis-police/571112392/

https://www.startribune.com/mpls-council-majority-backs-dismantling-police-department/571088302/

I appreciate that this is likely to be just policiticians virtue signalling, but if there is any truth in it then the madman really have taken over the asylum.

For example;-

In their boldest statement since George Floyd’s killing, nine Minneapolis City Council members told a crowd Sunday that they will “begin the process of ending the Minneapolis Police Department.”

For reference there are only 12 seats on the council, apparantly a simple majority won't allow the change unless they hold a ballot of the people which only requires a simple majority.

Surely they cannot be serious...

I think they are thinking of forming a Committee of Public Safety and putting Robespierre in charge.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

So if there are no police you can't be arrested so can do whatever you want.

If they replace policing with something else then that becomes the police in all but name.

Unbelievable.

There won't be any problems.

Minneapolis has a large Somali population.

Famously law-abiding, they are much too busy working hard to get involved in crime.

Edited by Syd Germs
53 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Right.  Holiday in Minneapolis.

Refuse to pay the hotel bill and walk into shops and take whatever I want.

Meanwhile all decent citizens in Minneapolis sell up and move out and the city goes the way of Detroit.

You'll get shot

They won't get arrested

Other than that, a cunning plan 

All you have to do to need to no police is for everyone to be nice to everyone else.

Until then you need police. But if people respect the police then you may as well not bother having anyone and everyone will be slaughtered in their beds.

Posted (edited)

I'm obviously no expert, but isn't this all a bit overblown?

US police works in a different way to UK and if I'm understanding right, 'abolishing Minneapolis city police' doesn't mean you just have no police at all.

I think the alternative is to have a county wide police force managed in a different way. Akin to joining a consortium as opposed to doing something all in house yourself.

But then I might have got the wrong end of the stick.

Edited by Boglet