• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
MrPin

First Class Post

2 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I think MrPin is still taking those drugs....

Still posting second class though. It's like a voluntary extra payment to the Post Office to buy first class.

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

What is this thing “post”?  Why not use email?   o.O

Nobody will read your letter, or postcard. Your email will be recorded by GCHQ/Google/NSA etc. Actually, especially yours will.o.O

14 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Nobody will read your letter, or postcard. Your email will be recorded by GCHQ/Google/NSA etc. Actually, especially yours will.o.O

That’s exactly why i mainly stick to talking to myself.  o.O

I reckon first class is a scam and gets handled the same way as second class. Do Royal Mail genuinely just plonk second class letters onto a pile and let them sit there for a day, then deal with them? We need a sorting office whistleblower. 

Posted (edited)

2nd class mail is kidnapped by postmen and held hostage for 24 hours, before being released.

It's the only way they can make it work.

The storage costs are astronomical. They will have to put the price of 2nd class post up soon, so it will cost more than 1st class.

Edited by Happy Renting

I always used to buy second class as there was a material price differential; something like 12p first and 8p second so 50% up for first.

Now it's 76p vs 65p so less than 20% up for first meaning that I buy first.

First and Second class are referred to as 24 and 48 when using their business services.

1st is tagged with a 24 tag and 48 is tagged with a 48 tag.

The 1sts are opened at the nearest mail center and sorted there. The 2nds are sent to a large processing center like Gatwick, even though they are domestic.

But I found that even when we paid extra for 24hr services, they were sending to Gatwick anyway, so no benefit.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Now it's 76p vs 65p so less than 20% up for first meaning that I buy first.

Frank, if you knew somebody in the Post Office you would know that the mail is not segregated, there is no positive apartheid for 1st Class stamps, the general mail is all treated the same, the only exception being bulk mailings and small parcels.

29 minutes ago, sam1994 said:

First and Second class are referred to as 24 and 48 when using their business services.

1st is tagged with a 24 tag and 48 is tagged with a 48 tag.

The 1sts are opened at the nearest mail center and sorted there. The 2nds are sent to a large processing center like Gatwick, even though they are domestic.

But I found that even when we paid extra for 24hr services, they were sending to Gatwick anyway, so no benefit.

Thats my experience as well.

Second class all the way

13 minutes ago, Covid19 and life to go said:

Do you find you always have company?

Crap when you're trying to get some 'me time'!

Yes all the time. Me. I have wonderful conversations. Incredibly enlightening and i find I don’t often argue with myself.  :)  it’s a happy space. 

I still use a fair bit of snail mail. Personal preference.

2nd Class for most. I get four invoices in. Never been mislaid. I lose 18p a job for the privillage.Brief exercise to the post box.

Or I have to sit and scan them. One client yes have to do..dont mind the few pennies per invoice otherwise.

First class. Probably use 12 a year. Usual target is Aberdeen. First collection am means its there next day in my experience. 2nd Class slight delay of a day or two. Not often I need it.

The first class books are "special". Especially when some person in the house figured they make great stickers. I d tell the seven year old.to get back to school...but ...for here..alas thats not an option.

Posted (edited)

I use first class when I need to increase the chances it arrives earlier. I use second when its not that urgent. Simples. 

I generally don't post anything unless insisted upon. Some old school (annoying) people still insist on a hand signature copy on documents which is generally the only interaction I have with the post. I have an image of my signature on my desktop which probably gets used a couple of times a day, 99% of people and businesses accept electronic signatures now. So a complete pain in the arse when someone doesn't. Waste of ink printing. Waste of time signing it off. Waste of the cost of an envelope. Waste of a stamp cost. Burden on the environment. For what?

Edited by SillyBilly

There are still some benefits to paper copies of things.

I still get my bank statements posted because I don't trust online services to retain them for the mandated 7 year period if HMRC come knocking.

Forget what bank it was -- maybe Natwest? That lost a lot of previous statements and  this caused issues for people because it took them months to restore them.