DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Foreign Office Advisory - Is this enforced?

The Foreign Office is still advising against travel ... "COVID-19 Exceptional Travel Advisory Notice: The Foreign & Commonwealth Office currently advises British nationals against all but essential international travel."

Does anyone know if this is just advice or is it enforced at the UK borders?  I.e. Can people still travel (to foreign destinations which allow them entry) or will they be stopped from leaving at UK airports?

Reason I'm asking is that we have a family holiday to Germany booked for the 19th July.  Germany is letting travellers into their country as of June 15th.  So if the UK hasn't dropped its advice by then, are we able to go?

Also, we need to start cancelling accommodations from 19th June if we decide not to go and want a refund.  What does the hive mind think our chances of being able to go are?  Would you cancel now or take the risk that all will be well for travel by July 19th?

Edited by PaulParanoia
13 minutes ago, PaulParanoia said:

The Foreign Office is still advising against travel ... "COVID-19 Exceptional Travel Advisory Notice: The Foreign & Commonwealth Office currently advises British nationals against all but essential international travel."

Does anyone know if this is just advice or is it enforced at the UK borders?  I.e. Can people still travel (to foreign destinations which allow them entry) or will they be stopped from leaving at UK airports?

Reason I'm asking is that we have a family holiday to Germany booked for the 19th July.  Germany is letting travellers into their country as of June 15th.  So if the UK hasn't dropped its advice by then, are we able to go?

Also, we need to start cancelling accommodations from 19th June if we decide not to go and want a refund.  What does the hive mind think our chances of being able to go are?  Would you cancel now or take the risk that all will be well for travel by July 19th?

It is advisory, if you decide to travel though you won't be able to get travel insurance or if you already have it you will not be covered (while the advisory is in place).

We are on the same boat with flights/hotels booked for end of July to end of August in Greece, I am hoping flights will be cancelled by EasyJet and then I can cancel the rest (have until mid July to do so without penalties).

Family is shit-scared of Covid so the prospect of a staycation is not the anathema it was when I floated the idea in previous years.

Edited by t_v 🏅
1 hour ago, t_v 🏅 said:

It is advisory, if you decide to travel though you won't be able to get travel insurance or if you already have it you will not be covered (while the advisory is in place).

I guess in that situation we'd be relying on our EHIC cards in place of medical insurance.  I'm wondering if car hire insurance would be affected too.  

The good news is I had travel insurance when we booked. They said if we don't cancel and the advisory is still in place when we are due to go, they will pay out (minus any refunds we can get at that time). 

I think that's very poor of travel insurers. Is it even legal/enforceable? I can see why they might not want to take on the costs of your covid19 treatment, if any, as you were warned by HMG not to go. But if you injure yourself tripping over a starfish then surely that's covered?

I was thinking if I’m working from home presumably one can ‘quarantine’ after the holiday? Cheap holiday here I come I thought. However, as the opening poster seems to be advice against travel. But the shops are opening and the planes never stopped flying....

6 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

I was thinking if I’m working from home presumably one can ‘quarantine’ after the holiday? Cheap holiday here I come I thought. However, as the opening poster seems to be advice against travel. But the shops are opening and the planes never stopped flying....

Isn't it a right PITA though? If you follow the guidance properly (I have no doubt everyone will :Geek:), it is home incarceration without the ankle jewelery.

17 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

I think anyone going to Spain will ultimately regret it on many levels especially if you have to manage the expectations of others who are accompanying you, it will be very stressful.

My worry is somebody on the plane records a high temperature on arrival and suddenly you're all incarcerated for a fortnight.

3 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

I think anyone going to Spain will ultimately regret it on many levels especially if you have to manage the expectations of others who are accompanying you, it will be very stressful.

Excellent point. If the rest of the family are complaining because the water park isn't open it could be a miserable time.

6 hours ago, PaulParanoia said:

I travelled to France and back late May/early June. Filled in lots of forms before leaving and had proof of reason for travel. Not one border official or police asked to see the forms on way out or return. French police checked passports at border as normal and that was it. On the way back there were more officials than usual on arrival, saw them stop one person but could have been a random customs check. I travelled back before quarantine requirement started so might be different now.

3 hours ago, eight said:

My worry is somebody on the plane records a high temperature on arrival and suddenly you're all incarcerated for a fortnight.

Very good point.  Is there any official guidance from our shit government for how this scenario would play out? 

23 hours ago, Funn3r said:

I think that's very poor of travel insurers. Is it even legal/enforceable? I can see why they might not want to take on the costs of your covid19 treatment, if any, as you were warned by HMG not to go. But if you injure yourself tripping over a starfish then surely that's covered?

Most policies contain a provision to exclude payment for Starfish related Injuries

On 12/06/2020 at 16:54, Funn3r said:

Don't have a problem with... of course I'm assuming the Travel Insurance companies are reimbursing customers for periods where the insurance is unusable.

3 minutes ago, gilf said:

Don't have a problem with... of course I'm assuming the Travel Insurance companies are reimbursing customers for periods where the insurance is unusable.

Mine just had the brass neck to email asking me to renew. The premium has gone up as well. 

On 12/06/2020 at 21:24, maudit said:

I travelled to France and back late May/early June. Filled in lots of forms before leaving and had proof of reason for travel. Not one border official or police asked to see the forms on way out or return. French police checked passports at border as normal and that was it. On the way back there were more officials than usual on arrival, saw them stop one person but could have been a random customs check. I travelled back before quarantine requirement started so might be different now.

It’s cheaper just to plant mass media stories of over-zealous customs officers and draconian punishments, than it is to actually employ border control staff. They took the TV detector van idea and ran with it.

Soon there’ll just be cardboard cutouts of border control officers, like they do with cardboard policemen in shopping malls.