DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

What is left to return to normal?

Enough has returned to normal / near normal that it's time to start counting them down.

Social distancing (passim)

Tourism: accommodation, flights, attractions

Senior schools and universities

Nurseries

Clubs and societies (I'm ignoring the silly "virtual" stuff)

Festivals generally - it would have been the Falmouth sea shanty festival this weekend

Office working when you can work from home

Watching live sport (actually there, not on telly)

Amateur sport involving close contact

Swimming pools and gyms

Any others?

I haven't included those returning to normal on Monday like hairdressers.

I know some attractions are due to open up in July.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Beautiful Pubs.

Satch’s Vox Pop – Employees’ Lockdown V Post Lockdown Survey Employees were asked; What they liked / didn’t like During Lockdown and what they liked/ don’t like about After Lockdown. Counci

Magic Panacea sounds like somebody that Newcastle would sign from Alkmaar for £35M.

Posted Images

These are probably all captured under the aforementioned attractions but to be specific: Fun fairs, amusement arcades (pikeys must be starved of income about now), Legoland and zoos

Concert halls and live music venues in general

The West End

Cruise Ships

Banger racing, speedway or are these happening now?

and my personal favorite car boot sales and antique fairs

14 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

Fall under the category that could theoretically reopen as of June 1st. Practically they are not - may not be able to get insurance cover possibly?

51 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

These are probably all captured under the aforementioned attractions but to be specific: Fun fairs, amusement arcades (pikeys must be starved of income about now), Legoland and zoos

Concert halls and live music venues in general

The West End

Cruise Ships

Banger racing, speedway or are these happening now?

I hadn't thought of most of those; by "attractions" I meant theme parks and zoos.

I go to the short oval banger racing at St Day but I haven't heard of that happening recently; it's run on a shoestring so should be ok to return.

1 hour ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

They'll be on the 50k bounce back loans or 2k per month in furlough, or both. Otherwise they're not proper pikeys

I thought they were strictly cash only operations but maybe they’ve become more sophisticated in my absence? I’d have thought they’ve been busy removing catalytic converters from all the stationary vehicles to keep them afloat, but I didn’t say that...

7 minutes ago, dgul said:

Professional meetings.  (thinking of scientific meetings, industry coordination meetings, etc).

They're usually a bore, but that's where you shake hands and meet new potential customers/clients.  The virtual stuff is pointless in comparison (ie, they only have the boring useless part!)

What specific advantages are there to meeting together?

I know for our trustee meetings I miss the social side of it in the evening after meetings chatting about things we've gone over in meetings as well as the random stuff that gets discussed which adds to your whole life experience and often brings ideas through for other things. We do save £2500 a "set" of meetings though by not meeting and I think in these financially strict times it's probably a good saving to be making.

42 minutes ago, dgul said:

Professional meetings.  (thinking of scientific meetings, industry coordination meetings, etc).

They're usually a bore, but that's where you shake hands and meet new potential customers/clients.  The virtual stuff is pointless in comparison (ie, they only have the boring useless part!)

The whole exhibition / trade show business as well, huge sums of money invested and sent as a result of these things, a lot of them international too. 

The single biggest normal-preventer for me is stupid stupid queues to get into shops, which I can't stand.

I can't really avoid the weekly supermarket food run but otherwise I am just not going into any shops. Or pubs, or anywhere they want you to queue to get in. Gym will reopen soon I guess but if there's any sniff of messing about I will be cancelling membership after 15 years.  See how they like that if/when everyone does it.

48 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

What specific advantages are there to meeting together?

I can meet people, hear their problems and if they match the company's capabilities, do a bit of sell. 

• You can't rely on people publishing their problems (as often they either don't understand the full nature of their problem (ie, normally people try to replace 'okay thing/concept/approach' with 'the same but newer') or they have peripheral problems that they don't know about and thus think they don't have a need to resolve.  
  • This can result in something starting 'straight away', but more often the link/capability is filed away somewhere in their heads, and they'll remember when a new problem/need arises.
  • You absolutely can't rely on people going out and investigating how to resolve their problems -- this almost never happens.  But if you've got them to yourself for a couple of minutes during a tea-break (actually an explicit networking mini-session) then you can push the logic/capability of your approach.
  • Even having a chat with current or past customers will often highlight new things that they're interested in that you can help with (that they might not realise comes within the company's remit).
  • Obviously from the customers' points of view, they're getting valuable info on how to resolve problems they might not realise they had / are resolvable at all / might be resolvable for less then they'd thought.

The particularly painful part about losing this marketing channel (even if just temporary), is that the big international players will remain as the 'go-to' solution for many -- they might be crap and/or expensive, but potential customers will just go there if they've not heard of any other potential channel.  And that relationship is powerful, so post-lockdown they'll continue to get the cream of contracts for some time even with me trying to sell my company's capabilities.  So the big companies get all the benefits (furlough pay, big loans thrown at them) and get their competition stifled for a bit.

36 minutes ago, onlyme said:

The whole exhibition / trade show business as well, huge sums of money invested and sent as a result of these things, a lot of them international too. 

Excel and NEC aren't availabe for a while

The governing body of motor cycle sport the ACU is sort of opening up competition again. The clubs and participants are ready to go but the insurance conditions are so onerous it is impossible for organisers to break even on costs so clubs will not run events. Practice events subject to different conditions are going ahead.

5 hours ago, Funn3r said:

The single biggest normal-preventer for me is stupid stupid queues to get into shops, which I can't stand.

I can't really avoid the weekly supermarket food run but otherwise I am just not going into any shops. Or pubs, or anywhere they want you to queue to get in. Gym will reopen soon I guess but if there's any sniff of messing about I will be cancelling membership after 15 years.  See how they like that if/when everyone does it.

I just do it online now. Tesco delivery slots are easy to find. If only I had neighbours, I could make a song and dance about how I'm depriving the Holy NHS workers of their delivery slots, even if it isn't true now :(