• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

In an increasingly insane world it might be the last bastion of sanity!  I imagine there are some bat shit crazy masons, but I imagine there are also some very decent people who share the views of many on here.  Why not give it a go.. 

11 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

What do people think?

Very tempted.  I just don't like the idea of secret societies and being beholden to them.  I'd make a useless Mafioso too.

just couldn't take all the mumbo jumbo seriously, fortunately not needed it as part of my career. Some people seem pretty anti mason, calling them witches etc, so suspect it's not the innocent organisation it claims to be.

I have a friend whose other half is a grand wizard chief or whatever they call themselves.  He's a complete arsehole.  That may or may not be an unrepresentative sample but if he's the one in charge of the others then I'd guess he's got to be doing something they like.

5 minutes ago, Loki said:

Very tempted.  I just don't like the idea of secret societies and being beholden to them.  I'd make a useless Mafioso too.

From my link they don't seem very secret.

In some ways they seem to have found a way to unite all religions.

But as I don't have a religion, I can't join.

Just now, Wight Flight said:

You have to believe in a God not religion.

Just now, Sasquatch said:

It appears that you need to believe in god. That's me out then!

Yep,   me too..   I'm somewhat agnostic.

It appears to be a charitable organisation (or at least that's how they present themselves).     I'm not sure I'm really that interested in doing charity dinners every month as a past time though..   plus I'd probably get kicked out for not wanting to give to whichever charity was their flavour of the month.

I do like that they've managed to remain exclusively male though..  it's good blokes can still do "bloke things" if they wish.

There's a big difference between the US and the UK, I think - in the US when I have been there I've seen posters on the transport networks advertising local masonic halls and stuff.  Seems more like a big order of the Elks over there?

3 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I have a friend whose other half is a grand wizard chief or whatever they call themselves.  He's a complete arsehole.  That may or may not be an unrepresentative sample but if he's the one in charge of the others then I'd guess he's got to be doing something they like.

Back at school,  one of my mates dads was a Freemason.  

He seemed pretty ok..    to the point of being a bit boring,  but not in a particularly bad way.   

Certainly a lot less mental than his wife...

5 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

You could just lie

26 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Not sure if they have been discussed here before.

If I was eligible to join, I might consider it. I see no harm.

https://www.iowlodge.co.uk/events/index.php/who-are-we

I would guess we have at least one here.

What do people think?

I am one never met more helpful or kind people, average age of my lode is quite old 

5 minutes ago, Straingone said:

You have to believe in a God not religion.

Nope. Still don't qualify.

The thing is I enjoyed my time in round table but am too old for that, but feel I am 20 years too young for Rotary, and not quite boring enough for the lions.

But as a godless person, masons aren't for me.

1 minute ago, ad_ceng said:

I am one never met more helpful or kind people, average age of my lode is quite old 

Have been in a few lodges as a guest when they have been used for functions and I think age is free-masonries biggest problem and why many lodges will ultimately fold.

Just now, Chewing Grass said:

Have been in a few lodges as a guest when they have been used for functions and I think age is free-masonries biggest problem and why many lodges will ultimately fold.

Yes one of lodges did fold up this year sadly 

Just now, Wight Flight said:

Interesting.

And have you borrowed Spy's ketboard?

yes sorry, if you are interested and want know more I am happy to chat about it. 

It has been one of the most interesting things I have done

2 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

That might explain why I started this thread. I got an advert on Facebook.

Clearly they are embracing new marketing channels.

Just now, Straingone said:

Free masonry is not for everyone. Quite often members don't continue after being admitted.

Society would massively benefit from more of is adhering to the somewhat old fashioned Masonic teachings.

I personally enjoy it and have found it to be instructive.

One of the best things I have done, companion orders are fun as well