Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Old roller mowers


Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, dgul said:

Suffolk Punch.  Possibly 35 (or 35s).

Yep those things are superb quality. Not cheap though, or at least they weren't last time I looked. I bought one years ago from a mechanic who worked on a golf course. He used to buy them in from people, service them and do them up and sell them on for a tidy profit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting cylinder mowers to work nicely is a bit of an art and I believe a special lathe like machine is needed to sharpen them properly, but if you get a kick out of tinkering with old engines why not? Grass cutting and cylinder mowers seems to be a hobby that gives pleasure to many men. When I worked for turf / grounds maintenance in my youth, decent quality rotary mowers with a driven roller on the back were the preferred option for domestic lawns because they were more reliable in a commercial setting. Expect initial get it working and some maintenance work with old British machinery, especially if the mower retains the original Villiers or whatever engine. 

https://oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dgul said:

Suffolk Punch.  Possibly 35 (or 35s).

My first job, at 12 or 13, was cutting the grass for a solicitor with a beautiful garden.

The Suffolk Punch was a wonderful machine for the lawn, which was as pert as a bowling green.

He also had a big Victa rotary mower for the orchard, that was a beast.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

Getting cylinder mowers to work nicely is a bit of an art and I believe a special lathe like machine is needed to sharpen them properly, but if you get a kick out of tinkering with old engines why not? Grass cutting and cylinder mowers seems to be a hobby that gives pleasure to many men. When I worked for turf / grounds maintenance in my youth, decent quality rotary mowers with a driven roller on the back were the preferred option for domestic lawns because they were more reliable in a commercial setting. Expect initial get it working and some maintenance work with old British machinery, especially if the mower retains the original Villiers or whatever engine. 

https://oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/

Welcome To The Old Lawnmower Club

Old England still alive! B| 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Friend of mine swears by his Suffolk Punch which he had restored by some old boy in his village. Said it's much better than modern cheapo pushalongs.

I have a modern cheapo pushalong which works OK as I only have a tiny pocket-handkerchief lawn. I sharpen the blades myself with one of those knife sharpeners with two metal discs arranged in a 'V' shape which you can get from ironmongers for about £2.50. It works well and beats paying £30+ every year for it to be done professionally.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dgul said:

Suffolk Punch.  Possibly 35 (or 35s).

Think mine is the 35s. Too much mower for garden really, especially  as just been given lithium powered which is fine for the quality of grass. The Punch was silly cheap at auction and couldn't resist it, can make money back on selling on the scarifier attachment that was in the lot   @spunko if interested let me know, good service and sure would work like new, if you want it is yours.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/06/2020 at 18:25, onlyme said:

Think mine is the 35s. Too much mower for garden really, especially  as just been given lithium powered which is fine for the quality of grass. The Punch was silly cheap at auction and couldn't resist it, can make money back on selling on the scarifier attachment that was in the lot   @spunko if interested let me know, good service and sure would work like new, if you want it is yours.

 

Gee thanks. What kind of price are you looking for? I'm still in the research stage but the Suffolk Punch seems to be the best of the cheaper ones, and I don't think my lawn is flat enough to take an Allett etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My last house had over an acre of grass, so I had a ride-on mower.

The servicing costs were astronomical - more than for a car. The problem was I had no real alternative, as getting it to another mower servicer further away would have resulted in high transport costs.

Bloody rip-off. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/06/2020 at 11:51, spunko said:

I have a Hayter Spirit 41 but it's crap really. Looking to buy an old, used roller mower which are meant to be the best. Does anyone know what this one is? I am sure there must be a collector or two on here.

 

 

Screenshot_2020-06-16 Gardeners' World - 2020 Episode 13.png

Why is it crap ? 

If it`s not cutting well the cylinder and bar needs sharpening 

The principle is the same for all 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/06/2020 at 09:05, spunko said:

Gee thanks. What kind of price are you looking for? I'm still in the research stage but the Suffolk Punch seems to be the best of the cheaper ones, and I don't think my lawn is flat enough to take an Allett etc. 

Free, present for running this site, I can get my money back on the scarifier attachment which is an entirely optional unit and not one I bothered using. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

Christopher Timothy's career's come a long way since 'All Creatures Great and Small'.....

Christ this takes me back. My job out of Uni (and in summers) was using massive cylinder mowers (atcos) on some old Manor house lawn (among other garden fuckery). I loved it (stripe OCD) and me and my boss spent hours squaring blades. Stone strikes on rotaries just don't matter as much but rotaries are bodgery of the highest order. Grass butchers. Basically we used to do a FOD check before mowing. Bending a cylinder was a sackable offence.

I remember mowing a pub lawn with the smaller machine and getting a right bollocking when I failed to spot a concrete base which totally fucked the blade. Happy days!

That said I now use a rotary because I have bastard kids that fuck my lawn up with aplomb. This post made me sad.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...