Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Boris Ends Foreign Aid..


Recommended Posts

Quote

Foreign Office and International Development merger will curb 'giant cashpoint' of UK aid, PM pledges

Boris Johnson says it will "unite our aid with our diplomacy" but is accused of "destroying a key aspect of global Britain"

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-to-merge-foreign-office-and-international-development-offices-into-new-department-12007870

 

Think that's something people here have been calling for for a while ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Well now that they have all moved to the west, they can get the aid directly through the bennie system.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Mr Cummings name all over it  "to merge" i.e sack some civil servants

The man has a huge target painted on his back 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Darude said:

What makes you think there will be redundancies? Probably need an extra layer of management now the department is twice the size.

Because people are crying already ,do you think they care about who`s boss ?

Quote

Tory MP and former international development secretary Andrew Mitchell also said it is a "quite extraordinary mistake" that will "destroy one of the most effective and respected engines of international development anywhere in the world".

"Many of the senior figures who are key to Britain's role as a development superpower will likely leave and go elsewhere in the international system - at a stroke destroying a key aspect of global Britain," he added.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Darude said:

Showmanship to keep the proles happy. Note what wasn't announced: a cut in foreign aid spending. It will also make it harder to calculate the size of the aid budget in future as the lines between strategic and development spending will all get blurred so they will be able to report any number they like as the aid budget.

Exactly. It will basically be a rebranding. Keep the low information patriotards happy, but keep the spigot flowing. The 'Oh noes, cuts, austerity, heartlessness' is just co-ordinated theatrics.

 

Same with all these 'abolish the police' cities. The police will still be there, they'll just be called 'peace officers' replete with LGBT badges and pink outfits.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JackieO said:

Fat jock cunt Blackford is losing his shit too, so maybe a step in the right direction.

Seems like it's mainly a merger of the FCO with some foreign aid department set up in 1997.

Hmm, remind me who took over the government in 1997.  Might explain why some of the Civil might not be happy about that department being merged/abolished.

Edited by Austin Allegro
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Seems like it's mainly a merger of the FCO with some foreign aid department set up in 1997.

Hmm, remind me who took over the government in 1997.  Might explain why some of the Civil might not be happy about that department being merged/abolished.

I noted Boris reference to 1997 too...hmm what happened back then :Old:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JackieO said:

Localism is even better.

Not for my money. Localism is just an excuse for duplication of petty bureaucracies across the country. I would close every local authority in the country and replace them with a more sensible national or regional system of governance. Imagine a company running its UK operation like councils. Mental. We are a tiny country and do not require an office in basically every large town and city. Pareto applies here. Sack 80% and get the remaining 20% to do some actual value added work instead of all this sucking on the taxpayers' teat.

And a national land value tax with no exceptions would provide the shires with an economic boost far greater than any localism agenda I have ever heard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Long time lurking said:

Because people are crying already ,do you think they care about who`s boss ?

Andrew Mitchell is a Tory MP and therefore Johnson and Cummings are his bosses. Do you not think Tory MPs have to get clearance from Number 10 before talking to the press so the boss can approve the message?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Darude said:

Andrew Mitchell is a Tory MP and therefore Johnson and Cummings are his bosses. Do you not think Tory MPs have to get clearance from Number 10 before talking to the press so the boss can approve the message?

No i don`t

So all the those calling for Cummings to resign a couple of weeks ago had the go ahead from Boris to do so ?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, deathfunk said:

Not for my money. Localism is just an excuse for duplication of petty bureaucracies across the country. I would close every local authority in the country and replace them with a more sensible national or regional system of governance. Imagine a company running its UK operation like councils. Mental. We are a tiny country and do not require an office in basically every large town and city. Pareto applies here. Sack 80% and get the remaining 20% to do some actual value added work instead of all this sucking on the taxpayers' teat.

And a national land value tax with no exceptions would provide the shires with an economic boost far greater than any localism agenda I have ever heard.

 I  guess localism won't work too well in already enriched areas. 

Edited by JackieO
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is actually the second time DfID has been part of the FCO, it was founded as its own ministry in the 1960s and then merged into the FCO in 1970 where it remained until 1997.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Department_for_International_Development#History

Same thing happens in all large organisations. Senior management sees two departments which overlap a bit, merges them, things carry on okay but the two pieces are clearly operating like sub-departments within a single department, then another generation of senior management thinks it would be better to split them out so they can better focus on their core functions or somesuch. Rinse and repeat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Darude said:

This is actually the second time DfID has been part of the FCO, it was founded as its own ministry in the 1960s and then merged into the FCO in 1970 where it remained until 1997.

Yes,  despite the strong language this appears to be a reshuffle rather than a radical reduction in foreign bribe/aid spending.

Perhaps it's more to placate his centre right voting base after calling moderate veterans violent right wing extremists over the weekend.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...