• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
steppensheep

wobbly knee

Time to discuss my more sensitive body parts. I hurt my knee running. It happened "suddenly" in the sense one day I was fine, and the next day when I went for a run, I knew immediately something was wrong. Three weeks rest didn't seem to help any. It feels kind of unstable when I try and stand up or when I fully extend my leg, but there isn't really any pain.  It doesn't hurt at all when I exercise it "in the air" or when I walk, although I may be walking in a slightly more robotic style than usual. I don't think it is "runner's knee" which is caused by friction of the knee cap moving. I can feel a bit of a funny-but-not-exactly-painful feeling that goes from inner bottom of my kneecap down to my shin.

Please share your anecdotes about how you had similar problems cured by consulting anonymous online self professed experts, or as a last resort, the nhs. Bonus upvotes for any suggestions for crank diets or self prescribed online drugs.

With running injuries, give yourself a complete break from running for as long as you thing necessary for the problem to have resolved itself, then give it as long again.  You felt three weeks was about right -- you should have given it 6 weeks.

27 minutes ago, One percent said:

Day surgery sorts it. 

That sounds encouraging :)

21 minutes ago, dgul said:

With running injuries, give yourself a complete break from running for as long as you thing necessary for the problem to have resolved itself, then give it as long again.  You felt three weeks was about right -- you should have given it 6 weeks.

That sounds discouraging :( 

I used to love running then suddenly developed a fierce pain on inside of right knee. The Doc said it was arthritis from an old skiing injury. I never went running again as it was torture the next day.

So I bought a mountain bike.  No knee problems what-so-ever.

56 minutes ago, dgul said:

Yep.

Had that with a calf pull. Went for a gentle jog every month, if I coudl feel it all whilst doing that then running was out of question.   

4 hours ago, MrPin said:

Nobody was "born to run" like Bruce Springsteen, and as one of my ladyfriends points out, he has a very wide arse!

There is a fairly well regarded theory of human evolution that say that we were born to run -- that long distance running (after prey) was a specific evolutionary advantage for humans.

Something like this: https://www.nature.com/news/2004/041115/full/news041115-9.html

[nice line in that news report, apposite re. your Springsteen line -- In fact, running seems to be the only reason that we have prominent buttocks, says Lieberman. ]

Edited by dgul

3 minutes ago, dgul said:

There is a fairly well regarded theory of human evolution that say that we were born to run -- that long distance running (after prey) was a specific evolutionary advantage for humans.

Something like this: https://www.nature.com/news/2004/041115/full/news041115-9.html

[nice line in that news report, apposite re. your Springsteen line -- In fact, running seems to be the only reason that we have prominent buttocks, says Lieberman. ]

I believe that's now been widely discredited and that actually our legs are designed for stealthily creeping up on things.