• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Libspero

ZeroHedge Demonetised By UK Activist Group

I can’t say I ever read it much,  I thought it was mostly a borderline conspiracy webpage who sometimes dig up a good scoop..   but apparently it has managed to upset some of the (British)  Neo-Marxists.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/google-demonetizes-zero-hedge

NBC nevertheless patted itself on the back for a job well done, bragging that its “News Verification Unit” notified Google of “research conducted by the Center for Countering Digital Hate,” a UK outfit that lobbies social media platforms to censor “wrongthink”perpetrators.

CCDH runs a “Stop Funding Fake News” campaign, attempting to guilt brands that have made statements in support of Black Lives Matter into pulling their ads from platforms that publish stories that don’t fit the accepted narrative about the movement.

36 minutes ago, Paulie said:

Diversity obviously doesn't apply when it comes to news sites. 

Or search engines, or ad platforms.or social media systems.

There's a wide open goal to shoot for,  surely the alternatives will begin to flourish.

I doubt Google were patrolling ToS, it's more likely the mods were just overly sensitive to that being the case. They didn't want to risk their tiny ad revenue being dropped on the off chance Google appeared. 

ZeroHedge should move to a subscription model, it'd make reading their site a lot easier. 

13 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Google is having a corrosive effect upon freedom of speech; surely it is time to start applying monopoly legislation upon it as that is its position.  Limit the percentage of online advertising which it is able to control for starters.

It is, after all, the reason we are here because Google Ads was forcing censoring of ToS.  It would demand removal of a risque picture and there would be an admonishment from the mods.

When pushed because nobody could remember it being there in the first place it would typically turn out to be from six months' ago but the google search engine had found it and was demanding its removal.

I am 90% Duckduckgo searches on my PCs and only resort to Google search when I want a custom date filter.

I was also very unhappy when they took over Fitbit as I havd had five successive Fitbits and really liked each improvement.  Now that I know that Google is tracking how much exercise I take and when I will be looking at the alternatives when my current one starts to play up.

I like the principle of DuckDuckGo but Google searches are often more useful for me. The spying fuckers know so much about me, I guess, that the searches are better targeted.

I'm wondering if I could create a sort of virtual me with all my preferences/likes/dislikes that could be my online Google presence but untraceable to me.

9 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I like the principle of DuckDuckGo but Google searches are often more useful for me. The spying fuckers know so much about me, I guess, that the searches are better targeted.

I'm wondering if I could create a sort of virtual me with all my preferences/likes/dislikes that could be my online Google presence but untraceable to me.

The nearest I have to a virtual me is to have an "online birthday" which I use for all non-vital sites (basically UK gov and investments); I've had this for maybe twenty years and started using it when I was entering lots of online competitions.

That way if people copy my details from hacking a less secure site then they will find that the birth date they have is incorrect for the really important sites.

Vanity of course made me set it slightly younger ;)

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, spunko said:

It should have been obvious this would happen anyway. Try googling 'zeroh' nothing comes up for them. 

Just tried to, it came up ok....

..........as I typed I was thinking......what does it say of democracy if there are no right wing small state parties to vote for...... and Boris ain't right wing.

Edit.....but, I guess all government is, by definition, left wing?..

Edited by nickc

26 minutes ago, spunko said:

I doubt Google were patrolling ToS, it's more likely the mods were just overly sensitive to that being the case. They didn't want to risk their tiny ad revenue being dropped on the off chance Google appeared. 

ZeroHedge should move to a subscription model, it'd make reading their site a lot easier. 

I think there was some "scraping" going on from Google with regard to those pictures because I really couldn't see a mod bothering to go back fifty pages to check if there was anything untoward.

I don't know the technicalities but the phrasing of the admonishment suggested that it was repeating something that somebody else had found.  When whoever had posted it, I'll blame @ccc, said they hadn't posted anything like that then the "offending" picture would be dug out from several months prior.

Moderators just don't operate like that; if you spot something then you deal with it there and then.  You don't wait six months or start reading through six month old posts to see if there was anything back then to which you object.

2 minutes ago, nickc said:

Just tried to, it came up ok....

..........as I typed I was thinking......what does it say of democracy if there are no right wing small state parties to vote for...... and Boris ain't right wing.

It says that Soros has spent his billions wisely and purchased it.

You can now vote for whoever you want as long as they are globalists, wedded to an all-encompassing welfare state, and in favour of high levels of immigration.

Boris doesn't appear to have any political convictions.  I voted for him to make sure that Brexit happened as that was the deal he offered and he looks to be delivering upon that.

52 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Google is having a corrosive effect upon freedom of speech; surely it is time to start applying monopoly legislation upon it as that is its position.  Limit the percentage of online advertising which it is able to control for starters.

They are on the radar.

23 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It says that Soros has spent his billions wisely and purchased it.

You can now vote for whoever you want as long as they are globalists, wedded to an all-encompassing welfare state, and in favour of high levels of immigration.

Boris doesn't appear to have any political convictions.  I voted for him to make sure that Brexit happened as that was the deal he offered and he looks to be delivering upon that.

I find it interesting that David Cameron came to power with the promise of a “great repeal bill” to wind back the erosion of our liberties under new labour, but when “delivered” it wasn’t great at all, barely a token gesture.

Now Boris has come to power with the promise of a “great repeal bill” to wind back the erosion of our national identity under the EU. I suspect when it gets delivered it will not be what people were hoping for.

5 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I find it interesting that David Cameron came to power with the promise of a “great repeal bill” to wind back the erosion of our liberties under new labour, but when “delivered” it wasn’t great at all, barely a token gesture.

Now Boris has come to power with the promise of a “great repeal bill” to wind back the erosion of our national identity under the EU. I suspect when it gets delivered it will not be what people were hoping for.

I had geninely forgotten that about Cameron.

To me he was brought in because he seemed both as passionate as Tony Blair whilst sharing with him the lack of any actual political convictions bar self-enrichment.  A typical PR man.

The only things approaching policy conviction about him that I remembered were obsessions with the incredibly minor issues of gay marriage and foreign aid with Osborne making all the real decisions. 

Not that I liked what Osborne was doing.

22 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I'm coming to believe more and more that the Tories are only in favour of Brexit because they can use it to promote more globalism, not less.
The only good thing is that this does involve changes to the levers of government which could then possibly be used by a future government which genuinely cares about the British people, their constitution and their culture, but I'm not holding my breath.

4 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I'm coming to believe more and more that the Tories are only in favour of Brexit because they can use it to promote more globalism, not less.
The only good thing is that this does involve changes to the levers of government which could then possibly be used by a future government which genuinely cares about the British people, their constitution and their culture, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not saying that you're wrong but with the EU the whole concept of the nation state was being deliberately eroded and you either dragged yourself out of now or allowed yourself to be swallowed up.

Getting out is not a panacea but it at least halts an otherwise inevitable process.

35 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

exactly the same with William (lord....ffs) Hague......sounded real no nonsense tory......ended up wearing a fucking base ball hat.....

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I use Google periodically but never have it as the default search engine.

Make them work for their information.

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

The whole reason Google is so dominant is because they got search right. They based it on the novel idea of actually looking at the content rather than trusting the website to provide a reliable assessment of the content, it was so easy to game the old search engines the web was not fit for purpose search wise prior to Google.

They are still great at it, even if they add in a bit for their own purposes.

Time is money, if I'm searching for a kettle then whatever... at work I need to know the answer as quickly as possible, Google is still the only option.

It's a bit like Linux used to be, every so often you would switch to see how far it had come, you liked it initially but you ultimately ended up deciding it still wasn't quite there yet as there were just a few too many concessions.

----

Just did a little experiment, had an issue yesterday, solved by a 5 minute Google. Just tried to find the solution in duckduckgo... not there, at least not in any easy to search for manner. in duckduckgo once you got past the 4th item in the list the results became completely irrelevant. Essentially the equivalent of "ford focus gear box issue" and the 4th result talking about boot space in a Citroen, the 4th item didn't contain a key element in the search terms, and element that google recognised as the key method of searching i.e. exhaust all possible results with it until we start to look more broadly without it.

The search algorithms are just not advanced enough, I suspect their keyword weighting isn't great. I'm sure you could compensate for that but in googles case it works well with just a small understand of how to use search terms.

----

I'm saying all this from a position of not wanting to use Google, search is the only thing I do use of theirs.